Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Freedom_Fighter

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't that impressed it was ok but I think I need to read the books to get alot of the missing links in the movie for one why didn't they show the others getting their Eggs?

Just seemed to jump around alot for me.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Nov 30 2005, 08:49 PM)
well the thing is the fourth book was over 700 pages where as the first three were all under 500. it was a drastically bigger book so maybe it kinda sux that it was just jumpy but you really can't blame them for that. but as i said i personally still thought the movie went pretty smoothly.

I'll have to check it out again when it comes out on DVD.

It was pretty good. Like I said seems like It was missing "something" that they had in the first two. What that is I couldn't say just got that vibe from the movie I am sure it's just me I tend to be harsh when it comes to movies.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Nov 30 2005, 05:49 PM)
well the thing is the fourth book was over 700 pages where as the first three were all under 500. it was a drastically bigger book so maybe it kinda sux that it was just jumpy but you really can't blame them for that. but as i said i personally still thought the movie went pretty smoothly.

i remember reading a quote from the director talking about how long book 4 was and saying at first they were thinking of maybe making TWO movies for book 4 before he figured out what the dramatic heart of the book was and that he could pull it off in one. i think he was on to something with that first thought.

watching a harry potter movie, especially the last couple, is like reading a reader's digest version of the book or maybe cliff's notes. it'll give you the general idea and a fair amount of the story, but huge chunks are cleaved out in the wake of condensing it. one thing a movie almost has to get wrong by definition in this scenario is to COMPLETELY change the pacing of the story. where with 700 pages, rowling got to liesurely lead the reader through all the intricate ins and outs of the story and harry's thoughts, setting a nice comfortable pace to wrap your mind around it all, the movie changes the pace dramatically to give an ENTIRELY different feel and experience, and to me, unfortunately, a far lesser experience. still great, but if you really want to know what harry potter is about, you HAVE to read the books.

They should make a move thats like 4 hours with a small intermission if people can't sit that long. I think it would be fine...10 min intermission and people can talk about what happened and stuff.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 2 2005, 09:58 AM)
They should make a move thats like 4 hours with a small intermission if people can't sit that long. I think it would be fine...10 min intermission and people can talk about what happened and stuff.

actually i think they shoulda just made it three. that extra half hour would be plenty enough to add in the somewhat vital stuff they left out.

I finally got to see the movie. I can see what you're saying as far as the movie being rushed, you didn't get the same feel for Hogwarts as you do in the previous films, it's just one task to the next.

That's my one complaint. This movie had me at the river-dancing leprechaun. I thought it was great. I like that the movie focuses on the kids more. It's their film, and while we all love the teachers, the stories are never about them, and the movie should not emphasize them just because the actors are superior. I really like the actor they got to play Dumbledore, and I thought Moody was awesome.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Dec 2 2005, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 2 2005, 09:58 AM)
They should make a move thats like 4 hours with a small intermission if people can't sit that long.  I think it would be fine...10 min intermission and people can talk about what happened and stuff.

actually i think they shoulda just made it three. that extra half hour would be plenty enough to add in the somewhat vital stuff they left out.

Hmm.. well I wouldn't know because I'm not a movie director.

I enjoyed the movie, but I'm always upset that they leave all the effing GOOD parts out. But I loved the Harry/Moaning Myrtle bathtub scene. Despite the fact that I find him not at all attractive, and he's still the worst actor ever. [/mean]

I bawled my eyes out, though. After Cedric died, and his dad was all, "That's my son!" Yep. Cue waterworks, in a completely non-drooling sort of manner. fists crying.gif

It was a good movie!

Forget the flippin books....will ya?

I read them, they are good, but these movies stand on their own. (well mostly)

For the next movie....do we really want an hour and a half of Prof Umbridge? Thats what it would take to be "true to the book".

GET OVER IT. tongue.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Dec 12 2005, 08:25 AM)
It was a good movie!

Forget the flippin books....will ya?

I read them, they are good, but these movies stand on their own. (well mostly)

For the next movie....do we really want an hour and a half of Prof Umbridge? Thats what it would take to be "true to the book".

GET OVER IT. tongue.gif

i hear what you're saying, but somehow it's too hard to forget the books while watching the movies. i've read them too many times and am just too familiar with them not to notice the huge chunks torn out and the ultra fast pacing of the movies. movies 1 & 2 didn't bother me, probably because the books were much shorter, far less was removed and the movies were therefore able to go along a bit more liesurely, but 3 & 4 just felt like ultra-hurried reader's digest versions of the books with so much of the subtlety, story and feel of the books taken out. my wife and i have been listening to book 6 on cd and we can't help but say every once in awhile while some scene is taking place, "you know THIS scene will never make the movie!" admittedly, many of those "scenes" that are ripped out are not absolutely crucial to the general arc of the story, but those diversions, minor characters and more subtle shadings are what make those books so full and rich. i still enjoy the movies, and will watch them for many years to come, but when i want a dose of the real harry potter, i go back to the books.

THE DVD COMES OUT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ura1.gif http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/yahoo.gif http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/woohoo.gif