The Official Speed Of Love Bashing Thread v.1

len(songs)

I told you guys i put this song on. My beagle literally sighed and left the room. She is the smartest most tasteful pup in the world.

She also howls during Dogs by Pink floyd, lol

Mick

How does she react when you listen to the debut?..... :codger: ;)

Don't know never play it, :laughing guy:

:P :D

Mick

• Like 2

I told you guys i put this song on. My beagle literally sighed and left the room. She is the smartest most tasteful pup in the world.

Mick

How does she react when you listen to the debut?..... :codger: ;)

Don't know never play it, :laughing guy:

:P :D

Mick

Start a Youtube web series. Film your dog reacting to songs. That's not a bad idea actually...

Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL3D9ZdsBlw

• Like 1

Mick

Basically. Same look too. as if to say.......you KNOW Rush has better songs you could playing........why punish me? lol

Mick

• Like 2

I don't hate the song. There's plenty of other Rush tunes from the late 80's (HYF) to mid 90's(T4E) to slam that are worse in my opinion. As for the lyrics, I rarely pay attention to them anymore. Neil's writing / philosophy runs shallow with me.

I don't care for his interests or politics outside of making music. Friggin bird watching ? That's only topped by his boring travel dialogue that goes on and on aboot (i meant to spell it that way) places of little consequence to most people. I used to read his stuff hoping to get more insight about the band and ended up wasting my time. For every interesting snippet, there are chapters of toilet paper.

Uh oh. Looks like Neil's gettin' slapped around again.

I don't hate the song. There's plenty of other Rush tunes from the late 80's (HYF) to mid 90's(T4E) to slam that are worse in my opinion. As for the lyrics, I rarely pay attention to them anymore. Neil's writing / philosophy runs shallow with me.

I don't care for his interests or politics outside of making music. Friggin bird watching ? That's only topped by his boring travel dialogue that goes on and on aboot (i meant to spell it that way) places of little consequence to most people. I used to read his stuff hoping to get more insight about the band and ended up wasting my time. For every interesting snippet, there are chapters of toilet paper.

The more things change the more they stay the same aye?.......

For me, .. less is more - At least it is when it comes to knowing what interests any of the guys from Rush. I appreciate interviews that focus on their music, musical tastes, opinions on the music industry and the future of the band, etc. That's why its a slippery slope when you get a chance to meet or learn something about someone you hold in high regard. There is an good chance that whatever expectations you have of them may fall really flat or short.

I've had my fill of Neil and would rather not hear anything else about him, his hobbies or interests. Just let me know when the next bit of new music comes out.

Mick

Basically. Same look too. as if to say.......you KNOW Rush has better songs you could playing........why punish me? lol

Mick

My Beagle has no choice in the matter. I pay the bills and feed her. :LOL: :P

• Like 1

The more things change the more they stay the same aye?.......

For me, .. less is more - At least it is when it comes to knowing what interests any of the guys from Rush. I appreciate interviews that focus on their music, musical tastes, opinions on the music industry and the future of the band, etc. That's why its a slippery slope when you get a chance to meet or learn something about someone you hold in high regard. There is an good chance that whatever expectations you have of them may fall really flat or short.

I've had my fill of Neil and would rather not hear anything else about him, his hobbies or interests. Just let me know when the next bit of new music comes out.

Preach'in to the choir. I think he is boring as hell...
  • Like 1

Neil Peart:

What is your favorite live solo?

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

By far my favorite recorded solo is “De Slagwerker,” from Snakes And Arrows Live, which is, of course, the most recent one.

It’s strange, but people often seem to expect me to cite something from the past as my favorite solo, song, or album – perhaps to mirror their own opinion. While such people are certainly entitled to their preferences and prejudices, I always think it would be a terrible shame if I preferred my work from, say, ten years ago to what I’m doing now. I hope I stop before that day ever comes.

All of those old recorded songs and solos represent the best I could do at the time, but I continue to learn, gain understanding, and work hard on getting better. If you’re not getting better, what are you doing?

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/thus-spoke-neil/

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

By far my favorite recorded solo is “De Slagwerker,” from Snakes And Arrows Live, which is, of course, the most recent one.

It’s strange, but people often seem to expect me to cite something from the past as my favorite solo, song, or album – perhaps to mirror their own opinion. While such people are certainly entitled to their preferences and prejudices, I always think it would be a terrible shame if I preferred my work from, say, ten years ago to what I’m doing now. I hope I stop before that day ever comes.

All of those old recorded songs and solos represent the best I could do at the time, but I continue to learn, gain understanding, and work hard on getting better. If you’re not getting better, what are you doing?

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/thus-spoke-neil/

This makes perfect sense. He continually works to get better and grow as a musician.

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

http://www.drummagaz...hus-spoke-neil/

This makes perfect sense. He continually works to get better and grow as a musician.

He sounds very disdainful there though.

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

You think so? I don't really read it that way. It just sounds like he prefers to look forward. Many artists feel that way. It's like once they're done with the piece of music or art work or whatever they move on to the next project. They are continually striving to improve themselves.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

You think so? I don't really read it that way. It just sounds like he prefers to look forward. Many artists feel that way. It's like once they're done with the piece of music or art work or whatever they move on to the next project. They are continually striving to improve themselves.

Specifically this part "perhaps to mirror their own opinion. While such people are certainly entitled to their preferences and prejudices"

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

Specifically this part "perhaps to mirror their own opinion. While such people are certainly entitled to their preferences and prejudices"

Well I'm sure they have run across a lot of negativity about their music in the past. He's not saying he has preferences and prejudices, but that other people do. He just chooses to look forward rather than backward.

Edited by EagleMoon

Neil Peart:

Michael S. Conley

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Rush fan since 1982

Well I'm sure they have run across a lot of negativity about their music in the past. He's not saying he has preferences and prejudices, but that other people do. He just chooses to look forward rather than backward.

I didn't think that he said he has prejudices, but just him selectively using the word "prejudice" has a negative edge to it toward fans. He certainly is not free of "prejudices" regarding his own work.

We all know that Neil can be a bit of a prat sometimes. But iota is very true that a consummate artists will constantly look forward to the next show, the next song, and will themselves to improve, to be better than last time. Given that I'm a professional musician (of the classical sort...now you can all be less impressed :P ), I know exactly where he's coming from. The only reason for looking back is to remind yourself what not to do in the future. The good things will stick with you, they can be improved upon. The bad things need to be eliminated, hence looking back and being honest enough to accept them and want to improve upon them.

In Neil's case, his tempo control is certainly way better than it was in the past. He really nails the speed of each song, so that when all the samples come in in the concerts, the band is right together with them

We all know that Neil can be a bit of a prat sometimes. But iota is very true that a consummate artists will constantly look forward to the next show, the next song, and will themselves to improve, to be better than last time. Given that I'm a professional musician (of the classical sort...now you can all be less impressed :P ), I know exactly where he's coming from. The only reason for looking back is to remind yourself what not to do in the future. The good things will stick with you, they can be improved upon. The bad things need to be eliminated, hence looking back and being honest enough to accept them and want to improve upon them.

In Neil's case, his tempo control is certainly way better than it was in the past. He really nails the speed of each song, so that when all the samples come in in the concerts, the band is right together with them

Well I'm an "artist" and I feel the same way so I get it. Everything I've done before now I view as crap. The difference is that everything going forward will be crap too :)

Y'all are going to just love this. :LOL:

I looked through Contents Under Pressure. In the section about Counterparts, I found this quote from Neil:

I didn't like the making of it that much, but I like a lot of the results. Again not everything lives up to its potential, but Animate I still like; Nobody's Hero was good. Alien Shore, I like the lyrics to particularly; Speed of Love likewise.

Y'all are going to just love this. :LOL:

I looked through Contents Under Pressure. In the section about Counterparts, I found this quote from Neil:

I didn't like the making of it that much, but I like a lot of the results. Again not everything lives up to its potential, but Animate I still like; Nobody's Hero was good. Alien Shore, I like the lyrics to particularly; Speed of Love likewise.

Well if anyone would like a nerd's view on love fantasies....he would....

• Like 1

Here's another interesting TSOL Neil quote from the Rush Vault:

“‘The Speed of Love’ is kind of a mid-tempo, more sensitive rock song. That song probably took me the longest [of the pieces on Counterparts] to find just the right elements I wanted to have in the drum part. What made it a challenge is that I wanted the feel and the transitions between sections to be just right. I played that song over and over, refining it until I was satisfied. I don’t think the listener will hear all the work that went into that track.” (Modern Drummer)—Neil in Merely Players http://rushvault.com/2011/01/12/the-speed-of-love-background/

“‘The Speed of Love’ is kind of a mid-tempo, more sensitive rock song. That song probably took me the longest [of the pieces on Counterparts] to find just the right elements I wanted to have in the drum part. What made it a challenge is that I wanted the feel and the transitions between sections to be just right. I played that song over and over, refining it until I was satisfied. I don’t think the listener will hear all the work that went into that track.” (Modern Drummer)—Neil in Merely Players http://rushvault.com/2011/01/12/the-speed-of-love-background/

So he spent days trying to make himself sound as bored as possible? :eh:

“‘The Speed of Love’ is kind of a mid-tempo, more sensitive rock song. That song probably took me the longest [of the pieces on Counterparts] to find just the right elements I wanted to have in the drum part. What made it a challenge is that I wanted the feel and the transitions between sections to be just right. I played that song over and over, refining it until I was satisfied. I don’t think the listener will hear all the work that went into that track.” (Modern Drummer)—Neil in Merely Players http://rushvault.com...ove-background/

:huh: Ask him the next time you run into him. ;)

“‘The Speed of Love’ is kind of a mid-tempo, more sensitive rock song. That song probably took me the longest [of the pieces on Counterparts] to find just the right elements I wanted to have in the drum part. What made it a challenge is that I wanted the feel and the transitions between sections to be just right. I played that song over and over, refining it until I was satisfied. I don’t think the listener will hear all the work that went into that track.” (Modern Drummer)—Neil in Merely Players http://rushvault.com...ove-background/

He'll probably be wearing some sort of disguise. Doesn't like public contact, remember.

He'll probably be wearing some sort of disguise. Doesn't like public contact, remember.

That's not true. He states right here that talks to the "regular people of America" at gas stations and hotels and restaurants:

Edited by savagegrace26