The Final Song On Their Final Tour

That One Guy

In the Mood would bring them full circle.

No The Garden would.. From Garden Road back to The Garden. Full circle :D

• Like 2

Interesting topic and one I have actually been thinking about for a while.

If they do not plan ahead and basically say, if only to themselves / management / family "This is our final show / tour" the song is likely to be a standard closer for a normal show.

If they do plan ahead (and I think they will - if only among themselves / family & management) then it still is likely to be a standard closer. In other words I don't think they will publicly say "This is our farewell tour".

However, lets assume they decide to publicly say "Farewell". When the time comes I hope they do this. Then I think the final song will either be:

1. One of the fitting long shots - A song that is appropriate in some way but not one the common person (not the common Rush fan - big difference!) would think of. The possibilities include:

Wish them Well.

The Garden

Everyday Glory

Time Stand Still

Something for Nothing

2. A fitting song that a lot of people, including non die hard Rush fans, might recognize. Possibilities include:

Working Man

Closer to the Heart

Headlong Flight

3. One of the big hits. Likely possibilities include:

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Limelight

Personally I hope it is something from one of the first 2 categories. I think I would like to see the final 3 songs be (1) Something 4 Nothing (2) Time Stand Still and (3) one of the category 2 songs.

... Should be Out Of The Cradle.

Not only do I consider it one of the better Vapor Trails tunes, you get a long outro with Geddy singing the phrase "endlessly rocking" a number of times. It's just a fitting outro all around. It should end a show sometime.

Assuming they're quitting before 70, they're looking at about 5 years or less 'til it's quits. Neil's recent story reminded me that he's in his mid sixties with a 5 year old daughter. They are going to "tend to their gardens" in the next couple of years.

Barring world catastrophes, their music is going to have listeners for decades to come. With any luck, this forum might outlive their retirement by 10-20 years! They're going to be "endlessly rocking" in spirit. Why not end a show "endlessly rocking".

It will be "Working Man" with no lame reggae part. It was their first big hit in North America. It will be their last song on their last tour.

• Like 2

Would not surprise me at all if we've already heard it. That's not how I want it to be, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Gee, I hope not. That was NOT the best version of 2112 I've ever heard. :no:

A Farewell To Kings...would be a good metaphor in my opinion.

I can see it now:

Concerts full of hatred, fear and lies

Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes

Elder artists dressed in kingly guise

Beating down the audience and

Scoffing at the wives

Farewell, our Kings!

• Like 1

I would say it would be fitting if they did the fountain of lamneth. It's a life anthem, and 40 year is a long life I think they've reached the fountain, don't you?
  • Like 2

I think several songs apply here's: Working Man, YYZ, Headlong Flight, A Farewell to Kings. But I'll go with YYZ since it's the the one song that says "home" to them. Here is my final set list.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

Limelight

Cut to the Chase

Roll the Bones

New Instrumental called "A' Dieu Aux Fans

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 (entire)

Set 2:

One Little Victory (Solo Version)

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

New instrumental called "Precipeter"

Jacobs Ladder

Distant Early Warning (with Asian strings intro)

New World Man

Marathon

Mal-Nar

Alex's Solo/ Hemisphere (Prelude)

La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu (entire)

Encore:

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Closer to the Heart (Extended Jam)

Encore 2:

Headlong Flight

YYZ

Edited by losingit2k

Would not surprise me at all if we've already heard it. That's not how I want it to be, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sad sad :( I hope not i need to see them one mor time!

Interesting topic.....and the second I read it, my first instinct was 2112. So I'll go with that.

I also wonder what city it would be in....I'd guess Toronto, Pittsburgh or Cleveland?

Last in US in Cleveland, then ride off into the sunset in Toronto :) Thatd be my choice...

Lots of great ideas. But my old bones would love to see them go out with the whole crowd clapping along to In The Mood. Still the best finale in all these years, imo.

Good God :no: Horrible song...

I dont agree. Back when they often closed the show with it, it brought the house down. The lyrics are corny, I admit, but its a great song. :)

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Lots of great ideas. But my old bones would love to see them go out with the whole crowd clapping along to In The Mood. Still the best finale in all these years, imo.

Good God :no: Horrible song...

Hmmm... agree on the album but I think it came off a bit better live :)

As the song has been mentioned, I feel a final tour would almost be incomplete without A Farewell To Kings in the list, easy metaphor backed by a good song. Those high vocals would probably kick Geddy's ass at this point though.

Maybe that's why Rush is slacking in the "work" department. Intense hunting lodge dinners picking out the "perfect" setlist.

Or Neil's more interested in other stuff. (He had a sweet race in good old Utah in July!)