Money can't buy happiness...

KennyLee

Yeah. Sorry for the above. More whining than usual for me. Frustrated.

To lighten things up...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/0d6f84ad05c96ef44f9d0f31799a015d/tumblr_n076nlb0Mc1stof7fo1_500.gif

Money can buy security, which for some means happiness. Sure money eliminates stress and worry to a degree. Both things to be happy about, but true happiness comes from inside. Its a feeling that goes beyond mere security. Plenty of rich people are depressed. Plenty of rich people take drugs. Plenty of rich people commit suicide. Some may think money solves all problems and calms your inner demons. It doesn't. When someone has all the money they need and they are still not content and happy inside where do they go from there?

In my estimation, money makes certain aspects of life easier to deal with but in no way does it buy happiness. In my opinion one thing brings happiness on the highest level possible. Love. To feel true love, and to be able to love others unselfishly.

Without my wife and daughter I don't think I could ever be happy no matter how much money I had. They make my life worth living, not money.

In conclusion...money can't stop you from falling ill. It can't heal someone you love and protect them. It can make you feel loved, nor can it provide you with the ability to love. It can make you feel more secure, but it can not buy happiness.

While I agree that if you are a miserable person without money you will be a miserable person with money, the truth remains that money can buy happiness.

Let me 'splain.

I have an amazing wife and three great (truly great) kids. I am very happy that they are in my life and that they are all blessed with certain traits and talents. Good looking kids (from their mother) and amazing athletes/ musicians.

Where money could buy happiness is that I could afford to nurture these talents without skimping on other aspects. By sending my son to a skating clinic that he really wanted to go to to improve his game. To travel with the team on tournaments that require hotels. He is usually the only kid who has to miss a few of those tournaments. He had one last year in Lake Placid where a parent was gracious enough to drive him up and let him stay in their room... but I missed it and LOVE watching him play.

My youngest is an absolute star. 5 years old (in his 3rd season) and plays in the 8 and under division. Highest scorer on his team this season. A AAA team has approached him to recruit him (yes, at 5 years old) which is how you start your journey to top 10 college play. I pay over $1000 a season for his fees now. AAA would cost $4500 per season. No can do.

I have missed quite a few games and my oldest son's shows (killer guitar player) due to having to work overtime to afford all of this. It takes me away on weekends to a different state. It helps pay for all of it but takes me away from the people I do it for.

I know what you mean about being happy and it coming from inside but if you are miserable with the money you need to nurture your children and still spend time with them then, you're right. You are just a miserable pr**k. In my case, the only thing in the way of my complete happiness is money.

My wife and I got into some financial trouble years ago due to a job shift and poor economy (I was a self employed contractor). We never recovered. If Bill Gates sent me a check for $20,000 life would be good forever. We make decent money but can't get our heads above water.

Sorry, maybe this was too much info but keeping it inside gives me a headache.

I totally get what your saying, but don't confuse happiness with financial security.The crux of your post is how great it is when you can provide financial stability for your family, but without them it doesn't matter. You do what you can financially and appreciate what you have. Without your family that check from Bill Gates would mean squat. You know what I'm saying?

• Like 2

Money can buy security, which for some means happiness. Sure money eliminates stress and worry to a degree. Both things to be happy about, but true happiness comes from inside. Its a feeling that goes beyond mere security. Plenty of rich people are depressed. Plenty of rich people take drugs. Plenty of rich people commit suicide. Some may think money solves all problems and calms your inner demons. It doesn't. When someone has all the money they need and they are still not content and happy inside where do they go from there?

In my estimation, money makes certain aspects of life easier to deal with but in no way does it buy happiness. In my opinion one thing brings happiness on the highest level possible. Love. To feel true love, and to be able to love others unselfishly.

Without my wife and daughter I don't think I could ever be happy no matter how much money I had. They make my life worth living, not money.

In conclusion...money can't stop you from falling ill. It can't heal someone you love and protect them. It can make you feel loved, nor can it provide you with the ability to love. It can make you feel more secure, but it can not buy happiness.

This is exactly right. I agree completely.

While I agree that if you are a miserable person without money you will be a miserable person with money, the truth remains that money can buy happiness.

Let me 'splain.

I have an amazing wife and three great (truly great) kids. I am very happy that they are in my life and that they are all blessed with certain traits and talents. Good looking kids (from their mother) and amazing athletes/ musicians.

Where money could buy happiness is that I could afford to nurture these talents without skimping on other aspects. By sending my son to a skating clinic that he really wanted to go to to improve his game. To travel with the team on tournaments that require hotels. He is usually the only kid who has to miss a few of those tournaments. He had one last year in Lake Placid where a parent was gracious enough to drive him up and let him stay in their room... but I missed it and LOVE watching him play.

My youngest is an absolute star. 5 years old (in his 3rd season) and plays in the 8 and under division. Highest scorer on his team this season. A AAA team has approached him to recruit him (yes, at 5 years old) which is how you start your journey to top 10 college play. I pay over $1000 a season for his fees now. AAA would cost $4500 per season. No can do.

I have missed quite a few games and my oldest son's shows (killer guitar player) due to having to work overtime to afford all of this. It takes me away on weekends to a different state. It helps pay for all of it but takes me away from the people I do it for.

I know what you mean about being happy and it coming from inside but if you are miserable with the money you need to nurture your children and still spend time with them then, you're right. You are just a miserable pr**k. In my case, the only thing in the way of my complete happiness is money.

My wife and I got into some financial trouble years ago due to a job shift and poor economy (I was a self employed contractor). We never recovered. If Bill Gates sent me a check for $20,000 life would be good forever. We make decent money but can't get our heads above water.

I am very sorry you are in a situation where you want to do more for your family but are currently unable. I do hope that changes for you.

However, I do completely agree with the statement "Money can't buy happiness." In your situation, money would allow you and your family to do additional things that make them happy. But it wouldn't buy true happiness, deep within yourself. You said "I have an amazing wife and three great (truly great) kids"--that is exactly the sort of thing that gives one true happiness, and precisely the sort of thing money cannot buy. Think of it this way, would you rather be poor and have your family, or have millions of dollars and lose the wife & kids in a car crash? If money did buy happiness then people would choose the latter and just get remarried, but we all know it's not the same.

Edited by x1yyz

Let me 'splain.

I am very sorry you are in a situation where you want to do more for your family but are currently unable. I do hope that changes for you.

However, I do completely agree with the statement "Money can't buy happiness." In your situation, money would allow you and your family to do additional things that make them happy. But it wouldn't buy true happiness, deep within yourself. You said "I have an amazing wife and three great (truly great) kids"--that is exactly the sort of thing that gives one true happiness, and precisely the sort of thing money cannot buy. Think of it this way, would you rather be poor and have your family, or have millions of dollars and lose the wife & kids in a car crash? If money did buy happiness then people would choose the latter and just get remarried, but we all know it's not the same.

Yes, but my point is that I don't have them right now. I have no choice but to work away from them as often as I can to support them.

Let's put it this way. Assuming nothing else in your life would change... you are happier with money. Can we all agree there?

Let me 'splain.

I'm with you there. I have a friend who is a firefighter and his daughter is an amazing dancer, son amazing hockey player. They basically spent every cent they had above shelter and food to pay for their activities. We had them over for dinner at least once a month... figured every little bit helped. My kids were always into music, so not nearly as expensive (yet) as his kids passions.

My son is working now, so the new guitar he paid for...

• Like 1

I'm glad to see this thread has gotten back on-point.

I'm a firm believer that money cannot buy happiness. A certain amount of it is necessary in our society to afford a certain degree of security- food, clothing, shelter. Those are the necessities.

I've lived some of my life with some money (like now), and I've lived through some of my life with absolutely no money- and when I say no money, I mean none at all. There were a couple if years in my 20s when I wasn't even allowed to have a bank account, anywhere, because I'd bounced too many checks (and not spending on frivolous things- I'm talking about things like my apartment rent, for example). So all the money I had in the world was in cash, and was in my pocket. And if I had none, then I had none. The only things I had that were worth any real currency at all were in my music collection- which I would sell off bits and pieces of, routinely, so I could do things like eat dinner- like for four bucks, at Burger King. I lived like that for at least a year or two.

This was at the same time that I was just newly sober, too. Truthfully, I had even less disposable income then than I had during the last couple of years of my drinking- because I was facing up to my debts and being honest, which meant not skirting my creditors (my previous creditors, I should say, because they certainly weren't putting up with me anymore!).

Believe me when I say that I take absolutely nothing for granted in this life. Nothing. Not ever.

And all of that was a long time ago, now. I have two sons, and I'm able to support them and give them everything they need and/or want. I'm fortunate enough to even be able to save up money for things like college for them, and retirement for me. There is more that I'd like to be able to do with all that I have now, but...I just don't.

I have a serious disdain for those who place too much emphasis on material gain. I do have a lot of material comforts now that I couldn't possibly have had, say fifteen years ago. But money isn't the thing that does it for me- it doesn't make or break this life. Money doesn't buy my happiness; having true love in my heart does. I believe that transcends everything else.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Let me 'splain.

Yes, but my point is that I don't have them right now. I have no choice but to work away from them as often as I can to support them.

Let's put it this way. Assuming nothing else in your life would change... you are happier with money. Can we all agree there?

Sure, but that's different. That's "Having more money is better than having less." I would also be happier if I was 20 lbs lighter or if my hair was curlier, but those things wouldn't make me a happy person on their own.

Agreed.... but let's take it to the other extreme. Say you had those problems now, with your two sons. Would it break your heart not to be able to provide things like college? Things that would help THEM live a better life?

Heartbreak = sadness.

Sadness is the opposite of happy.

I'm not talking about getting my kids $400 sneakers or spoiling them with anything they want. I'm talking about nurturing their talents and giving them opportunities to make their way in life. Can they succeed without it? Sure. People do. They are loved and cared for. Having the means to allow them to truly experience life and all it has to offer would make me happier.

Edited by KennyLee

Let me 'splain.

Only those who have no idea of what it is like, Kenny, wouldn't. Nice platitudes do not cut it.

• Like 2

Let me 'splain.

I'm with you there. I have a friend who is a firefighter and his daughter is an amazing dancer, son amazing hockey player. They basically spent every cent they had above shelter and food to pay for their activities. We had them over for dinner at least once a month... figured every little bit helped. My kids were always into music, so not nearly as expensive (yet) as his kids passions.

Just keep in mind, life is NOT about having everything you desire. It just doesn't work that way. Most people can't have everything they want. You have to live within your means and make concessions. I provide plenty for my daughter. She doesn't lack much. She is quite loved and has plenty of the comforts she desires. That being said their are things her friends have that she does not. We make no apologies for that. Some of her friends live in beautiful homes twice the size of my own, and have a lot of material possessions.

At the end of the day, so what? She knows full well what she has. She knows what she has outweighs what she does not. She knows she has two parents who love and absolutely adore her, and THAT is priceless! Everything else is nice but that is what is most important. She gets it and I'm proud of her.

• Like 3

Let me 'splain.

Just keep in mind, life is NOT about having everything you desire. It just doesn't work that way. Most people can't have everything they want. You have to live within your means and make concessions. I provide plenty for my daughter. She doesn't lack much. She is quite loved and has plenty of the comforts she desires. That being said their are things her friends have that she does not. We make no apologies for that. Some of her friends live in beautiful homes twice the size of my own, and have a lot of material possessions.

At the end of the day, so what? She knows full well what she has. She knows what she has outweighs what she does not. She knows she has two parents who love and absolutely adore her, and THAT is priceless! Everything else is nice but that is what is most important. She gets it and I'm proud of her.

My kids actually "get it" too. I couldn't be prouder of that. When I tell them I can't afford something, they understand and don't complain... ever.

That being said, I should be able to afford it. Like I said before, we make enough to be able to afford it. Past circumstances screwed that up. I'm not trying to change the world. Just telling my son that his passion for life is no longer in our budget saddens me.

I call bulls**t.

Most causes of unhappiness are money related.

Stress at work (which is where we go to make money.

Stress about bills.

Worry about repairs to house, cars.

Worry about... well everything money can buy.

Money would make me a very happy person. I have a pretty damned good life with the exception of the fact that money problems make everything good so difficult.

:rantoff:

Money can also create new problems that didn't exist before.

Money can't buy happiness, but it certainly can help you find it if you know where to look! :)

• Like 1

Let me 'splain.

We feel the same way... and you can see that shine thru in our kids. My kids don't care about the brand of clothes or shoes they wear or lots of other things like that. My daughter has a simple cell phone and never asks for a smart phone or something we know she's not ready for yet. My son will be graduating college this year and didn't have to pay for any of it or take out any loans, that was a commitment we made early on.

We don't struggle, but we don't live extravagantly either...

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Let me 'splain.

Only those who have no idea of what it is like, Kenny, wouldn't. Nice platitudes do not cut it.

Damn do I get everything kenny is talking about. When your kids get older it will become something you can possibly joke about at least in my family it has. My son opening the refrigerator wide and snapping a photo of how empty it is. Sh*t like that.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I call bulls**t.

Most causes of unhappiness are money related.

Stress at work (which is where we go to make money.

Stress about bills.

Worry about repairs to house, cars.

Worry about... well everything money can buy.

Money would make me a very happy person. I have a pretty damned good life with the exception of the fact that money problems make everything good so difficult.

:rantoff:

Money can also create new problems that didn't exist before.

Money can't buy happiness, but it certainly can help you find it if you know where to look! :)

I think those problems would be easier than the current ones. I'm not talking about the $154 million dollar powerball. I'm talking about paying off some debts to live paycheck to paycheck with a few extra rainy day bucks. THAT would make life so much simpler.

• Like 1

I've often said this before. Money is freedom. With money, you can afford to do the things that you want to do. You can do where you want to go, you can experience what you want to experience, and can do what you want to do.

If I had a great deal of freedom to chase my dreams, I would certainly be happier. ;)

• Like 3

I've often said this before. Money is freedom. With money, you can afford to do the things that you want to do. You can do where you want to go, you can experience what you want to experience, and can do what you want to do.

If I had a great deal of freedom to chase my dreams, I would certainly be happier. ;)

Exactly!!

And we ain't talking a ton of money either. A bit more would make all the difference.

• Like 1

Let me 'splain.

Damn do I get everything kenny is talking about. When your kids get older it will become something you can possibly joke about at least in my family it has. My son opening the refrigerator wide and snapping a photo of how empty it is. Sh*t like that.... :)

Glad someone does but not glad you do from experience. :(

• Like 1

Let me 'splain.

Damn do I get everything kenny is talking about. When your kids get older it will become something you can possibly joke about at least in my family it has. My son opening the refrigerator wide and snapping a photo of how empty it is. Sh*t like that.... :)

Glad someone does but not glad you do from experience. :(

My wife and I have made plenty of money over the years. I wish I had a dollar for every time one of us said to the other "we have nobody to blame for this but ourselves".....
  • Like 1