What is the Rush studio album you listen to least?

YYZumbi

90 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Rush studio album you listen to least?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails (Original or Remixed dosent matter)
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

"Vapor Snails" is by far their worst musical effort. I bough the remix version hoping I could stomach it and instead I had to turn it off within twenty minutes.

"The way out is the way in" I want out of this record. The way in is pure shit.

I must say as much of a Vapor Trails hater as I am, the vinyl isn't to bad at all. Shocked me to be honest. I listened all the way through the other day and it didn't annoy me at all and I didn't even need to get to the medicine cabinet for the Excedrin. Go figure... :huh:
  • Like 2

I can't believe the lack of love for the first album. Yeah, Neil's not on it, so what. The songs are solid and stellar for a debut. TFE is by far the least 'Rush' Rush album. Every nerd knows that. :D
  • Like 2

I can't believe the lack of love for the first album. Yeah, Neil's not on it, so what. The songs are solid and stellar for a debut. TFE is by far the least 'Rush' Rush album. Every nerd knows that. :D

Makes me shake my head every time the debut comes up and this thread is no exception. I just don't get it either... :sigh: :wacko:

Makes me shake my head every time the debut comes up and this thread is no exception. I just don't get it either... :sigh: :wacko:

It would be interesting to know if the age of the voter counts in whether someone likes the debut.

It would be interesting to know if the age of the voter counts in whether someone likes the debut.

Indeed. But even the younger crews ought to recognize what a blistering debut it was, especially for that time and era in rock. I think it's almost certainly more 'loyalty' to the professor than anything else. How many people would've changed their vote if the album sounded EXACTLY the same, but Peart played on it? Methinks a fair amount. To rank Vapor Trails or Test for Echo over the debut, it boggles the mind.

• Like 1

Indeed. But even the younger crews ought to recognize what a blistering debut it was, especially for that time and era in rock. I think it's almost certainly more 'loyalty' to the professor than anything else. How many people would've changed their vote if the album sounded EXACTLY the same, but Peart played on it? Methinks a fair amount. To rank Vapor Trails or Test for Echo over the debut, it boggles the mind.

Yeah I agree. That amazes me too.

It is a matter of taste. But the debut is growing on me more and more lately. Breathtaking in places, especially when I take into consideration their ages and experience.

It is a matter of taste. But the debut is growing on me more and more lately. Breathtaking in places, especially when I take into consideration their ages and experience.

It's an extraordinary piece of work considering its release era and its out-the-gate sound. Groundbreaking yet also fitting the period, pre-synth, pre-prog. It's basically their only 'hard rock' album. Tracks like Finding My Way, In the Mood, Need Some Love, Working Man, Here Again - in 1974? Seriously, think about it. When ABBA, the Carpenters, BTO, and Kool and the Gang were leading the charts. And boom, Rush drops Rush. Seems pretty no brainer to me.

• Like 1

Its decent enough for what it is. Very basic. I mean the jump from Rush to FBN is drastic. Even if Rutsey has stayed on the progression would have likely been as apparent.

Still though its a differnet band. NP is a whole nother universe. They were better off.

It's an extraordinary piece of work considering its release era and its out-the-gate sound. Groundbreaking yet also fitting the period, pre-synth, pre-prog. It's basically their only 'hard rock' album. Tracks like Finding My Way, In the Mood, Need Some Love, Working Man, Here Again - in 1974? Seriously, think about it. When ABBA, the Carpenters, BTO, and Kool and the Gang were leading the charts. And boom, Rush drops Rush. Seems pretty no brainer to me.

Actually abba didnt hit the world wide charts until 1975 and Kool was still a deep funk band several years away from chart topping activity.

However, Helen Reddy? Bread??. ;)

Edited by Digital Dad

Test for Echo. Driven is the only track that gets any play.
  • Like 1

T4E and VT are excellent, hard rock albums. Rush is fun and nice, but really is only better than the PoW-Presto string (and obviously CP and S&A...but those are a given).

The problem with that thinking is that Rush is an album far behind its times, and it doesn't do anything better than its influences. I like it a lot, but it isn't close to the best in its genre. Later on, Rush developed its own genre.

• Like 3

The problem with that thinking is that Rush is an album far behind its times, and it doesn't do anything better than its influences. I like it a lot, but it isn't close to the best in its genre. Later on, Rush developed its own genre.

Agreed. that album had been done and much better then Rush in my view.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I agree. It isn't the same listening to it today - forty years later in time. Back when it came out it fell far short of what was on the charts and being played on the radio by other bands.

It would be interesting to see what was released at the same time as Rush.

I agree. It isn't the same listening to it today - forty years later in time. Back when it came out it fell far short of what was on the charts and being played on the radio by other bands.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1974

http://www.bestevera...tats.php?y=1974

Thank you for that link. I bookmarked it.

Rush was up against rock giants. It's surprising they weren't buried by them.

• Like 1