Call me crazy, but I prefer the old Vapor Trails.

Coltonz

I think the remix is more along Rush's original vision for the album. I forget where I read this, but after VT was recorded, they shipped it off to New York and someone else mixed it. They didn't really have any oversight to the mixing process, maybe they were just exhausted by that point and wanted to get on with thier lives after 14 months.
  • Like 1

I think the remix is more along Rush's original vision for the album. I forget where I read this, but after VT was recorded, they shipped it off to New York and someone else mixed it. They didn't really have any oversight to the mixing process, maybe they were just exhausted by that point and wanted to get on with thier lives after 14 months.

But specific compisitional elements of the songs were changed, such as added solos, alternate and instrumental vocal takes, etc.

Not sure if the structural changes were in line with their original vision.

• Like 1

freeze blows.... sorry to those who like it.. and how it is ... wasn't doing it for me.

I agree. Some people think it's their best instrumental. I don't get it... at all.

Maybe because it's not an instrumental? :P I love the odd time signatures! and the way the band plays with the phrases in the pre-choruses...makes this song an absolute keeper for me

• Like 2

freeze blows.... sorry to those who like it.. and how it is ... wasn't doing it for me.

I agree. Some people think it's their best instrumental. I don't get it... at all.

Maybe because it's not an instrumental? :P I love the odd time signatures! and the way the band plays with the phrases in the pre-choruses...makes this song an absolute keeper for me

I like it too. I think it's one of the best songs on the album.

• Like 2

Yeah the original freeze was only rush track ive ever deleted from an album playlist sounded like fingernails on a blackboard :) but ive left the remixed version in as its very slightly less annoying and i like Al's background guitar brought out more in the mix.

Overall, freeze isnt one my favs though, except in a sentimental nostalgic way, when part of it was one of those 5 or 6 samples released on internet before the main album all those years ago.

Doesnt detract from the fact any version of VT such a strong and varied album. So much different stuff goin on in it never get tired of it.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

In effect, the original and remixed CDs are two completely different albums. Depending on what one brings to the experience of listening to Rush, one is perhaps going to be swept away but the sheer emotional impact of the sound of the original. Tats rough, raw, arguably capturing what the band was feeling during the process of finding their way again. If one approaches Rush as pristine textures, expert balancing, mutlilayered music in which every part is clearly audible, them the remixed version will more than satisfy.

Familiarity breeds comfort, in many cases. I would take the originals raw expressivity over the cleanliness of the remix. I too feel that the songs lose so much of their emotional impact with the added polish

I tend to agree. I see them as two completely different albums.... kind of like a home and away jersey for a sports team. Same meaning, different look (in this case, different sound).

The original is definitely very hot and is often pointed to as one of the worst examples of the effect of the Loudness War for good reason. At the same time, the hot nature of the recording, as many others have mentioned, brings a degree of emotion.

The remix obviously tones down the sound, but gives you a taste of the complexity of some of the songs that you don't really get from the original.

Each has merit. Each has drawbacks.

I must admit, though, I don't really get the high levels of hate often directed at this album. Sure, it isn't their best work, but it was a triumphant return in that, simply, they returned. It also marked a key turning point in their sound back to something more reminiscent of the earlier, heavier days. I believe their discography is a path better analyzed by looking at the whole body, rather than focusing on each album. There's an old line about not seeing the forest because of the trees (Rush pun intended)...

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

Yeah fantastic album i think its my fav although dont like to be so certain when it comes to rush as so much could fit in the fav category

The high points on this album, of which there are many, are as high as it gets for me, secret touch earthshine ghostrider etc awesome rush at their very best

The low points, of which there are few and more difficult to name, are still pretty high to be honest

Just a truly great rush album, for which i for one will be forever grateful.

Yeah fantastic album i think its my fav although dont like to be so certain when it comes to rush as so much could fit in the fav category

The high points on this album, of which there are many, are as high as it gets for me, secret touch earthshine ghostrider etc awesome rush at their very best

The low points, of which there are few and more difficult to name, are still pretty high to be honest

Just a truly great rush album, for which i for one will be forever grateful.

I can name one low point: Out Of The Cradle :boo hiss:

The rest is great to excellent.

• Like 1

I must admit, though, I don't really get the high levels of hate often directed at this album. Sure, it isn't their best work, but it was a triumphant return in that, simply, they returned. It also marked a key turning point in their sound back to something more reminiscent of the earlier, heavier days. I believe their discography is a path better analyzed by looking at the whole body, rather than focusing on each album. There's an old line about not seeing the forest because of the trees (Rush pun intended)...

I've heard black metal albums that had better mixing than Vapor Trails.

As for why I dislike it so much? I just don't think the songwriting is very good. Even on the remix, it can't hide the fact that most of the songs are just rather dull and boring. The production values do not help at all. Yes, the return to the heavy style that Rush was previously known for was nice, but at the end of the day bad songs are still bad songs.

• Like 2

It all sounds like it used to back in the late 70's when I got a crack in one of my speakers and was scrambling to locate some scotch tape to stop the buzzing sound.... :codger: :| Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Yeah Len is funny but for a good couple years after release, i didnt care for out of the cradle at all but i loved Al's funky solo bit kinda pushing the envelope again very different and imaginative in the usual lifeson groove, and over the years this solo kept me interested in giving the track some play...

.. till one day the whole thing just clicked and i saw the entire song as more than the confusing mish mash it appeared at first, very similar to OLV in fact i wouldnt be surprised if both pieces were written side by side or simultaneously. Cradle is rush on the edge taking risk with every note, a true rush masterpiece for me i never tire of it.

Call me old, but I prefer the crazy Vapor Trails

You better have your ears AND your eyes checked.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I will anyway. When I was at the gym yesterday listening to Pandora there was a Journey, Boston, Yes song that played and all was good. Then Far Cry came on. I know it is from S & A but geez what a noisy difference in sound from all the other songs I had already heard. I had already heard one other Rush song (a bad one from the 90's if I recall) to before this happened and it didn't sound like that. Just awful sound in my view. Stark difference and not in a good way..... :eh:

Well it's certainly been a loooong time since I've last been online here, but I just felt I had to say this. I prefer the pre-remix Vapor Trails.

When I listen to the remix it feels like a lot of the dynamics have been taken out. You used to be able to hear the energy of the songs shift as certain parts swelled, exploded, and soared between the changing parts, and now it just all feels flat to me. And I don't like changes to the vocals and lead parts. Anyone else feel this way?

I was trying to get into the remix but found I couldn't. Like you, I much prefer the original version of VT. To me, the remix sounds cluttered and sloppy like someone found extra music bits and tossed them in for the sake of using them. I deleted the remix and re-added the original VT to my iTunes.

Good post Coltonz! You're a brave man to admit this. ;)

• Like 1

I like that song, but it's my least favorite part of Fear. It can't hold a candle to The Enemy Within and The Weapon and can never even touch the league of Witch Hunt.

• Like 1