Rush R40 Blu Ray Box Set this November

Bigbobby10

Capitol Theatre 1976

1) Bastille Day 2) Anthem 3) Lakeside Park 4) 2112 5) Fly By Night/In The Mood

Lock and Key 1988

Molson Amphitheatre 1997

1) Limelight 2) Half the World 3) Limbo 4) Virtuality 5) Nobody's Hero 6) Test for Echo 7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo 8) 2112 (all seven parts)

These are bootlegs.

Bootlegs? I don't think so...

I have them on my stick in audio.

Lock and Key is definitely the version that was released on the A Show of Hands laserdisc. Not a bootleg.

Capitol Theatre 1976

Lock and Key 1988

Molson Amphitheatre 1997

1) Limelight 2) Half the World 3) Limbo 4) Virtuality 5) Nobody's Hero 6) Test for Echo 7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo 8) 2112 (all seven parts)

These are bootlegs.

Lock and Key is definitely the version that was released on the A Show of Hands laserdisc. Not a bootleg.

The Capiol Theater show is also not a bootleg. The videos are up on youtube. Not entirely sure about the T4E show, but I doubt it's a bootleg

If there is a bulk of 16x9 footage either it will be presented in 16x9 with the SD scaled in letterboxed at 4x3 or the entire show will be presented in 4x3. The show is a piece of history as presented and the cost of a full re-edit would be very high. I will be very surprised if they went through with that kind of effort for this release.

I don't think they'll re-edit it either, but I don't see them dumbing down all those glorious 16x9 HD shots to match the standard def shots. The better option would be to blow up the SD shots to fill a 16x9 screen and keep the HD shots as they are.

If there is a bulk of 16x9 footage either it will be presented in 16x9 with the SD scaled in letterboxed at 4x3 or the entire show will be presented in 4x3. The show is a piece of history as presented and the cost of a full re-edit would be very high. I will be very surprised if they went through with that kind of effort for this release.

I don't think they'll re-edit it either, but I don't see them dumbing down all those glorious 16x9 HD shots to match the standard def shots. The better option would be to blow up the SD shots to fill a 16x9 screen and keep the HD shots as they are.

I said that too in my original post. Either keep the sd shots in 4x3 or scale (and crop them) to fill the 16x9 frame. Cropping them will destroy the composition though as they were originally framed for 4x3 so that combined with the resolution loss means they will not look good.

The idea of a blu-ray release for Rush in Rio is also very enticing.

My understanding is that there were always audio problems with the Test for Echo shows they filmed that prevented a DVD from ever being released. This is probably everything they could salvage.

RIR on Blu-ray is indeed interesting seeing as it was filmed with a combination of HD cameras and standard def (SD) cams -- all the remote cams around Neil's kit and Geddy's keyboards were SD. Because of those SD cams, the DVD was presented in a letterboxed 4x3 format as opposed to 16x9 widescreen. If they're turning this show into a Blu-ray, they're either zooming in on those lo-res remote shots to fill an HD screen, which will look like crap, or they're re-editing the whole show to eliminate those cams altogether -- and that would be very do-able since there were plenty of HD cameras covering the show. Let's hope they choose the latter.

Interesting. I didn't know that about the combination of cameras. I haven't watched Rio in years so I don't have any particular attachment to the camera shots they used. If they re-edited it so it was all in HD and used some different camera angles, I would not complain.

Most likely it will be presented in original 4x3 aspect ratio with letterboxing on the sides. Can't imagine a re-edit.

Then it makes no sense to issue it as a Blu-ray. If they do as you suggest, you'll have letterboxing on the top and bottom AND pillarboxing on the sides -- or, windowboxing. No way they release a Blu-ray like that. Unless you're suggesting they crop the sides off the 16x9 HD shots to fill a 4x3 box? I can't see them doing that either.

Only on the sides if the majority of the original footage is actually HD (and preserve the originally released 4x3 aspect ratio) unless they do the alternative like I stated and have the HD footage full 16x9 and keep the SD shots 4x3 . Regardless, most releases try to preserve the original aspect ratio whenever possible (think old tv series that were shot 4x3).

Okay, I see what you're saying -- you're suggesting UN-letterboxing the SD shots (on the original DVD they were cropped on the top and bottom to match the aspect ration of the HD cams) and presenting the Blu-ray in a mixed format -- HD footage at full 16x9, and SD pillarboxed in 4x3. Yeah, that would be a little distracting but not bad. But that would still require them to go into the original edit project and resize all those SD shots. Hopefully they at least willing to take that step.

My understanding is that there were always audio problems with the Test for Echo shows they filmed that prevented a DVD from ever being released. This is probably everything they could salvage.

RIR on Blu-ray is indeed interesting seeing as it was filmed with a combination of HD cameras and standard def (SD) cams -- all the remote cams around Neil's kit and Geddy's keyboards were SD. Because of those SD cams, the DVD was presented in a letterboxed 4x3 format as opposed to 16x9 widescreen. If they're turning this show into a Blu-ray, they're either zooming in on those lo-res remote shots to fill an HD screen, which will look like crap, or they're re-editing the whole show to eliminate those cams altogether -- and that would be very do-able since there were plenty of HD cameras covering the show. Let's hope they choose the latter.

Interesting. I didn't know that about the combination of cameras. I haven't watched Rio in years so I don't have any particular attachment to the camera shots they used. If they re-edited it so it was all in HD and used some different camera angles, I would not complain.

Most likely it will be presented in original 4x3 aspect ratio with letterboxing on the sides. Can't imagine a re-edit.

Then it makes no sense to issue it as a Blu-ray. If they do as you suggest, you'll have letterboxing on the top and bottom AND pillarboxing on the sides -- or, windowboxing. No way they release a Blu-ray like that. Unless you're suggesting they crop the sides off the 16x9 HD shots to fill a 4x3 box? I can't see them doing that either.

Only on the sides if the majority of the original footage is actually HD (and preserve the originally released 4x3 aspect ratio) unless they do the alternative like I stated and have the HD footage full 16x9 and keep the SD shots 4x3 . Regardless, most releases try to preserve the original aspect ratio whenever possible (think old tv series that were shot 4x3).

Okay, I see what you're saying -- you're suggesting UN-letterboxing the SD shots (on the original DVD they were cropped on the top and bottom to match the aspect ration of the HD cams) and presenting the Blu-ray in a mixed format -- HD footage at full 16x9, and SD pillarboxed in 4x3. Yeah, that would be a little distracting but not bad. But that would still require them to go into the original edit project and resize all those SD shots. Hopefully they at least willing to take that step.

Yes, like this for either the entire show or just for the sd shots (which would be very distracting):

http://jalf00.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/pillarboxing.jpg

If they aren't going to release the Blu-Ray version of Rio as a stand-alone release and it's just going to be included in the box set then I don't see them putting that much effort into it.

Capitol Theatre 1976

Lock and Key 1988

Molson Amphitheatre 1997

These are bootlegs.

The Capiol Theater show is also not a bootleg. The videos are up on youtube. Not entirely sure about the T4E show, but I doubt it's a bootleg

The T4E shows in Toronto 1997 were officially filmed back then. Definitely no boots.

Yes, like this for either the entire show or just for the sd shots (which would be very distracting):

http://jalf00.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/pillarboxing.jpg

If they aren't going to release the Blu-Ray version of Rio as a stand-alone release and it's just going to be included in the box set then I don't see them putting that much effort into it.

Wait a second. Is Rush in Rio presented in widescreen with letterboxing on the top and bottom? It says on Amazon it's presented in 1:85.1 which is very close to 16x9 (16x9 is 1.78:1, 1.85:1 is a film aspect ratio used for theatrical release).

Sorry, it's been so long since I watched it. I mistakenly assumed the whole thing was presented 4x3.

Then this is pretty much a simple scaling job. They will most likely just scale the entire show to full 1080p (with 16x9 aspect ratio) and live with the less than stellar resolution of the SD shots. Since those shots are already cropped then there is not much work to do. The quality of the SD shots won't be ideal but that was how the show was recorded. There has been worse.

Edited by savagegrace26

No Resist either? That was a great version. They always give us something to complain about ;)

A full Test for Echo show would've been the perfect incentive to buy this most likely expensive box set.

Yeah, I'm quite puzzled by the song selections myself. However, I think a positive is that aside from Limelight, Leave That Thing Alone and the drum solo, the rest of the songs (I'm counting the full side A of 2112) are previously unreleased on live video and/or live CD. I wonder if the reason why they took only a handful of songs in the Molson 1997 footage has anything to do with the fact that it's going to be nightmare fuel for an editor to sync up a different performance to the one captured on video that works well cohesively and theory-wise. Apparently the budget to fix up the Molson footage would've costed $150,000 back in 1998 (it's probably even more now when adjusting for inflation).

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having RiR, R30, S&A Live, TM 2011 and CAT bundled together in this package either. Sans RiR, I have R30 and CAT on BluRay and IDK if getting the other three would suffice a must purchase for me. Maybe I'm thinking in terms of the Criterion Collection but in concert video form, but I would much rather have a BluRay transfer of ESL..., P/G Tour and ASOH to be frank and with a new and improved "anti-loudness" audio mix that unfortunately was anything but "anti-loud/brickwalled" on the DVD releases.

No Resist either? That was a great version. They always give us something to complain about ;)

A full Test for Echo show would've been the perfect incentive to buy this most likely expensive box set.

Yeah, I'm quite puzzled by the song selections myself. However, I think a positive is that aside from Limelight, Leave That Thing Alone and the drum solo, the rest of the songs (I'm counting the full side A of 2112) are previously unreleased on live video and/or live CD. I wonder if the reason why they took only a handful of songs in the Molson 1997 footage has anything to do with the fact that it's going to be nightmare fuel for an editor to sync up a different performance to the one captured on video that works well cohesively and theory-wise. Apparently the budget to fix up the Molson footage would've costed $150,000 back in 1998 (it's probably even more now when adjusting for inflation).

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having RiR, R30, S&A Live, TM 2011 and CAT bundled together in this package either. Sans RiR, I have R30 and CAT on BluRay and IDK if getting the other three would suffice a must purchase for me. Maybe I'm thinking in terms of the Criterion Collection but in concert video form, but I would much rather have a BluRay transfer of ESL..., P/G Tour and ASOH to be frank and with a new and improved "anti-loudness" audio mix that unfortunately was anything but "anti-loud/brickwalled" on the DVD releases.

Yes, it would be a nightmare to sync up footage to a different performance as I 've stated somewhere on this board before. Perhaps they did attempt to fix the entire show but those were the only songs they were able to successfully sync with another performance. The song selection is kind of odd so this may be the case.

You forgot to mention Nobody's Hero. Now that I looked over the T4E setlist, they picked every song that hasn't had a video release (except for Limelight and LTTA). You're probably right. They probably picked the songs that have never had a video release. Not sure why they would choose Limelight but LTTA makes sense because it leads into Neil's drum solo.

I guess they didn't want to include Resist but the Test for Echo tour version is different enough from the acoustic version's from RIR and R30 to warrant inclusion.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

As long as it isn't an official statement I would mind my language, but as for now this sounds really____to me. If they release the Molson and Capitol footage separately I'd surely buy it.
  • Like 1

This could've been a huge compilation of "rare or barely known" Rush concert footage like Led Zeppelin DVD but it falls flat by having all of the post-ASOH footage compiled onto a set. I think releasing a single BluRay/DVD of previously unreleased concert footage would've been more sensible. F**k, they could've thrown in sections of the the Shoreline 1990 pro-shot, sections of the Auburn Hills 1994 pro-shot (there's also footage from the RTB tour from the same venue that made it onto a Japanese TV segment during that era IIRC), and the bit of concert footage seen during Rush's Juno HOF induction video and it would've warrant a must buy from me. Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

This could've been a huge compilation of "rare or barely known" Rush concert footage like Led Zeppelin DVD but it falls flat by having all of the post-ASOH footage compiled onto a set. I think releasing a single BluRay/DVD of previously unreleased concert footage would've been more sensible. F**k, they could've thrown in sections of the the Shoreline 1990 pro-shot, sections of the Auburn Hills 1994 pro-shot (there's also footage from the RTB tour from the same venue that made it onto a Japanese TV segment during that era IIRC), and the bit of concert footage seen during Rush's Juno HOF induction video and it would've warrant a must buy from me.

They'll get to it post-retirement.

• Like 2

Can't wait for the live video from the t4e tour. I don't care what people say, I love Virtuality and want to see it's live video
  • Like 2

Seems there are 10 discs as all the original bonus discs are there as well. Would have preferred all the rarities and the Chronicles videos put together, remastered, remixed, refarted.....whatever.
  • Like 1