Should "Dog Years" Be Rewritten?

ThatLightInYourEyes

COMMENTS:

MO 2 hours ago

I think 7 years has some logic behind it. If you look at the bulk of an average dogs life (0-12 years old), the rolling average is between 6 and 8 human years, per year.

By age 12, which is the middle of many breeds life expectancies, the dogs have averaged somewhere between 5.33-7.75 human years per their years, and by 14, when most have died, they are between 5.14 and 7.71.

So, if you took the average years, according to this chart, and stretched them over the entire dogs lifespan, it would be in the neighborhood of 7 years.

That is likely where it came from. You would only be significantly off making that assumption in the first 2 years of the dogs life.

Jon O 3 hours ago

Obviously the 7 years comparison is a general average. It's not intended to match up to every phase of a dog's development. An average lifespan for a medium-large dog is around 12 years, and the average lifespan of a human being is around 80. 80 divided by 12 is roughly 7 years.

More

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

If he changed the lyric, he wouldn't have a rhyme for "doggie heaven," and that would be a shame.

Good point. Doggie Heaven is just one of those necessary locations, right up there with Xanadu. :D

If you see the sign of eth, you know you've taken a wrong turn.

• Like 3

If he changed the lyric, he wouldn't have a rhyme for "doggie heaven," and that would be a shame.

Well, Neil's written more crowded lines than "In a dogs life, a year is really more like seven-not-including-the-first-or-last-years-of-its-life"...

Well, Neil's written more crowded lines than "In a dogs life, a year is really more like seven-not-including-the-first-or-last-years-of-its-life"...

They can just rewrite The Wreckers. It will work.

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary of a miracle too good to be true,

All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary everything in life you thought you knew

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary, 'cause sometimes the target is you.

All I know is that memory can be too much to carry striking down like a bolt from the blue

All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary everything in life you thought you knew

All I know is that sometimes a dog year is seven and sometimes it's two

All I know is that sometimes it's contrary to everything I thought I knew

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary, of stepping in doggy doo doo

All I know is that memory of my loving doggies can't be measured it's true

Eh, Len you can refine this if you want...

• Like 1

I don't get it, why is it so much hate on this song? I love it...

The lyrics are just horrible. I get that they were going for playful, but between this song and Virtuality the lyrics are just so cringeworthy. It's like Neil got someone with a PhD in bad puns to show him his best work.

• Like 1

I think the song should be swept under the carpet, and removed from any further pressings of the Test for Echo cd. Let's just pretend it never existed. And while we're at it, can we do the same for Tai Shan and Speed of Love?
  • Like 1

I think the song should be swept under the carpet, and removed from any further pressings of the Test for Echo cd. Let's just pretend it never existed. And while we're at it, can we do the same for Tai Shan and Speed of Love?

Tai Shan and Speed of Love are much better than Dog Years. They're on an entirely different level IMO

Tai Shan and Speed of Love are much better than Dog Years. They're on an entirely different level IMO

TaiShan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DogYears>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The SpeedofLove

Edited by savagegrace26

Eleven.

Well, sure, if you can get it to scan...