Anybody Else Burnt Out On The Whole Catalog?

presto123

There was at least a 20 year period when my kids were growing up (about 85' - 05') that I never bought any music. No albums, cassettes, CDs nothing. The last album I bought by anyone was Power Windows. The only music I listened to was classic rock radio in the car during that time. I never even listened to music at home.

:(

I never said I was "normal" but I am harmless... ;)
  • Like 1

There was at least a 20 year period when my kids were growing up (about 85' - 05') that I never bought any music. No albums, cassettes, CDs nothing. The last album I bought by anyone was Power Windows. The only music I listened to was classic rock radio in the car during that time. I never even listened to music at home.

Mostly harmless...

Mostly harmless...

So long and thanks for all the fish?

That was my response as well. Sounds like being in jail or something.

I am burnt out on most Toto and Springsteen.

But I still love them soooooooo much!

That's how it should be,

You move on to other tunes. But alway's come back to what you love most at some point.

Exactly! The two bands I am burnt out on the most that I love are Lacuna Coil and The Beatles. But lately I have found myself hooked on both of them. But my biggest obsession of 2014 so far has been Rush. I think they are magic!

But because I don't soley listen to them, I never get tired of them (but I have noticed that the more I have come to appreciate some of the lesser renowned albums, such as HYF and Presto, the more established classics, such as 2112 and PeW seem slightly less thrilling than they did at first.)

I've said this on here before......but the Beatles were my fav band growing up....but i made the deadly mistake of overdosing on them. I still respect them but it's been around 3 years since they've echoed off my walls. and i'm fine with that sadly.

So that......kiddies......is a cautionary tale.

Mick

So I played my cards perfectly by ignoring music for 25 years..... :dweez:

Indeed, lol.

Mick

Fixed my own.... :LOL:

I have a hard time imagining that. Music is such a huge part of my life, and even though Rush has come in and out of it more or less since the late 70's, they've always been there in some form. Even when they were doing crap like Vapor Trails. :LOL:

There was at least a 20 year period when my kids were growing up (about 85' - 05') that I never bought any music. No albums, cassettes, CDs nothing. The last album I bought by anyone was Power Windows. The only music I listened to was classic rock radio in the car during that time. I never even listened to music at home. The start of a very slow resurgence was when I took my daughter to the Vapor Trails show. The only song I had heard from it was One Little Victory. When I took my son to the Snakes & Arrows show in 07' I hadn't ever heard any of it (and they played lots of it :zzz: ) ......

Wake the fu**up!! :smash: :LOL:

• Like 1

Between the years 1978 - 1992, The Fall were my favourite band. For some reason, when the Shift-Work album came out in '92 I didn't buy it. I practically stopped listening to them for the next 9 years, until in 2001 I saw an ad saying they were playing locally. i went to the gig and it re-ignited my love for them. Bought up the 90's album's I'd missed and had a great time catching up. Still enjoying them now.

Point is, you can have too much of a good thing. Sometimes a long break is exactly what's needed :)

Edited by Smegger68

In all honesty bands like Rush and The Beatles deserve to have their music played to death. Both these bands destroy all their peers! I cannot choose between them!

In all honesty bands like Rush and The Beatles deserve to have their music played to death. Both these bands destroy all their peers! I cannot choose between them!

Wrong,

If you play them to death than you lose all interest. Learn to expand youngster. :codger: :D

• Like 2

Wrong,

If you play them to death than you lose all interest. Learn to expand youngster. :codger: :D

I was being hyberbolic.

I have just recently been listening to some unfamiliar Rush from the late 80's and 90's so I am in a much different position than most here. Its fresh to me... :)

Same here I'll go back like I am now that I have some time on my hands and listen to the Sector II albums. It's all fresh to me especially songs like natural science, Jacob ladder etc, to name a few. I can't wait for the other Sectors to come then ill really get an earful.

I have just recently been listening to some unfamiliar Rush from the late 80's and 90's so I am in a much different position than most here. Its fresh to me... :)

Same here I'll go back like I am now that I have some time on my hands and listen to the Sector II albums. It's all fresh to me especially songs like natural science, Jacob ladder etc, to name a few. I can't wait for the other Sectors to come then ill really get an earful.

My advantage at this point is I have never heard most the music (at least 90% I would guess) from 87' - 07' until just recently. That music coma I was in during those years was a deep sleep. What I have learned so far is that HYF has 8 badass songs on it and Presto probably 8 also. I used to sh*t all over them but I was just full of sh*t and ignorant.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

My advantage at this point is I have never heard most the music (at least 90% I would guess) from 87' - 07' until just recently. That music coma I was in during those years was a deep sleep. What I have learned so far is that HYF has 8 badass songs on it and Presto probably 8 also. I used to sh*t all over them but I was just full of sh*t and ignorant.... :)

Was? :outtahere:

(In reference to HYF & Presto)

My advantage at this point is I have never heard most the music (at least 90% I would guess) from 87' - 07' until just recently. That music coma I was in during those years was a deep sleep. What I have learned so far is that HYF has 8 badass songs on it and Presto probably 8 also. I used to sh*t all over them but I was just full of sh*t and ignorant.... :)

You gotta give them a shot or another shot or whatever the case may be. I can't believe I enjoy at least 80% of them myself but it is what it is. Especially the meat of HYF is just awesome I don't know what to say.... :huh: :rose:
  • Like 4

You gotta give them a shot or another shot or whatever the case may be. I can't believe I enjoy at least 80% of them myself but it is what it is. Especially the meat of HYF is just awesome I don't know what to say.... :huh: :rose:

(I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time :) )

• Like 1

(I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time :) )

Wouldn't want it any other way. You are a darling I will give you that.... :)

Hold Your Fire is the bands most beautiful album.

It makes sense to me!

• Like 1

Hemisphere is my fav now. that album has beauty beyond words. and it happened when the title track clicked. That album is a finely crafted jewel.

Mick

:blah: Please pay no attention to the user name on this post and the ugly dude in the avatar, I am KennyLee and I approve of this post....... ^^^^
  • Like 3

My music taste ebbs and flows on a cyclical basis. I go through a lot of moods. I may be big on '90s grunge for awhile, then move on to new indie stuff, then to some prog, and all of those usually last between two weeks to a month. And there's always a band that I focus on in those moods. Soundgarden, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, and Genesis are a few examples from this past summer.

Whenever I don't quite know what mood I'm in, Rush is my go-to. They're my fallback because I'll usually go a decent period of time where I don't listen to much of them, and the stuff becomes "fresh" again. I don't force this system on myself; my subconscious decided it works, I guess. And I'm pretty happy with it.

Rush may be the band I've listened to longer than anyone and never burned out on.

• Like 1

Hemisphere is my fav now. that album has beauty beyond words. and it happened when the title track clicked. That album is a finely crafted jewel.

Mick

Sometimes it just takes a while to be able to appreciate perfection. ;)

• Like 1

Mick

I wish Segue would hurry up. No matter.....i feel confident we will see the "Segue" may be a few years.....but we will see it, lol

Mick

Mick

I wish Segue would hurry up. No matter.....i feel confident we will see the "Segue" may be a few years.....but we will see it, lol

Mick

Eventually he'll come around. I just feel it. :)

• Like 1