What is the most amazing fact about Rush?

antiquark

They all have a sense of humour and dont take themselves too seriously. They could be 3 bono's very easily considering the level of success and adoration they've had.

I'd like to ask them how they managed to avoid that. I mean, human nature is human nature. Surely they must have had times when they've wanted to kiss themselves in the mirror and pull the "Don't you know who I am???" line.

There a many, many amazing facts about these guys. But I think the one that stands supreme in my mind is this.... their stature in the industry today despite decades of being maligned, hated, and overall discounted -

Somehow, the vitriol didn't seem to phase them. They continued forward and were incredibly successful along the way. Aside from a few "are you kidding me, guys?" songs here and there, they essentially did it their way.... record companies, music critics, and Rolling Stone be damned!

But, despite the negativity...

Over the years, all those Rush fans who listened to the so-called "real rock fans" and "music experts" tell them their favorite band sucked sort of took over the world (how many Rush fans do you think write code for Google, for example!?), continued to love the band, and kept buying the albums, going to the shows, and guaranteed the band's relevance.

Over the years, even the most hardened of Rush haters eventually had to acknowledge the band for their longevity and independence.

Over the years, a number of musicians in groups that did have the attention and love of the industry (Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, among others) came out of the "Rush closet" and said, "Yes, this is a great band. They were very influential on me and my style."

So, yeah, over the years, the reality some of us knew all along finally hit the rest of the world.... Rush is an iconic band and deserves a place at the table of the "great ones". That's where they are now. They are the Roger Maris of Rock and Roll.

This is an excellent excellent post. I'm really acknowledging that....but....

Roger Maris had one excellent season and a couple of good ones during a mostly mediocre career. No remarkable longetivity, no far reaching influence. That is not really a good analogy...

Edited by savagegrace26

There a many, many amazing facts about these guys. But I think the one that stands supreme in my mind is this.... their stature in the industry today despite decades of being maligned, hated, and overall discounted -

Somehow, the vitriol didn't seem to phase them. They continued forward and were incredibly successful along the way. Aside from a few "are you kidding me, guys?" songs here and there, they essentially did it their way.... record companies, music critics, and Rolling Stone be damned!

Over the years, all those Rush fans who listened to the so-called "real rock fans" and "music experts" tell them their favorite band sucked sort of took over the world (how many Rush fans do you think write code for Google, for example!?), continued to love the band, and kept buying the albums, going to the shows, and guaranteed the band's relevance.

Over the years, even the most hardened of Rush haters eventually had to acknowledge the band for their longevity and independence.

Over the years, a number of musicians in groups that did have the attention and love of the industry (Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, among others) came out of the "Rush closet" and said, "Yes, this is a great band. They were very influential on me and my style."

So, yeah, over the years, the reality some of us knew all along finally hit the rest of the world.... Rush is an iconic band and deserves a place at the table of the "great ones". That's where they are now. They are the Roger Maris of Rock and Roll.

In a way I think they've been lucky they're not US artists. The fact that they're from Canada gives them a little bit of distance as far as publicity goes. If they had gotten very popular early in their career, things might've been different. They definitely have staying power. A lot of artists would've been devastated with all the teasing they got especially early on. But underneath all of that was respect for their songwriting and musicianship. I think that's what has kept them going all of these years. They keep striving to get better and challenge themselves.

The most amazing thing is that they all function like a human brain together.

Alex = Id

Geddy = Ego

Neil = Super-ego

Now that's interesting. I have always kind of thought this but you put it into words very well.

That none of them own a 1970 HEMI Charger if I had their money I would own several :drool:

Post of the day! Nice!

My dream car is a 69 Hemi 4speed charger! Best looking car dodge ever built. I will own one, one day..!

• Like 1

That none of them own a 1970 HEMI Charger if I had their money I would own several :drool:

How do you know what Neil doesn't have?

http://www.hagerty.c...drummers-models

Cool story! Thanks!

Roger Maris had one excellent season and a couple of good ones during a mostly mediocre career. No remarkable longetivity, no far reaching influence. That is not really a good analogy...

Completely disagree... baseball reality.... Yes, Maris only played 12 seasons... 6 of them were average... 6 were stellar or close to stellar

Maris played in 7 World Series with two different team in the 1960s (the most of any in that decade) and earned 4 rings, again, with two different teams. Yes, baseball is a team sport, but he was clearly a critical part of those teams. Maris was a four time All Star who won the MVP... twice. Oh yeah, he also broke the most beloved record in baseball (legitimately, and without chemical aid) in a city and country that was rooting for his boozing, womanizing teammate to beat him out because, apparently, only a boozing, womanizing Yankee should beat out a prior boozing, womanizing Yankee.

Another important, but often forgotten note, is Maris a solid right fielder with a .982 average (which happens to be better than some guys named Mays and DiMaggio). Sadly, the Baseball HOF puts a lot of emphasis on the bat and very little on fielding - which is why it is still the Hall of Shame.

Just as importantly, Maris was a gentleman.

Maris was completely undervalued as a player and a person. Much like Rush, he was overshadowed by louder, more flashy players on his teams and in his era. His career was admittedly short, but that is where the similarities end.... save for the fact that the RRHOF came to its senses and finally admitted Rush. Can't say the same for Cooperstown.

• Like 1

Completely disagree... baseball reality.... Yes, Maris only played 12 seasons... 6 of them were average... 6 were stellar or close to stellar

Maris played in 7 World Series with two different team in the 1960s (the most of any in that decade) and earned 4 rings, again, with two different teams. Yes, baseball is a team sport, but he was clearly a critical part of those teams. Maris was a four time All Star who won the MVP... twice. Oh yeah, he also broke the most beloved record in baseball (legitimately, and without chemical aid) in a city and country that was rooting for his boozing, womanizing teammate to beat him out because, apparently, only a boozing, womanizing Yankee should beat out a prior boozing, womanizing Yankee.

Another important, but often forgotten note, is Maris a solid right fielder with a .982 average (which happens to be better than some guys named Mays and DiMaggio). Sadly, the Baseball HOF puts a lot of emphasis on the bat and very little on fielding - which is why it is still the Hall of Shame.

Just as importantly, Maris was a gentleman.

Maris was completely undervalued as a player and a person. Much like Rush, he was overshadowed by louder, more flashy players on his teams and in his era. His career was admittedly short, but that is where the similarities end.... save for the fact that the RRHOF came to its senses and finally admitted Rush. Can't say the same for Cooperstown.

Interesting argument but regardless Maris is not nearly one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Rush is one of the greatest bands of all time.

A better comparison would be Stan Musial.

Or for the ones who haven't received enough recognition (not in hall of fame) I would pick Tim Raines, Alan Trammel, or even Dick Allen over Maris. (Probably not Allen because of his controversy factor)

Maris simply did not have the longetivity or consistency to warrant this comparison...which I'm probably taking too seriously.

I think in my opinion the most amazing thing about the guys is that over the last 40 years, unlike many other bands, they continued to evolve with their sound and they continued to bang out amazing music. Many bands just make the same old crap every album(looking at you AC/DC). That just amazes me completely.
  • Like 1

Post of the day! Nice!

My dream car is a 69 Hemi 4speed charger! Best looking car dodge ever built. I will own one, one day..!

Yup me too .