Am I the only one who likes Neurotica?

fraroc

It's not really a bad song and belive me, I've listened to Rush songs that people don't really like....I really feel that Neurotica as a song is much stronger than Tai Shan, The Speed of Love, or Dog Years. The chorus has a melody that really gets in your head, the melody in general is not bad at all...the lyrics is really where it suffers a lot. In that way, Neurotica really reminds me of Red Lenses. A good song with lyrics not up to snuff.
  • Like 2

Neurotica really reminds me of Red Lenses. A good song with lyrics not up to snuff.

Not even in the same ballpark. Red Lenses is a fantastic funky original song. Lyrics aren't bad they're just kind of there.

Neuotica is musically bland (except for a cool solo) and has poor lyrics.

• Like 1

Neurotica really reminds me of Red Lenses. A good song with lyrics not up to snuff.

Not even in the same ballpark. Red Lenses is a fantastic funky original song. Lyrics aren't bad they're just kind of there.

I'm not going to argue with the fact that Red Lenses musically is a good song, but compared to the rest of Grace Under Pressure, the lyrics just suck. "I see red and it hurts my head I guess it must be something I read" Seriously?

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I'm not going to argue with the fact that Red Lenses musically is a good song, but compared to the rest of Grace Under Pressure, the lyrics just suck. "I see red and it hurts my head I guess it must be something I read" Seriously?

But they're intentionally goofy and nonsensical. The lyrics don't bother me in the slightest. Neurotica on the other hand has a completely serious approach.

Kid Gloves and The Body Electric don't have the greatest lyrics either. While Grace Under Pressure is a great record it is no way Neil's lyrical zenith.

• Like 1

The initial bars of Neurotica are fantastic. The bass sound, the groove. It transitions into a great hook as well. But then...the chorus and Geddy's "oh-oh-oooh—oh"s. A shame, really.

Great song when otherwise. Excellent solo by Alex.

Edited by goose

Tai Shan is good. It's a little atmospheric piece and it's at least different and somewhat original sounding.

High Water is one of their most underrated songs. Atmospheric, lush, dynamic, great textures and fantastic percussion. I have no complaints about it anymore and think it's near flawless in it's execution. I would love to see this performed live.

Neurotica is an attempt at a generic bland rocker and the end result is a generic bland rocker.

The Speed of Love is a love song written by nerds for nerds and it succeeds at that completely which is also why it completely fails...

High Water took 18 years for me to recognize it's brilliance. It's not immediately accessible or "catchy" in a traditional sense so that's part of why people dislike it I think. The layers are there. There is a lot of detailed complexity and richness. You just have to let it flow into your blood...like water...absorb it....soak it up and you will see one day...it's the most complex song instrumentally and compositionally on HYF and I think that pushes away people because of the mostly "pop" oriented nature of the album. High Water is anything but poppy songwriting. Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

High Water took 18 years for me to recognize it's brilliance. It's not immediately accessible or "catchy" in a traditional sense so that's part of why people dislike it I think. The layers are there. There is a lot of detailed complexity and richness. You just have to let it flow into your blood...like water...absorb it....soak it up and you will see one day...it's the most complex song instrumentally and compositionally on HYF and I think that pushes away people because of the mostly "pop" oriented nature of the album. High Water is anything but poppy songwriting.

This guy gets it :yes: :smoke: Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1