Why was Aimee Mann chosen to sing on Time Stand Still?

x1yyz

The only other Canadian singer that was available was K.D. Lang but they wanted a female!

Yowza! That stung a little... :LOL:

Geddy Lee (1988): "We knew that the part she sings on was a feminine part. We didn't want to use a keyboard or have Alex or myself sing it, so we started looking for a female singer. It's a very attractive opportunity for us to work with a female singer. We just looked until we found a voice, that was suitable. In listening to Aimee's last record, we loved the way she sang, so we just asked her."

I hope they've learned that Rush songs don't need "feminine parts."

One out of 165 is a definite trend.

There are that many feminine parts? I can only think of 3 off hand.... :huh: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Geddy Lee (1988): "We knew that the part she sings on was a feminine part. We didn't want to use a keyboard or have Alex or myself sing it, so we started looking for a female singer. It's a very attractive opportunity for us to work with a female singer. We just looked until we found a voice, that was suitable. In listening to Aimee's last record, we loved the way she sang, so we just asked her."

There are that many feminine parts? I can only think of 3 off hand.... :huh:

One song out of 165 has female vocals.

Though that's actually wrong; Open Secrets has Aimee Mann backing vocals and there's the backwards sample in Tai Shan. So three of 165 sounds right.

Though that's actually wrong; Open Secrets has Aimee Mann backing vocals and there's the backwards sample in Tai Shan. So three of 165 sounds right.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will listen for it in Open Secrets next time. The other I will take your word for it.....

Thanks for clearing that up. I will listen for it in Open Secrets next time. The other I will take your word for it.....

You never know...maybe Tai Shan is better backwards

• Like 2

Virtuality backwards...

Virtuality backwards...

lrig ten yob ten?..... It has potential. Like some old Beatles lyrics... :yes: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

Virtuality backwards...

lrig ten yob ten?..... It has potential. Like some old Beatles lyrics... :yes:

Modem spelled backwards is medom.

Virtuality backwards...

Peart spelt backwards is treap which is a portmandeau of tree and heap and the meaning of the blended word is LA wine snob.

• Like 4

I went to an Aimee Mann concert in 2005 and she was pretty amazing. I first discovered who she was with the Rush video, then I bought a copy of "I'm With Stupid" and it was brilliant. She was promoting a concept album at the concert, but of course she had to perform songs like "Voices Carry". It was a small venue and the crowd was drunk and constantly yelling sexual comments. This was long before the days of YouTube comments sections, of course. I remember how quickly she ran off of the stage at the end of the concert -- kind of like Neil, but for a much better reason.
  • Like 1

I've heard that she did vocals on Open Secrets, but I've never actually noticed them. At what point does she sing?

Well, at least everyone should be happy they didn't do an album with Lou Reed...

What a "cool" project that would have been.... :facepalm: :no:
  • Like 2

Well, at least everyone should be happy they didn't do an album with Lou Reed...

Or Neil Young. Talk about singing out of tune.

Or Rick Wakeman. Wait a second.... :yes:
  • Like 1

Virtuality backwards...

Peart spelt backwards is treap which is a portmandeau of tree and heap and the meaning of the blended word is LA wine snob.

Taco cat spelled backwards is Taco cat!

• Like 1

He's bad, but he's got nothing on the master...

Brothers from different mothers. :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR3_RMpBksI

Good Lord. My brother was dragged to see him by a "friend" years and years ago and said it was the worst pile he had ever seen or heard.... :|