New Neil Peart News Update - Science Island

Tony R

Good, maybe that'll keep people from bitching about how he doesn't talk about Rush. But I'm sure they'll find something else to complain about. It's nice to see some more stuff about Le Studio, pretty sad how it devolved into its current state.

As for the rest of his article, it's making me super jealous. One of these days I'd like to go up to Canadian wilderness and check it all out, it'd sure beat the hell out of Iowa.

• Like 3

No way in hell I'm reading all that. Can anyone bullet point the highlights please?.....
  • Like 1

This one is pretty good. Even those who are only interested in the Rush-y aspects of Neil's ramblings will find something to like.
  • Like 1

Funny he just went to Le Studio... I was going to go in the near future to see if it's still standing up and take some pics (Haven't been in a couple of years) before it's gone. I haven't read the article yet, but the place looks miserable, now...... :(

Cool to think that he's talking with Sam Dunn, the very guy who interviewed me for the documentary.

Which one are you so that I know the next time I watch BTLS? Are you one of the three guys standing across the street from the bar freezing?

I thought this was one of his better articles in a while. I like the travelling stuff, but I can only take it in small dosages.

This was the highlight of the article for me:

Olivia turned five on August 12, and that spring her mother had signed her up for biweekly swimming lessons, so she was now a strong swimmer. No more life-jacket or water-wings for her—just foam noodles for fun. Swimming “free” like that opened a whole new world of enjoying life at the lake, for both of us. (Second time around for me, of course—it’s becoming ever more difficult not to talk to Olivia about her lost sister, especially when we boat past the old house, or the island still named for Selena—she would have turned thirty-six that April. So many stories about Selena that I know Olivia would love. But I also know I have to wait until she’s better able to comprehend such world-shattering information. Maybe when she’s eight or so. I guess I’ll know—but it will be hard.)

• Like 7

No way in hell I'm reading all that. Can anyone bullet point the highlights please?.....

Are you Goober in disguise?

Last I checked, no. He was on here regular when I arrived but in a couple weeks or so he disappeared..... Edited by Narpski

Good, maybe that'll keep people from bitching about how he doesn't talk about Rush. But I'm sure they'll find something else to complain about. It's nice to see some more stuff about Le Studio, pretty sad how it devolved into its current state.

As for the rest of his article, it's making me super jealous. One of these days I'd like to go up to Canadian wilderness and check it all out, it'd sure beat the hell out of Iowa.

You don't have to go too far, or even out of the United States. Check out the Northwoods of Wisconsin, in particular the area around Eagle River. It's a very similar climate and has a very similar impact on your soul. A few days there, away from the internet and the trappings of modern life, and you are rejuvenated. I have spent some time around that area and the pictures Neil posted could have easily have been from the Northwoods, down to the loons.

• Like 2

I thought this was one of his better articles in a while. I like the travelling stuff, but I can only take it in small dosages.

This was the highlight of the article for me:

Olivia turned five on August 12, and that spring her mother had signed her up for biweekly swimming lessons, so she was now a strong swimmer. No more life-jacket or water-wings for her—just foam noodles for fun. Swimming “free” like that opened a whole new world of enjoying life at the lake, for both of us. (Second time around for me, of course—it’s becoming ever more difficult not to talk to Olivia about her lost sister, especially when we boat past the old house, or the island still named for Selena—she would have turned thirty-six that April. So many stories about Selena that I know Olivia would love. But I also know I have to wait until she’s better able to comprehend such world-shattering information. Maybe when she’s eight or so. I guess I’ll know—but it will be hard.)

A very nice call out. Too bad it illustrates that Neil is human, meaning all the Neil haters will completely ignore it.

• Like 4

I'm Kelly, talking about Subdivisions. Sam is a very nice guy too, I might add.

omg, I Had no idea that was you! I've seen the movie many times, that is so cool that you were interviewed for it!
  • Like 1

You don't have to go too far, or even out of the United States. Check out the Northwoods of Wisconsin, in particular the area around Eagle River. It's a very similar climate and has a very similar impact on your soul. A few days there, away from the internet and the trappings of modern life, and you are rejuvenated. I have spent some time around that area and the pictures Neil posted could have easily have been from the Northwoods, down to the loons.

I've lived in all of the terrain experiences North America's had to offer minus the desert southwest and the upper States/Canadian woods. Obviously I wouldn't go for the desert. Being a military child has its benefits. I still think fondly of when I lived over in Maine during my dad's last couple years in the Navy and damn do I miss the ocean. Only thing better than that was when I lived down in Georgia where it was warmer and the ocean was still there. Anything to get out of the sameness and unhappening-ness of the Midwest would be a joy.

I've lived in all of the terrain experiences North America's had to offer minus the desert southwest and the upper States/Canadian woods. Obviously I wouldn't go for the desert. Being a military child has its benefits. I still think fondly of when I lived over in Maine during my dad's last couple years in the Navy and damn do I miss the ocean. Only thing better than that was when I lived down in Georgia where it was warmer and the ocean was still there. Anything to get out of the sameness and unhappening-ness of the Midwest would be a joy.

Don't knock the Midwest too much. I grew up there. I live in South Texas now and greatly enjoy the hiking and biking of the Hill Country, and even the near desert conditions further west (Big Bend is one of my favorite places on the planet), but I do miss the simplicity of trees and rivers in the Midwest. Besides, there is something to be said for calm... and the Midwest generally has the market cornered on that. :)

• Like 1

Really nice update. So sad about Le Studio. I kind of hoped I might read that Neil was thinking of buying the place, but I guess he's glad to move on. Funny about Richard the raccoon. :LOL:
  • Like 2

Neil owned a Ferrari in 1981? Shiiiit, I guess 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, touring, etc had a good impact on his bank account by then. Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1