Rush supporting Genesis...1973?

greyfriar

Godsmack is much better than Nickelback. it's not even a contest.

Yup. I've got a couple Godsmack albums, but they're from 14+ years ago. I will always have zero Nickelback albums.

• Like 2

Why would Genesis be playing a high school gym at that point? Rush, was of course, but Genesis?

it's a state college, and what little genesis footage I've seen from this time period had them playing in a small/medium venue.

Why would Genesis be playing a high school gym at that point? Rush, was of course, but Genesis?

it's a state college, and what little genesis footage I've seen from this time period had them playing in a small/medium venue.

Yup. One of the most famous and well bootlegged shows on that tour was at a University auditorium in Montreal.

• Like 3

Yup. One of the most famous and well bootlegged shows on that tour was at a University auditorium in Montreal.

One of if not the best show I have ever seen was on a college campus in 1979. Towson State U.....

One of if not the best show I have ever seen was on a college campus in 1979. Towson State U.....

Found a video for anyone who wants to see:

Found a video for anyone who wants to see:

http://youtu.be/NghJHyoEV7A

One of my co-workers was there. First rock concert of any kind, blew his mind.

Geddy saw them in Toronto the previous year, opening for some other guy. Genesis was so impressive to young Geddy, he didn't even stick around for the main act.

• Like 1

http://www.2112.net/...731201story.htm

as I suspected, it's not our rush

They would know....

They could be lying...

or too much pot and lsd

Honestly, its possible. Buffalo is very close to Toronto, maybe they didnt even know they were in the states

Didn't Neil think The Camera Eye had never been played before the Time Machine tour? Their memories aren't perfect especially considering the amount of shows they've done.

• Like 1

They would know....

They could be lying...

or too much pot and lsd

Honestly, its possible. Buffalo is very close to Toronto, maybe they didnt even know they were in the states

Didn't Neil think The Camera Eye had never been played before the Time Machine tour? Their memories aren't perfect especially considering the amount of shows they've done.

oh, true. but still, I think opening for one of your biggest influences is more memorable than whether or not you've played a song of yours you didn't like for most of your career.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have gone at all then!

not even for 3 bucks??

I'd see f***ing godsmack for 3 dollars!

Let's not get carried away...

• Like 1

This is strange. Despite assertions to the contrary, I'm having a difficult time believing this wasn't our Rush.

Buffalo is close to Toronto—it would not have been surprising to see Rush jump over the border for this show. Moreover, I don't buy the Mahogany Rush theory. Their first album had already been out for a year, and had charted in the U.S. Why would promoters trim the "Mahogany" from their moniker?

And it certainly could not have been Tom Rush, an already popular and respected folk singer who would not have opened for an esoteric progressive rock group from England. And finally, I simply don't buy that there was simply another band named Rush that could have opened for Genesis in Buffalo during that time. Our Rush would have been out trying to promote their "Not Fade Away" single, no?

Is it possible that Rush was booked to play, but for whatever reason had to back out after tickets were already printed?

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 4

This is strange. Despite assertions to the contrary, I'm having a difficult time believing this wasn't our Rush.

Buffalo is close to Toronto—it would not have been surprising to see Rush jump over the border for this show. Moreover, I don't buy the Mahogany Rush theory. Their first album had already been out for a year, and had charted in the U.S. Why would promoters trim the "Mahogany" from their moniker?

And it certainly could not have been Tom Rush, an already popular and respected folk singer who would not have opened for an esoteric progressive rock group from England. And finally, I simply don't buy that there was simply another band named Rush that could have opened for Genesis in Buffalo during that time. Our Rush would have been out trying to promote their "Not Fade Away" single, no?

Is it possible that Rush was booked to play, but for whatever reason had to back out after tickets were already printed?

Maybe Rutsey was ill?. Another reason to get rid of him probably....
  • Like 1

Maybe Rutsey was ill?. Another reason to get rid of him probably....

Maybe Geddy had problems with his voice...

wait...that never happened then...

I don't think Tom Rush would not have let himself be billed as "Rush".

Very rare indeed, Rush never recorded them. Only the lucky few who saw them during the bar days got to hear those.

XP

• Like 2

Yes...I know that....I posted the list..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Do people just pretend to be stupid or what? I'm concerned about our planets future....

Edited by savagegrace26

Yes...I know that....I posted the list..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Do people just pretend to be stupid or what? I'm concerned about our planets future....

this is coming from a guy who's been arguing about what decade permanent waves belongs to for 11 pages.

• Like 1

this is coming from a guy who's been arguing about what decade permanent waves belongs to for 11 pages.

There's nothing stupid about having a discussion. Stupid applies to being an idiot.

which you are, for having participated in a 20-page discussion about what decade permanent waves belongs to.

Why is that? Absolutely no different than anything else that is discussed around here and the discussion evolved into other areas, it wasn't just about the thread topic.

Being an idiot is telling someone who posted a setlist of a Genesis show (and provided a link) that the songs listed are Genesis songs....

Edited by savagegrace26