Gene Simmons and his big mouth.

edm2112

Maybe I'm alone on this...but ol' Gene's yapper has been running off too much this year. I used to enjoy KISS...but for the past few years they've been on a rapid decline musically and personality wise. Perhaps when I was a fan I was too young to notice how Gene and Paul became this tag-team stupid factory.

Through his accusations of former bandmates being anti-Semitic junkies....to saying poor people need to be nice to rich a-holes like him because "rich people will give you a job" HA!...and let's not forget the super insensitive statement he made about suicide and depression immediately following the death of Robin Williams: "'I'm depressed. I live in Seattle.' f**k you, then kill yourself. I never understand, because I always call them on their bluff. I'm the guy who says 'Jump' when there's a guy on top of a building who says, 'That's it, I can't take it anymore. I'm going to jump.' Are you kidding? Why are you announcing it? Shut the f**k up, have some dignity and jump! You've got the crowd," then immediately try to cover his ass by releasing a statement saying the exact polar opposite of his previous rant.

In his most recent tirade, he claims that "Rock is finally dead"...

Now I can maybe see where he might be coming from on this one...the whole x factor/american idol nonsense and how people worship these horrid pop stars these days....but if anything I think Gene has been digging his own KISS shaped grave...I think Tommy and Eric might be the only ones with functioning brains left. Gene and Paul cant play or sing anymore...everything is way tuned down and you hear nothing but a low growl of something that might have sounded like a KISS song at one point in time...I know they gave Rush a boost way back in the day..but I'd even venture a guess that the boys have distanced themselves from that kind of idiocy

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

Maybe I'm alone on this...but ol' Gene's yapper has been running off too much this year. I used to enjoy KISS...but for the past few years they've been on a rapid decline musically and personality wise. Perhaps when I was a fan I was too young to notice how Gene and Paul became this tag-team stupid factory.

Through his accusations of former bandmates being anti-Semitic junkies....to saying poor people need to be nice to rich a-holes like him because "rich people will give you a job" HA!...and let's not forget the super insensitive statement he made about suicide and depression immediately following the death of Robin Williams: "'I'm depressed. I live in Seattle.' f**k you, then kill yourself. I never understand, because I always call them on their bluff. I'm the guy who says 'Jump' when there's a guy on top of a building who says, 'That's it, I can't take it anymore. I'm going to jump.' Are you kidding? Why are you announcing it? Shut the f**k up, have some dignity and jump! You've got the crowd," then immediately try to cover his ass by releasing a statement saying the exact polar opposite of his previous rant.

Now I can maybe see where he might be coming from on this one...the whole x factor/american idol nonsense and how people worship these horrid pop stars these days....but if anything I think Gene has been digging his own KISS shaped grave...I think Tommy and Eric might be the only ones with functioning brains left. Gene and Paul cant play or sing anymore...everything is way tuned down and you hear nothing but a low growl of something that might have sounded like a KISS song at one point in time...I know they gave Rush a boost way back in the day..but I'd even venture a guess that the boys have distanced themselves from that kind of idiocy

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours and no offence but reading that quote on Robin Williams kinda bummed me out!

It's hard to understand people picking on Peart when assholes like Gene walk the earth.. And ya, the Rush boys surely distanced themselves from the 'stupid circus' as evidenced by Gene's comment "what the f**k did they do in their hotels rooms after the show??" Uh maybe educated themselves with books? Talked to their families on the phone? Wrote some thoughtful music that wasn't about retarded sexual metaphors and screwing sixteen year olds..

• Like 4

I saw Kiss and Def Leppard this summer. I walk away very impressed by Kiss. I had a great time.

The man has his opinions. You may not agree with them. Fine.

Personally, I'm okay with him. And get this, I don't always agree with the guy. I have friends and family that speak with less self-censorship than Gene Simmons.

I hate walking on the P.C. thin ice.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours and no offence but reading that quote on Robin Williams kinda bummed me out!

It's hard to understand people picking on Peart when assholes like Gene walk the earth.. And ya, the Rush boys surely distanced themselves from the 'stupid circus' as evidenced by Gene's comment "what the f**k did they do in their hotels rooms after the show??" Uh maybe educated themselves with books? Talked to their families on the phone? Wrote some thoughtful music that wasn't about retarded sexual metaphors and screwing sixteen year olds..

I don't think it's fair to imply that Simmons isn't smart or educated. I'm pretty sure he was a teacher, in fact. And Geddy himself acknowledged that, while Kiss aren't virtuosos by any means, they worked hard to give their fans a good show every night. That isn't true for every band. I'm not a huge fan, and I certainly don't consider Simmons to be my spokesman. I do enjoy some Kiss now and again though.

Ironically enough, people whose lives have been touched by special needs kids might be kinda bummed out by the use of the term "retarded" to mean unintelligent.

• Like 1

Gene's hair is dead, it died in 1955 on a road outside Reno Nevada after being hit by a milk truck. That was when it was a raccoon. The years since haven't been kind to it but Gene found it, he took it in and has made good use of it over the last 30 years. It's showing a lot of wear and tear but not bad for a furry animal that hasn't breathed for 60 years!
  • Like 3

Gene's hair is dead, it died in 1955 on a road outside Reno Nevada after being hit by a milk truck. That was when it was a raccoon. The years since haven't been kind to it but Gene found it, he took it in and has made good use of it over the last 30 years. It's showing a lot of wear and tear but not bad for a furry animal that hasn't breathed for 60 years!

:laughing guy: Mine died a slow death fortunately.....

Everyone is entitled to an opinion...thats fine by me. He just comes off extremely arrogant about his opinions...like a "If you don't agree then you're an idiot" kind of thing. I don't hold people to the whole P.C. thing, but I feel like most agree that he's said some things that just shouldn't be said because it's something that a decent person keeps to themselves...
  • Like 1

Plenty of celebrities say things that are deemed offensive or not PC.

Why should Gene Simmons be singled out?

And I get his point about Rock being dead. When was the last time rock music shaped or challenged our entertainment culture? I gotta say it was in the early 90's. Nirvana was IT.

Your thoughts?

Judging by Neil's lyrics, he could've used a little hotel room pussy in those early years.

• Like 1

Interestingly, because of those suicide comments he made after Robin's death. My local Hard Rock station in Winnipeg (Power 97.5) banned Kiss from the airwaves. The morning DJ was fed up with the continued crap coming out of him, and the rest of the station staff agreed. No more Kiss on Power, although you can still hear them on the classic rock station. The DJ was then kind of King for a day in town, after work being invited to many other radio stations to do interviews.
  • Like 1

Plenty of celebrities say things that are deemed offensive or not PC.

Why should Gene Simmons be singled out?

And I get his point about Rock being dead. When was the last time rock music shaped or challenged our entertainment culture? I gotta say it was in the early 90's. Nirvana was IT.

Like I said, I can see where he's coming from with that point...but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's been murdered and buried. Rock has been a very cyclical genre...It usually takes a while for it to jump back up to the forefront. And sure, piracy has screwed up the industry...but that goes for most genres. Most artists these days know that they wont get much, if anything, for record sales and that's why they all really rely on live shows and tours.

I guess the reason I "singled out" Gene is because I'm selective in what things I follow...musicians and music related topics or stories tend to catch my attention more than some idiot millionaire/pop star/reality diva nonsense...And because I used to be a pretty big KISS fan...went to two shows about 10 years ago, painted up and the whole nine yards...

He's just come off as a major tool this year...

http://i.imgur.com/Ae8sPHI.png

• Like 1

Your thoughts?

I don't think it's fair to imply that Simmons isn't smart or educated. I'm pretty sure he was a teacher, in fact. And Geddy himself acknowledged that, while Kiss aren't virtuosos by any means, they worked hard to give their fans a good show every night. That isn't true for every band. I'm not a huge fan, and I certainly don't consider Simmons to be my spokesman. I do enjoy some Kiss now and again though.

Ironically enough, people whose lives have been touched by special needs kids might be kinda bummed out by the use of the term "retarded" to mean unintelligent.

Ironic because your post follows Re-Rushed's post about walking on PC thin ice?

Your thoughts?

No because he said it bummed him out that Simmons said something he thought was insensitive about Williams' struggle.

I don't mind Kiss as a band - I like some of their songs (I'm going to get :bitchslap: for this). But for Gene Simmons himself, though I wasn't really that bothered about him (I thought he was okay-ish), I found that my opinion of him just fell through the ground the moment he told sufferers to do themselves in. I can't believe he'd lower himself to say such a hurtful thing.

I think gene's thought process is, "as long as I keep my name or KISS' name out there, we will be in society's eye, and we and make $$$" at this point.

Entertainers need to shut up and do what they get paid to do - entertain!

• Like 1

Your thoughts?

I guess you're right, I shouldn't assume Gene isn't smart. When I hear him talk though his smug demeaner makes him appear that he's trying to act smarter than he is.

As far as your comment on "retarded", I think am using the word correctly and when I grew up it was even normal to call a special needs person mentally retarded (though not simply "retarded") because technically that's what they are. "Special needs" is a softer term that came from political correctness. That said I would still say "special needs" in that context because it's become the norm and I wouldn't want to offend the person.

• Like 1

Your thoughts?

I guess you're right, I shouldn't assume Gene isn't smart. When I hear him talk though his smug demeaner makes him appear that he's trying to act smarter than he is.

As far as your comment on "retarded", I think am using the word correctly and when I grew up it was even normal to call a special needs person mentally retarded (though not simply "retarded") because technically that's what they are. "Special needs" is a softer term that came from political correctness. That said I would still say "special needs" in that context because it's become the norm and I wouldn't want to offend the person.

It was normal to use the term "colored person" once too. Or worse. The word "retarded" wasn't a synonym for unintelligent unless you were saying the target of the comment was what we would now call special needs. Anyways, my point was that you said you were bothered by Simmons' comments about Williams because you thought they were insensitive. As is using retarded as a synonym for unintelligent.

• Like 1

Your thoughts?

No because he said it bummed him out that Simmons said something he thought was insensitive about Williams' struggle.

His insensitive remark included in a critique of an insensitive remark. Gotcha.

He's a douche. I don't go for being PC at all times either but that doesn't mean I negate the intention or repercussions.

Much like freedom of speech. You can say anything you want but don't be surprised when people hate you for it.

Dunning-Kruger effect... in effect. Pretty talent less so he thinks he's great. He's a descent showman but... that's it.

• Like 1