Favorite Geddy Lee Synth Songs

Entre_Perpetuo

Simple. Pick your favorite Geddy Lee Synth songs from each album and all together. (I'll be back later to make my post)

Enjoy!

Note: Only AFTK-CA count

AFTK: Xanadu

Hemispheres: Hemispheres

PeW: JL

MP: TCE

Signals: Subdivisions

GuP: Distant Early Warning

PoW: Manhattan Project

HYF: Mission

Presto: Scars

RTB: Roll The Bones

CP: LTTA

T4E: Time and Motion

VT: Probably none but I say Vapor Trail (I swear I hear some at 1:50!)

S&A: TMMB

CA: The Garden (Not much on here...)

AFTK: Xanadu

Hemi: The Trees

PeW: Jacob's Ladder

MP: Camera Eye

Sig: The Weapon

GUP: The Body Electric/Red Lenses

PoW: Manhattan Project/Territories/Mystic Rhythms

HYF: Turn the Page

Presto: Show Don't Tell

RTB: Roll the Bones

CP: Nobody's Hero

T4E: Resist

VT: N/A

Snakes: TMMB

CA: Garden

Xanadu

Circumstances

Jacob's Ladder

Vital Signs

New World Man

The Body Electric

Middletown Dreams

Force Ten

War Paint

Where's My Thing?

Nobody's Hero

The Garden (even though there's not a lot of synths)

• Like 2

Do you mean when there's just keyboards and no bass guitar or very little bass like Afterimage, Between The Wheels, Scars, or almost everything else they've ever done?

Forgot Scars. Have to change mine. I think he means the most effective use of synth regardless of the amount. I almost picked The Analog Kid because it's very subtle but very effective.

• Like 1

Actually Scars is a sampled bass line but i guess would count as a synth song! The interpretation of this thread is too open making it worthless!

What do you mean too open? Which songs do you personally like for the use of synths? Why is that difficult? Of course Scars would count. Any song with synths would count.

• Like 2

Ged's synths are simple and beautiful and just perfect for this band, they're all sublime the guy's an underrated genius in rock on those things and way too many to mention but la villa demonstrates their quality perfectly and their welcome return on BU2B for me took them to even greater heights.

The band made a point the synths werent always necessary with VT but their inclusion has been fundamental in this great band's development

• Like 2

Saw this comment here:

I agree with it. Maybe they should've continued along that path.

"They were clearly moving uncharted territories with these albums, from power windows to hold your fire. . and a little residual influence of the truly progressive power and energy and optimism and uplifting hope. . . then that old producer told them their music was losing its 'balls" and forced alex to return to a dry guitar sound and replacing the mid range with alex's distorted guitar when geddy was brilliantly filling this mid range with atmospheric pads and synth sounds that were filling the mid range beautifully . ... after this came counterparts and test for echoes. . unfortunately , I kind of stopped following them. I had every album to that point. they returned to a hard-edged, rather cynical sounding effort to return to moving pictures.. . they should have kept going with geddy's MIDI contributions. ..they could have done ever increasing exploration of that futuristic, optimistic sound. . .. oh well, just one opinion among millions.. .what do i know? really? "

• Like 1

I don't understand the purpose of placing arbitrary rules on creating music such as not using any synths on Vapor Trails. I think the album could've benefited greatly from using some synths even just as some subtle accents here and there instead of all of those guitar layers and geddy choirs and oohs and aahs.
  • Like 2

I don't understand the purpose of placing arbitrary rules on creating music such as not using any synths on Vapor Trails. I think the album could've benefited greatly from using some synths even just as some subtle accents here and there instead of all of those guitar layers and geddy choirs and oohs and aahs.

Actually I think I hear synths on Vapor Trail, at 1:50. They're pretty buried in the mix, but I'm sure they're there :wacko:

Actually I think I hear synths on Vapor Trail, at 1:50. They're pretty buried in the mix, but I'm sure they're there :wacko:

There might be some buried but hardly enough. Synths or strings or something could have been used in place of the Geddy "yea-ahhs" in that particular song.

• Like 1

I think there is synth in Sweet Miracle. Not sure about Vapor Trail

I think there is synth in Sweet Miracle. Not sure about Vapor Trail

Vapor Trail just sounds like layered guitars.

Just the albums I've yet gotten to, as per usual:

2112: 2112 Overture

AFTK: A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres: La Villa Strangiato

PeW: Jacob's Ladder (honorable mentions: The Spirit Of Radio and the piano backups in Different Strings if you can count that)

MP: YYZ (talk about a perfect entrance) (honorable mentions: Vital Signs, Tom Sawyer)

Signals: Subdivisions (honorable mention: Losing It)

P/G: Distant Early Warning (honorable mention: Red Sector A)

PoW: THE WHOLE DARN ALBUM!!! It's an overlooked masterpiece of rock synthesizer playing. But if I had to pick one, my vote goes to the air cutter synths in Territories. Scared me a bit first time I heard it.

HYF: Lock And Key, just for the intro. Love that powerful, urgent sound. (Btw, anyone else think the synths on HYF actually aren't as prominent as on PoW, I guess I never noticed before, but maybe that's part of the reason HYF is such a difficult album to get into for a lot of fans. From synths to guitar, there's just not as much memorable mid range going on as in previous albums)

CA: If it counts, whatever the effect is right at the start of Caravan. Best I can think of. (Honorable mention, Halo Effect, again for the beginning).

Overall: YYZ/Distant Early Warning (honorable mention: THE WHOLE DARN POWER WINDOWS ALBUM)

PeW: Jacob's Ladder (honorable mentions: The Spirit Of Radio and the piano backups in Different Strings if you can count that)

MP: YYZ (talk about a perfect entrance) (honorable mentions: Vital Signs, Tom Sawyer)

PoW: THE WHOLE DARN ALBUM!!! It's an overlooked masterpiece of rock synthesizer playing. But if I had to pick one, my vote goes to the air cutter synths in Territories. Scared me a bit first time I heard it.

HYF: Lock And Key, just for the intro. Love that powerful, urgent sound. (Btw, anyone else think the synths on HYF actually aren't as prominent as on PoW, I guess I never noticed before, but maybe that's part of the reason HYF is such a difficult album to get into for a lot of fans. From synths to guitar, there's just not as much memorable mid range going on as in previous albums)

CA: If it counts, whatever the effect is right at the start of Caravan. Best I can think of. (Honorable mention, Halo Effect, again for the beginning).

Overall: YYZ/Distant Early Warning (honorable mention: THE WHOLE DARN POWER WINDOWS ALBUM)

The piano on DS was done by Hugh Syme. Same with the 2112 synths and the Tears mellotron.

The piano on DS was done by Hugh Syme. Same with the 2112 synths and the Tears mellotron.

Oh yeah, forgot Geddy didn't do 2112...I guess the weird wind effects in The Twilight Zone then. The piano in DS did sound a bit beyond Ged anyway.

Actually Scars is a sampled bass line but i guess would count as a synth song! The interpretation of this thread is too open making it worthless!

What do you mean too open? Which songs do you personally like for the use of synths? Why is that difficult? Of course Scars would count. Any song with synths would count.

What i mean is that about 90% of Rush songs have synths on them and that's a lot of their music and it's impossible to pick favorites as there's just too much choice, that's all!

What i mean is that about 90% of Rush songs have synths on them and that's a lot of their music and it's impossible to pick favorites as there's just too much choice, that's all!

100% of Rush's music is Rush's music and in album form, but from all that I can say A Farewell To Kings is my favorite album of theirs, though the rest of their music is awesome as well. Not too open methinks.