Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

Leo Blair (Tony Blair's son) is 14 so whilst not impossible I reckon he'd be too old.

Towards the upper age range for a treble, but definitely not impossible. Whoever it is though, he certainly has a beautiful voice.

After a bunch of listens I love the album. it's a great album from the 1st to last song. Nicely put together. Great musicianship to say the least. Wow those guys can play. It's a good album to get high to. who we kiddin folks. Hone Invasion is brilliant!!! One of the coolest prog rock tunes of all time. Regret #9 fahgetaboutit. That tune oozes super funness. The keyboard solo and the amazing guitar solo are off the charts. It ends with a high note and goes into some nice keys with a banjo soloing out. Yup my favorite song as of now. Ancestral is quiet epic.First Regret is a very cool tune sound landscape that sets up the album. There are a few songs where he reprises the keyboard riff throughout the album.3 Years Older is a well crafted song and it's catchy in a prog sort of way. dynamics play a huge part. This album is no doubt one his best. Love the concept. The way he writes about himself through the character. So he's a bit dark. I love it. He knows how to evoke contrast and put intent into the music. Sold!

Ancestral - from 4:40 to 5:03. I am sorry folks but that's one of my favorite moments of the album. Who cares if it's David Gilmour vibe. Guthrie just f***ing kills it! Kills it. Marco with the huge drum fills and simple metric modulations.

Edited by shail
  • Like 2

You guys are gonna shit your pants when you get the album and have given it a good week of listening. Takes a little bit but you start to feel how deep this shit is. It's f***ing genius stuff. I mean the tune Routine is gonna be a fan favorite for a long time in the not so near future.

Routine is gonna be a fan favorite for a long time in the not so near future.

It's already my personal favorite song off of the album. It was the only song that clicked with me upon the first time listening through the whole album.

Routine and Ancestral give me goosebumps (that's gooseflesh for the limeys :) ) every time I listen to them.

SW is one of the rare artists that give me what I want on the musical virtuosity side and emotional response side, all in one work. The dynamic range in the music (and in the recording) is fantastic.

• Like 4

The last half of the album is probably some of the best material he's ever written. The first half was a little shaky, didn't care much for Perfect Life or Routine (this may grow on me). But very much worth the purchase.
  • Like 2

Kinda diggin Marcos drum sound. Very raw. Hardly no effects if any on the kit. Just close mics and room mics mix. Sounds great. Not a fan of DW drums but they sound ok. He hits kinda hard so he might loose a little bit of tone. Shame he won't be on the U.S. tour. He really makes for a super fun and thrilling concert.

One of these days I'll have this album in my eager hands and it'll sound all the better for the wait! :)

:) <<<< This smiley btw is code named the "Evil Secret Serial Killer Smiley". This has nothing to do with Steven Wilson though... :blaze:

I've seen SW with and without Marco - unfortunately I saw the first US show with Chad Wackerman on the Raven tour. Don't get me wrong, I have seen Chad (with Zappa and with Bozzio Duets tour) and I know what he is capable of. He was just too green and reserved. What I love about Marco's playing is that he is absolutely fearless and always pushing things to the limit. He takes big risks in his playing and usually pulls them off - which makes it very exciting.

We will get Craig Blundell on drums and I've done a little research into his playing - he is no slouch and could provide an interesting element (as will Dave Kilminster on guitar!)

Also, Marco will kick it with the Aristocrats in the US later this Summer!

The Album was amazing... Standouts for me were "Routine", "3 Years Older", Regret #9" and "Ancestral"

Owl good to see you!

:cheers:

:clap:

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

I pop by here every week or so, and read a bit.. I rarely post though... I am active as hell on reddit... my username over there is GRVrush2112

• Like 1

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/interview-steven-wilson-on-high-res-hand-cannot-erase/

The simple answer is I don’t have any of my work mastered. It goes straight from my mixes — flat transfers onto the disc. And that applies to the mixes I do for the Yes reissues, the XTC reissues, the Jethro Tull reissues, and of course my own work too. And it’s amazing how many of the musicians I speak to, when I say to them, “I don’t want this mastered” — they’re initially shocked. But then they understand. Why would you need this mastered? You’ve approved the masters and you think the mixes sound great, so why would you not just release them as they are?

Now, I’m not saying that’s right for everyone, because some people need or want that extra pair of ears to check what they’ve done. But I’m at the stage now where I’m 100 percent confident that what I produce out of my studio is exactly the way I want people to hear it. I actually bypass mastering completely now.

Interesting interview where SW discusses many things such as the Rush like vibe in 3 Years Older.

Interviewer: There are some elements that sound like Rush for example in 3 Years Older or Regret #9. Do you agree that there are some elements of Rush?

SW: Here's what I'll say, you're not the first person to say that. I'm not consciously aware of it. And actually one of the things that people think sounds like Rush is Pete Townsend and actually it makes sense because Alex Lifeson was very influence by Pete Townsend. So, in fact when I was working on that song 3 Years Older my working title was "The Who". That's for me is pure Townsend. But people said to me "That's Rush!" Well no, but I can see why they say that because Alex took a lot from the kind of Townsend thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuCWbZScoI

• Like 2