Should Rush revisit HOLD YOUR FIRE on the next tour?

losingit2k

Pick your HYF Song for the next tour  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which songs should Rush drag ou tof the next tour?

Its settled. There is something wrong with me. I have a great appreciation for the first 8 on this album now but I think Second Nature is incredible and goose bump inducing. I used to think Mission was the only song on there like that but alas I was wrong again. Nobody here or at least very few even mention the song..... :eh:

I like Second Nature and think it's very underrated and I think Open Secrets is borderline incredible. The bass line, the synths, the lyrics, the phrasing, the guitar solo. Everything.

You look like a bad mofo today.

Agree on both counts. Open Secrets gets me too. I gotta change it up once in a while and I know you weren't digg'in my sad face.... :D

Just curious...are you a fan of Lock and Key?

Songs 2 - 8 are all pretty damn awesome. We all know 1 & 2 and have heard them so many times and they are good too of course. When I listen to it I just listen to 2 - 8 right now. Except Mission these songs are very new to me and I can't hear them enough at this point. I think I am going to move on to Presto for a while and get more familiar with those.....

No F10? :o

• Like 1

Its settled. There is something wrong with me. I have a great appreciation for the first 8 on this album now but I think Second Nature is incredible and goose bump inducing. I used to think Mission was the only song on there like that but alas I was wrong again. Nobody here or at least very few even mention the song..... :eh:

I like Second Nature and think it's very underrated and I think Open Secrets is borderline incredible. The bass line, the synths, the lyrics, the phrasing, the guitar solo. Everything.

Agree on both counts. Open Secrets gets me too. I gotta change it up once in a while and I know you weren't digg'in my sad face.... :D

Songs 2 - 8 are all pretty damn awesome. We all know 1 & 2 and have heard them so many times and they are good too of course. When I listen to it I just listen to 2 - 8 right now. Except Mission these songs are very new to me and I can't hear them enough at this point. I think I am going to move on to Presto for a while and get more familiar with those.....

Its a good song but I have heard it to many times and would rather concentrate on what is new to me right now. If they had stopped at 8 songs this one would be better than Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure as a whole In my opinion. It may be better anyway even with the 2 sh*tty songs at the end.....
  • Like 3

Its a good song but I have heard it to many times and would rather concentrate on what is new to me right now. If they had stopped at 8 songs this one would be better than Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure as a whole In my opinion. It may be better anyway even with the 2 sh*tty songs at the end.....

Hm.... I understand. I've honestly gotten a bit tired of the song too, but not enough to skip it. Maybe my second least favorite out of the first eight.
  • Like 1

Second Nature would work for me...

You and me both! I always thought you had good taste!

:codger: We have to stick together.... :D
  • Like 1

Give High Water a chance.

Oh. Are you wanted by law enforcement?

I listened to 9 and 10 last night. Not a fan.... :no:

Oh well. I wasn't a fan of it for 18 years until this past week now I can't get enough of it. Try again when you're 71.

• Like 3

:wacko: <-------------------------------- me apparently....

I understand what you mean about Goose Bump Inducing. Second Nature is my favorite Rush song. HYF my favorite album. Tracks 2-8 are definitely the meat of the album. However, I NEVER skip over Mission!

• Like 2

Give High Water a chance.

Oh. Are you wanted by law enforcement?

I listened to 9 and 10 last night. Not a fan.... :no:

Oh well. I wasn't a fan of it for 18 years until this past week now I can't get enough of it. Try again when you're 71.

:LMAO:
  • Like 2

And what am I, chopped liver? I like Second Nature as well. I love the entire album, even Tai Shan, although its my least favorite on HYF.
  • Like 2

I agree Second Nature is very underrated. Alex has a great lead and its one of Geddy's best vocal endeavor.

I had always picture A Baby Grand Piano rising from the middle of the stage and Geddy walking over and saying

" What do I do with this?" and they go into Second Nature! Then after he says,"Well since its already up here!" and he goes into Available Light!

That would be epic for me!

:codger:

• Like 2

I agree Second Nature is very underrated. Alex has a great lead and its one of Geddy's best vocal endeavor.

I had always picture A Baby Grand Piano rising from the middle of the stage and Geddy walking over and saying

" What do I do with this?" and they go into Second Nature! Then after he says,"Well since its already up here!" and he goes into Available Light!

That would be epic for me!

:codger:

:cheers:
  • Like 1

Lock and Key rocks. It's just begging to be played live—hasn't been done since its inaugural tour if I remember correctly.

Also, Time Stand Still. They did it well on the Time Machine Tour, and I've always loved that song.

EDIT: AutoCorrect sucks sometimes.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

This is turning out exactly how I expected: Most People want to hear those barely played HYF songs. Lock & Key, Open Secret and Prime Mover with Turn the Page leading the way. I have always felt that Turn the Page is the best song on HYF. I'm still wondering why they've never played it again?

:huh:

• Like 1

This is turning out exactly how I expected: Most People want to hear those barely played HYF songs. Lock & Key, Open Secret and Prime Mover with Turn the Page leading the way. I have always felt that Turn the Page is the best song on HYF. I'm still wondering why they've never played it again?

:huh:

Yeah it baffles me too. All of those songs you listed would greatly benefit from being beefed up a bit. Especially Lock and Key and TTP
  • Like 1

I know they would sound amazing. They always seem to dredge up he same TTS,F10 and Mission. You have other good songs on HYF guys, give them some love too! You'd b very amazed on how well they would be received.

Actually I wouldn't mind Ii too much if they played most of the album! It's that good! Some of the best work from All three. Geddy's bass and Vocals are excellent. Alex's leads are incredible. And Neal , Well he's Neal (What else can you say) ! Come on guys give us some rare HYF tracks!

:dweez: :drool: :dweez:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

I know they would sound amazing. They always seem to dredge up he same TTS,F10 and Mission. You have other good songs on HYF guys, give them some love too! You'd b very amazed on how well they would be received.

Actually I wouldn't mind Ii too much if they played most of the album! It's that good! Some of the best work from All three. Geddy's bass and Vocals are excellent. Alex's leads are incredible. And Neal , Well he's Neal (What else can you say) ! Come on guys give us some rare HYF tracks!

:dweez: :drool: :dweez:

I'm with you there man! HYF is one stellar album...I hope Neil isn't too embarrassed to play something different from it :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Hold Your Fire is a masterpiece and the most underrated Rush album by a long way imo. Hell I'd be happy to see them play it in its entirety (yes... even Tai Shan!). Though I feel my opinion is probably not shared by many. I can see that, speaking from quite an objective point of view, how many of the other albums could be viewed as "stronger". But there's just something about this one that connected to me on a higher personal level than any of the others. Kinda hard to explain but for whatever reason, I love this album.
  • Like 3

I'd love to see Prime Mover and Turn The Page back in the set. The latter probably won't ever happen though considering how much rehearsing Geddy would probably have to do to get it at 100%, though the vocal line seems like something he'd have no trouble singing. Open Secrets is due for a live debut as well.
  • Like 1

I'd love to see Prime Mover and Turn The Page back in the set. The latter probably won't ever happen though considering how much rehearsing Geddy would probably have to do to get it at 100%, though the vocal line seems like something he'd have no trouble singing. Open Secrets is due for a live debut as well.

I don't know, I bet Geddy wouldn't have too much trouble with TTP. I think it's very possible

I don't know, I bet Geddy wouldn't have too much trouble with TTP. I think it's very possible

Geddy Lee (Bass Player, Nov/Dec 1988): "It's not the easiest thing (playing and singing at the same time) in the world to do. You have to put a lot of hours into practice. As a matter of fact, on this tour I had a major problem with "Turn The Page." It's a very busy bass part, and the vocal part doesn't really relate to it very much. Eventually I got it, but it took a lot of practice. You can do those things, but you have to practice them a lot. You have to split yourself, as they say. Split your hands. Split yourself in two really, and let your hands do something, and let your voice do the other."

• Like 2