Honesty sort of...

Narps

Quick story and then to the point. I had an incident losing my wallet the other day that baffles me somewhat. I have been in Florida all week helping my parents empty their house there as they have finally sold it. We were at the tire store the other day and I left my wallet there. I didn't even realize I had misplaced it until they had already closed for the evening. I went there the next morning and they had it thank God. I had a twenty and a one dollar bill in there when I lost it. When the guy handed it to me of course I checked to see if everything was still there. Thankfully everything was there but the twenty was gone. I felt relieved but just don't get the rational. Somebody took the twenty and left the dollar bill. Anyone had a similar experience or venture a guess as to why someone would do that?..

:huh:

Why would someone steal twenty dollars from your wallet? Because some people are assholes. :LOL:

This reminds of the time my cousin and I found a wallet in the parking lot of a Blockbuster Video. It contained fifty dollars in cash, credit cards, etc. I thought we should take it to the local police station, but my cousin insisted we should return it to the owner (we got his address from his Driver's License).

We were so proud of ourselves when we knocked on his door and presented him with his wallet. What did he do? He counted the money in his wallet, said he had over three hundred dollars in it when he lost it, and accused us of stealing it.

He was ranting and raving like a madman. . . threatened to call the police on us. We ran back to the car and got the f**k out of there.

No good deed goes unpunished. . .

• Like 2

Why would someone steal twenty dollars from your wallet? Because some people are assholes. :LOL:

This reminds of the time my cousin and I found a wallet in the parking lot of a Blockbuster Video. It contained fifty dollars in cash, credit cards, etc. I thought we should take it to the local police station, but my cousin insisted we should return it to the owner (we got his address from his Driver's License).

We were so proud of ourselves when we knocked on his door and presented him with his wallet. What did he do? He counted the money in his wallet, said he had over three hundred dollars in it when he lost it, and accused us of stealing it.

He was ranting and raving like a madman. . . threatened to call the police on us. We ran back to the car and got the f**k out of there.

My question was more to do with why would they take the twenty and not the dollar bill too?

My question was more to do with why would they take the twenty and not the dollar bill too?

I can't speak for that particular crook, but when I'm doing my thieving, I view one-dollar bills as being below me. Some of us villains do our work with dignity.

But I'm glad that you got your wallet back and that the losses were minimal.

• Like 2

Maybe they thought that if they left something behind you might not notice a bill was missing, or it might take you longer?

Heh, you should have told them, "Here, let me give you $20 as a reward. Oh, I see you already took it."

• Like 4

So good of you to return Zumbi's wallet to him ;)

• Like 5

I was at the GMO (Greater Milwaukee Open golf tournament) in the late 80s and was waiting in line for some food. A $100 bill blew by, I stepped on it and picked it up. I started looking around to see where it came from, and I walked to the front of the line and asked if anyone lost any money. A 80+ yr old lady started crying - it turned out to be her social security money (or what was left of it I guess). She bought me a burger for returning that money :)

Another time at Summerfest, I came across a $20 blowing around and made no attempt to find where it came from seeing there was no way of telling where it came from.

• Like 3

At least a semi finalist for post of the year right there^^^...:LOL:
  • Like 1

Come on now, we should lay off him a little. He is a bit arrogant at times but he's a nice enough guy.

• Like 1

Come on now, we should lay off him a little. He is a bit arrogant at times but he's a nice enough guy.

LOL - I was just in the middle of posting something similar when I saw the "one new post added" message. I don't know Zumbi enough to say he's a nice guy or not, but piling on isn't really needed.

• Like 2

That is weird but I think x1yyz has a good point about maybe the thief thinking you wouldn't look too closely and just assume that everything was still there.

JANIE!!!

:hug2:

:banana: Luvins!! :hi:

That is weird but I think x1yyz has a good point about maybe the thief thinking you wouldn't look too closely and just assume that everything was still there.

This makes sense. They were not really ethical but didn't want get caught either. There was a conscience at work of some kind there...
  • Like 1

This makes sense. They were not really ethical but didn't want get caught either. There was a conscience at work of some kind there...

:goodone:

That's typical in a lot of situations.

For example, A kid notices five cookies in the cookie jar. Takes four of them and leaves one. :P

• Like 2

Perhaps they thought you'd only do a cursory glance of your wallet when you picked it up, see the dollar and think all was well until sometime later (when hopefully you were too far from the store to give a shit). If they'd taken all the cash, that cursory glance would immediately reveal something was amiss.

At least that's my rationale when I take money from people's wallets.

• Like 1

I remember at school our teacher gve us a scenario where we found a wallet with cash in, what would we do...

A few of the kids said they'd take the money but hand in the wallet..

I think they decided to help themselves to a reward or they charged you a finder's fee. Either that, or if they saw your photo id and thought you looked like a rich guy. :LOL:

Mugshot would be more like it.

At least they would think I am 6' 165 lbs like I was 20 or so years ago... :LOL:

I agree! He's a very nice guy!

• Like 1

I don't understand how somebody could steal something... I would feel so guilty :(

Sorry Narp, but at least you got your wallet back.

I was thrilled to get it back and the twenty is a pitance to give up for its return.I just thought it facinating that someone would leave the dollar bill from an ethics point of view. Just thinking of the "struggle" that the person that found it had with his or her own conscience...

Danish credit cards have numbers on them that makes you able to purchase things over the Internet. If American credit cards have the same, I'd keep a close watch on my transactions. If someone is dumb enough to steal 20$ that person may be dumb enough to order something for himself. :)

I agree! He's a very nice guy!

At this point I feel anything he gets he has brought upon himself.

• Like 2