Top 20 Rush songs...

savagegrace26

Well I think Presto is a beautiful and criminally underrated album (currently rank it 3rd of all Rush albums for me) and Presto is my favorite song they've done since 1989. My favorite track from CA is The Anarchist and I'd probably rank Presto, Available Light and The Pass above that track. While CA is very good it doesn't touch Presto unless being louder, noisier, and overly dense musically somehow equates to better. Presto's crisp and clear production (specifically with the Remasters) also blows away CA's mix. Presto is also lyrically and musically more creative and imaginative. I think CA is borderline great but much less interesting than Presto overall.

I think I need to check out that Presto remaster.

As long as I don't have to buy a box set just to get it. . . . Geez, I don't want to pay good money for something I already have!

Am i the only one who likes Presto just the way it is? I will take Presto's "thin" production over Roll The Bones "shiny" production anyday.

It also sounds better than Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows, Clockwork Angels, Signals and Fly By Night. It really is overrated to underrate such a great album.

Have you checked out the remaster? A couple of folks here seem keen on it.

Just a couple of people. Those who are keen on it probably can't pass a drug screening

I think that would be more applicable to people who are keen on the muddiness of CA. At least Presto has always had space and clarity.

Space and clarity doesn't make Presto a good record. Good songs make a record worth the listen. CA has it clobbered in that department. Presto is a weak record with a couple of good songs.

Well I think Presto is a beautiful and criminally underrated album (currently rank it 3rd of all Rush albums for me) and Presto is my favorite song they've done since 1989. My favorite track from CA is The Anarchist and I'd probably rank Presto, Available Light and The Pass above that track. While CA is very good it doesn't touch Presto unless being louder, noisier, and overly dense musically somehow equates to better. Presto's crisp and clear production (specifically with the Remasters) also blows away CA's mix. Presto is also lyrically and musically more creative and imaginative. I think CA is borderline great but much less interesting than Presto overall.

As long as I don't have to buy a box set just to get it. . . . Geez, I don't want to pay good money for something I already have!

Am i the only one who likes Presto just the way it is? I will take Presto's "thin" production over Roll The Bones "shiny" production anyday.

It also sounds better than Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows, Clockwork Angels, Signals and Fly By Night. It really is overrated to underrate such a great album.

Just a couple of people. Those who are keen on it probably can't pass a drug screening

I think that would be more applicable to people who are keen on the muddiness of CA. At least Presto has always had space and clarity.

Space and clarity doesn't make Presto a good record. Good songs make a record worth the listen. CA has it clobbered in that department. Presto is a weak record with a couple of good songs.

Eh. you were talking about the production. But I already got your opinion on the songs. Please stop repeating yourself. I think Presto has more great songs on it than CA as I listed above, and overall better songwriting and melody throughout the entire album. CA has a few intricate sections spread throughout the album but Presto is just crafted better overall.

• Like 1

Roll The Bones has pretty wimpy production too, though not as bad as Presto.

Eh. you were talking about the production. But I already got your opinion on the songs. Please stop repeating yourself. I think Presto has more great songs on it than CA as I listed above, and overall better songwriting and melody throughout the entire album. CA has a few intricate sections spread throughout the album but Presto is just crafted better overall.

Presto is just crafted better overall.

News Alert from Planet Crackpipe—Presto better than Clockwork Angels

Yeah, I think it is. By a pretty big margin too. As I said I rank it #3 among Rush albums and CA is somewhere around 10 or so. CA is very well done for what it is, but aside froom some of the interesting intricate progressive elements scattered throughut the album it largely follows in the same style of their previous four records and Alex's guitar tone is sludgy and really not very appealing.

Presto is a much more diverse sounding record with better crafted songs period. The overall sound is also more original and appealing as are the lyrics. Presto is a very unique and appealing record. CA is just a continuation of their overly heavy cynical sounding albums of '00s but done with more elements and when it works it's very good, but it is in no way near the originality and uniqueness of Presto. Maybe you'll wake up to it one day when you mature.

Also, my dad can also beat up your dad.

Edited by savagegrace26

Maybe you'll wake up to it one day when you mature.

I'd rather listen something with balls. Also, I'm highly suspicious of Superconducter fans.

Maybe you'll wake up to it one day when you mature.

I'd rather listen something with balls. Also, I'm highly suspicious of Superconducter fans.

What? I don't like Superconductor.

And well, I'm not limited by balls. I can appreciate something whether or not it has big balls or little balls.

But maybe you'll like this mix better:

Tombstone, I don't even see a list from you here. Please make one so I can criticize it.

My guess:

Carnies

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

BU2B2

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

These lists bore me. CA does contain at least 4 all-time great Rush songs IMO

Yes: Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, and Headlong Flight (and maybe (that's maybe) The Garden)

And Presto has 6: Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Presto, Red Tide, Available Light

You forgot War Paint :wub: :smoke: Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Presto hasn't stood the test of time for me. Here's my song-by-song analysis (skip to the next post if you hate song-by-song analyses).

- I like Show Don't Tell. It's got a great guitar hook, and generally classic Rush-like guitar parts. The little bass break later in the song is cool too.

- Chain Lightning has a lot going for it until the chorus, which immediately makes the song go limp. I remember being so disappointed by that when I first heard the track. I'll warrant that it has a catchy melody, but it doesn't save it for me because it goes from rock to wet noodle with no warning.

- The Pass I thought was great - I don't care for it as much as I used to, but I agree with those who say it's a well-crafted song, with good melodies.

- War Paint - not the best of riffs - it rocks a bit, and has some decent parts here and there. It's a bit too poppy for my tastes.

- Scars I kind of like along the lines of liking Red Lenses - something a bit different for them. I assume it's a bass loop? I like Lifeson's lead playing in this.

- Presto I remember thinking all those years ago was kind of a return to a more Rush like arrangement, and I loved the return to acoustic guitar - although there were acoustics in the other 80s albums - not many - this ones sounded more organic to me. I like how the song has something a little different in each verse, and there's some cool playing in the outro. Although the lyrics seem a little corny or precious to me, I don't mind that about Rush tunes.

- Superconductor isn't very imaginative for Rush. It's a weak riff - I think the lyrics are great, though - some great lines here. My theory is that Rush wrote sort of poppy music on purpose here, just as I believe they were doing something a bit corny and cliched in the video - on purpose - because the message seems to be about the lure and superficiality and showiness of pop music and the whole biz. Having this theory helps me not be too disappointed by what is otherwise a really pedestrian sort of tune.

- the music in Anagram starts to tire me out a bit - just a few too many keyboard accents and choked out guitar. The lyrics are clever. There is one bit in this song that I like, which is the piano break - that part is quite lovely.

- Red Tide is cool - it rocks appropriately for me.

- Hand Over Fist - I wish this track did not make me shudder. I can't help it. It's that anemic guitar thing - the other guitar part is great, the heavier bit, but the chorus or whatever - the hand over fist bit - is just awful, in my opinion.

- Available Light - I like just about everything about this song, except for one little nit-pick, and that's how Lee sings the line "play of light, a photograph." It's just trying to hard to put feeling into his singing, and it just comes out sounding weird and lounge-y. But that "in the available light" line is genius.

And . . . the production. It's just so, what's the word . . . Ruperty.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

I can understand someone like Eagle preferring things to have balls....but I'm assuming you're a male...well whatever makes you happy.

Thanks. Enjoy Hand over Fist for me

It's a nice catchy underrated tune. The chorus is s little funny but the verses are great and it has a nice melody and hook. I wouldn't mind them playing it live. You said the production doesn't matter yet you keep using the "balls" in your discussion. I can hear the quality of the songs themselves. Nice catching songwriting on HOF.

• Like 1

I can understand someone like Eagle preferring things to have balls....but I'm assuming you're a male...well whatever makes you happy.

I wouldn't mind them playing it live.

If they did play that song live the bathrooms would fill up quickly. In fact, you may be an audience of one during that song

I wouldn't mind them playing it live.

If they did play that song live the bathrooms would fill up quickly. In fact, you may be an audience of one during that song

Ok. And? If I'm paying for my ticket I'm not going to complain about them playing a song I like. Why would I worry about what the rest of the audience does?

Are you LedRush's brother? Because you seem to have a lot in common with him? You both seem to be very concerned with what other people like. Is it herd mentality? Approval? Acceptance? The more something is liked by a large quantity of people the more likely that it's catered for the average mind.

Edited by savagegrace26

And there are 157 votes cast for Hand Over Fist on Rushpetition so I wouldn't be the only one.

Why these stupid arguments about people liking a song you don't? Who cares? It's still Rush.

Because when it comes down to it you just don't have the capability to appreciate the finer subtleties in things. That's why you need heavy balls.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

And there are 157 votes cast for Hand Over Fist on Rushpetition so I wouldn't be the only one.

Why these stupid arguments about people liking a song you don't? Who cares? It's still Rush.

Because when it comes down to it you just don't have the capability to appreciate the finer subtleties in things. That's why you need heavy balls.

Each to their own.

At least we value Presto. CA deserves its fans. I'm no longer one of them.

• Like 1

1. Hemispheres

2. La Villa Strangiato

3. Something for Nothing

4. 2112

5. Circumstances

6. Lessons

7. The Spirit of Radio

8. Fly By Night

9. Red Barchetta

10. Freewill

11. Limelight

12. Analog Kid

13. YYZ

14. Tom Sawyer

15. Xanadu

16. Jacob's Ladder

17. Working Man

18. Lakeside Park

19. Finding My Way

20. Cygnus X-1

• Like 1

At least we value Presto.

I went back and popped in Presto. It lasted about 30 seconds. Clockwork Angels is superior in every way possible

I went back and popped in Presto. It lasted about 30 seconds. Clockwork Angels is superior in every way possible

You need to value peoples opinions. The more you fanboy and tell me I am wrong the more I feel cold towards CA. Get over it. Rush have 20 albums. Not everyone is going to agree on everything.

Carnies, Halo Effect, The Anarchist, The Garden are songs that don't do anything for me.

Alex is forgettable on this release. The concept is wishy washy.

I really am sick of reading every five posts or so your contant rambling about how people are wrong! If you think CA is their best album, fine! But I think it is rather lacklustre and dull.

My tastes prefer the likes of Presto and Vapor Trails.

All due respect, but your enjoyment of the bands music is brilliant. We have that in common.

But CA does not impress me anymore. And many others here have said the same thing!

• Like 1

It's not Presto's fault that you don't have an attention span.

I'm surprised at what I see here. Based on what I'm used to seeing on these forums on a regular basis, I was expecting to see lists more like this:

The Garden

Tai Shan

Rivendell

Panacea

Bravado

Resist

Madrigal

Tears

Faithless

Different Strings

Available Light

Mystic Rhythms

Presto

The Pass

The Halo Effect

Hand Over Fist

Hope

We Hold On

• Like 1

I'm surprised at what I see here. Based on what I'm used to seeing on these forums on a regular basis, I was expecting to see lists more like this:

The Garden

Rivendell

Resist

Madrigal

Tears

Faithless

Different Strings

The Halo Effect

Hand Over Fist

Hope

We Hold On

These songs?

No. Just...no.

But I enjoy most if these all the same!

• Like 1

The Garden

Tai Shan

Rivendell

Panacea

Bravado

Resist

Madrigal

Tears

Faithless

Different Strings

Available Light

Mystic Rhythms

Presto

The Pass

The Halo Effect

Hand Over Fist

Hope

We Hold On

:laughing guy: .... There are some good ones in there but as Segue so aptly said. No just No. Not one of those made my top 20...
  • Like 1

Carnies, Halo Effect, The Anarchist, The Garden are songs that don't do anything for me.

A little ouch on these 3. They are actually good in my view especially Halo Effect. Just my opinion of course... :)
  • Like 2