Snakes and Arrows Tour vs Time Machine Tour

fraroc

36 members have voted

1. 1. Snakes and Arrrows tour vs Time Machine tour

• Snakes and Arrows Tour (2007-2008)
    • Time Machine Tour (2010-2011)

I feel like both tours are very similar, yet very different judging from the footage I've seen of them. I've thoroughly enjoyed both of them and think that they sounded good on both tours...I've always been more partial to the setlist of the Time Machine tour. Many people give that setlist shit because it was a "greatest hits setlist" and that the ONLY reason to see that tour was to see them to Moving Pictures in it's entirety. I felt like the Time Machine tour had a lot of variety spanning all of the decades.

Snakes and Arrows tour was predominately a ton of songs from Snakes and Arrows, a few hits and a healthy amount of deep cuts. It was very, very nice to see them bring back my favorite Rush song, Witch Hunt for that tour, but I feel that it was a missed opportunity for them to do ALL of Fear.

Loved both tours. I enjoyed Time Machine more because they pulled out more deep cuts like The Camera Eye, Stick It Out, Marathon, etc. It was also a thrill to hear BU2B and Caravan and know that those two great songs were a taste of a great album to come.

The Snakes tour was also great, though. Unlike many I enjoy Snakes and Arrows and liked hearing those songs performed. This one also had some other great oddities like Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, and it was my first experience of a live performance of Witch Hunt.

Narps, didn't you fall asleep during it?

No. I just actually sat in my seat for a while. My son couldn't believe it.... :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Time Machine would be my pick. I liked S&N and Geddys voice was much better then. But as far as the set list goes, TM wins for me.
  • Like 1

Snakes and Arrows (leg 1) by far. It had a bunch of "surprise" songs - Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Witch Hunt, Bangkok, plus it had Natural Science, while Time Machine was kind of run of the mill and haad a pretty weak first set (with a few exceptions). Even most of Moving Pictures had been played recently at that time so even that wasn't as thrilling as it could have been. Presto, Marathon, the 2 new songs, The Camera Eye, and Vital SIgns were the only real standouts. The Snakes & Arrows tour was way more adventurous.
  • Like 1

Vocals were my deciding factor too. Snakes gets it. Plus the middle of set 1 of TM is shit. Just drags. From Stick it out through Bu2B.......yawn. I can't tell you why......but at least on film........ :zzz:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Vocals were my deciding factor too. Snakes gets it. Plus the middle of set 1 of TM is shit. Just drags. From Stick it out through Bu2B.......yawn. I can't tell you why......but at least on film........ :zzz:

Mick

It dragged at the show too (except for BU2B for me). Hated that part of the show. That Stick It Out-Faithless block might be the worst part of any Rush tour. The Snakes and Arrows block was better than that.

• Like 2

Mick

It dragged at the show too (except for BU2B for me). Hated that part of the show. That Stick It Out-Faithless block might be the worst part of any Rush tour. The Snakes and Arrows block was better than that.

Live it wasn't as bad because I went to get drinks and stuff, lol. but recorded it was a horrid song block. Just awful.

Mick

Time Machine would be my pick. I liked S&N and Geddys voice was much better then. But as far as the set list goes, TM wins for me.

This. The setlists aren't even close. But Geddy did so much better on S&A, especially on the official release. He wasn't that bad in the TM tour concerts that I attended, but I can't even listen to the official release. Thank geddy for bootlegs (and that nice man who gave me a fairly high quality one for the TM Tour), because even with the decreased sound quality, it is a ton better than the official release.

Mick

Those songs are just not very good. But the opening of the second set of S&A could be the worst 5 songs ever chosen for a rush concert (and if you take out Far Cry and just look at songs 2-5, it is a no-brainer. The audiences at the shows I went to didn't get back into the concert until Subdivisions, but after that it was all great. The vocals are far better on S&A, but the TMT setlist is so much better that you can't really compare.

This. The setlists aren't even close. But Geddy did so much better on S&A, especially on the official release. He wasn't that bad in the TM tour concerts that I attended, but I can't even listen to the official release. Thank geddy for bootlegs (and that nice man who gave me a fairly high quality one for the TM Tour), because even with the decreased sound quality, it is a ton better than the official release.

I was able to find the one from Chicago 2011 (the show I went to) and it was a much better night for Geddy. I regret ever purchasing the official release, really.

• Like 1

Good things about S&A:

1.Yes, they played a lot from the album, but they picked all the good songs and left off all the crappy/subpar ones ('cept for Larger Bowel - I mean Bowl)

2.Tons of deep, deep cuts!!

3. They swapped out a few songs between legs (although some still weren't satisfied, of course)

4. Chicken!!

Good things about TM:

1. Two news songs

2. The Entire Moving Pictures

3. Including 'The Camera Eye'

4. A few deep cuts

5. Cool stage set up

6. Neil smiled twice (at least at the show I was at)

7. Sausage!!

I thought they were both awesome, but I'll give TM a slight advantage.

Clem

Edited by clem
  • Like 2

I have only seen them on dvd so my vote is based upon that. My choice is Snakes And Arrows Live simply because the sound quality and that I like the setlist. When I see Time Machine Live I don't care that much for the Moving Pictures set. Moving Pictures really don't get much airplay at home.

S&A and I don't even think it's close. I hated the TM Tour. S&A had a really nice variety in the setlist save for the consecutive S&A songs to start the second set. When you throw "Digital Man," "Entre Nous," "Natural Science," and "Witch Hunt" in the same show, you're winning big time.

Geddy's voice was much better in Snakes & Arrows.

I can barely bring myself to watch it when it is showing on VH1.

Sounds terrible. I would not buy it.

His voice actually sounded good on the S&A concert DVD. I did not see either live.

Edited by John V

I had a blast at both shows. I really enjoyed S&A when it came out, and was very pleased to hear so many new songs live. Naturally, any Rush concert is going to exclude some favourites, but I enjoyed the set list overall.

I feel the same way about the Time Machine tour. I personally loved that they brought back Stick It Out, that I got to hear Faithless live, and it was certainly interesting to see them work through Camera Eye.

I really think the set lists are varied enough that it's quite difficult to choose between these two tours...for me, at least