What is Clockwork Angels really about?

YYZumbi

I hate concept albums........i couldn't care less whether you have a story to tell.......give me the music. CA..... Form what i gather. Neil whines about religion again. Some angels on clocks that control people.....i don't know. There's a discontented anarchist, some sort of carnival. Some evil dude with a bomb. Then for some reason. There's a woman who this guy thinks is great but it's a delusion he projected on here. There;s a sea disaster. He wishes he could do it all again.....blah blah blah. Screw the haters wish them well. Big cheesy sunday school like song.

The end.

But don't go by me.

Mick

What about The Garden? What does that mean?.... :huh:

The Garden is metaphor. What happens in a garden? Plants sprouts and dies and repeats.

Whatever that means for you only you can tell.

Not what I was hoping for :LOL: I was thinking more like "I' am the gardener tending to my garden and when I die what have I left behind. My legacy, good works, positive influence on others etc. There goes that down the tubes.... Oh well

That's exactly what it's about.

• Like 2

I actually read Candide (free download) to see if it made sense of the story line, and it kind of does. Candide is told that we live inthe best of all possible worlds and he throws himself into lots of life experiences (everything from love to shipwreck) to test this out. In the end he decides he's had enough and it is time to tend his garden.

I tried reading a sample of the Clockwork Angels novel but it is seriously terrible.

My own theory is that the story is from Robertson Davies' Deptford trilogy. Neil said he used this for "Carnies" but it actually fits most of the songs.

Most of the album has struck a lot of personal chords for me over the past year, except SCOG.

I guess I'm glad I read the book in the sense that it gave me more of an insight into what the storyline was about. But the writing was so atrocious, and the insertion of the lyrics just felt really forced. It was like reading something a 12 year old would think up.
  • Like 1

I guess I'm glad I read the book in the sense that it gave me more of an insight into what the storyline was about. But the writing was so atrocious, and the insertion of the lyrics just felt really forced. It was like reading something a 12 year old would think up.

Makes me glad I can't don't read.....
  • Like 1

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's a great book for a child; not so much for an adult.

• Like 1

It's metaphorphical for the bands entire career.

The Wreckers represents Neil's dark period.

Headlong Flight represents their return with Vapor Trails and so on.

The Garden represents... itself? It is what it is?

It's metaphorphical for the bands entire career.

The Wreckers represents Neil's dark period.

Headlong Flight represents their return with Vapor Trails and so on.

The Garden represents... itself? It is what it is?

Their retirement

If you're looking for the actual meaning of Clockwork Angels, ignore this post; but a couple of years ago I wrote up a post summarizing my certifiably insane interpretation of the story, going on the lyrics alone, completely unaware that there were liner notes. As a matter of fact, I was recently struck with the interest to revisit that insane interpretation and dig through it some more, trying to make my interpretation "work" with the material provided in the actual story. If you want to read a sample of that, check this out:

Why Clockwork Angels is actually about a young man's encounter with the Devil

"Clockwork Angels”, the way Neil Peart describes it, seems like a sort of “Forrest Gump” of a story about a character who recounts his life of adventures and misadventures. It’s nice and inoffensive, but it’s really boring. There’s the occasional conflict and “part where something happens,” but they are really few and far between in a story that is by far dominated by mere description of this Steampunk world Peart dreamed up. Clockwork Angels needs a spicier story, a plot to bring this world to life; and when I read the lyrics and heard the music the first time, my imagination brought me something much more dramatic and fanciful than what Peart intended. Not to spoil it or anything, but it’s actually about a young man whose soul is usurped by the Devil. Not only that - but it’s even more so about how a religion, in their effort to take followers under their wing, can instead systematically push them away, inciting a dangerous backlash. Then in their arrogance, they ignore their role in the deviant’s behavior and completely forsake their lost brother, shedding their responsibility entirely instead of taking it on like they should.

Now that’s more like it. Now we’re cooking with brimstone.

At the moment, I've analyzed the first four songs of the album. I'll post it when it gets done.

I just finished reading the book......and didn't really help. It's a thin concept to begin with. and the book only exposed the weakness and magnified it. And the inserting of rush lyrics was not done very well and caused eye rolling each time. lol

and the production's awful..... :P (Sorry couldn't resist, lol)

Mick

• Like 2

It's about the appropriation of technology by those who seek to usurp your soul through superstition and ritual. The "clockwork" angels are just as deadly (insofar as they create a dangerous illusion meant to reinforce control by the religious establishment) as the mechanical device that explodes and brings hellfire, just as insidious as the "universe in a grain of sand."

What is Clockwork Angels really about?

Right now, depending on where you check, it's about 10 to 12 bucks.

And there's actually two ways to interpret that when you take into consideration Geddy, Alex and Neil's point of view.

These two ways?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVfYu_IyXVM