"Least good" opening track

len(songs)

This is a poll title  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is Rush's worst opening track?

• Finding My Way
    • Anthem
    • Bastille Day
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • The Spirit Of Radio
    • Tom Sawyer
    • Subdivisions
    • Distant Early Warning
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Show Don't Tell
    • Dreamline
    • Animate
    • Test For Echo
    • One Little Victory
    • Far Cry
    • Caravan

One Little Victory gets my vote.

I remember hearing it for the first time on the radio, before I had purchased the cd. Listening to it, I had very mixed emotions. I was elated that my favorite band had returned, but not too thrilled with the song itself.

I thought it lacked the strong melody and song structure that their previous opening tracks contained. Not to mention that the poor production gave the song a wall of distortion that almost blew out my car speakers.

Poor little OLV. I still like you! You're certainly better than that poopy Show Don't Tell and Test for Echo, and not overrated like Tom Sawyer.

Tom Sawyer gets so much negativity that I'm starting to think it's actually underrated. Yes it is overplayed but that is not the same as overrated. It's an amazing song and deserves and has earned it's iconic status. Many may tire of it (as I have sometimes) but that's no reason to slam it.

It's like complaing about hottest girl on the block getting all the attention but it doesn't change the fact that she's still the hottest girl on the block...

How hot is hot?

I don't know but hot is not synonymous with "best". Some of those hotties can be real ditzy superficial bitches...

Behind every beautiful woman is a man tired of dealing with her shit. :)

• Like 1

"least good"?? ..now there's a "glass half full" kinda guy!
  • Like 1

Far Cry

I remembered when I started discovering the band and thought it was a kickass track, but now years later and after hearing it live a couple of times...I still like it, it just that it doesn't quite cut it for me anymore especially when you consider songs like 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Bastille Day which were also opening tracks and unquestionably some of their best songs IMO. Not to mention, the song felt lackluster after every time I saw it live, which would've been three times since 2010.

Edited by PolarizeMe

As much as I hate Hemispheres, it really does make sense as an opener…so I chose Force Ten. Good song, just not as an opener. Actually, it's one of the weaker songs of the album. Lock and Key should have opened it. Or maybe Turn the Page.

As much as I hate Hemispheres, it really does make sense as an opener…so I chose Force Ten. Good song, just not as an opener. Actually, it's one of the weaker songs of the album. Lock and Key should have opened it. Or maybe Turn the Page.

HYF is perfect! Force Ten opens brilliantly.

I hate to say this, but as regards Hemispheres, I am so mixed towards it. The album sounded great last week but I just have no desire to play side one ever again. I have to change my vote.

In all honesty, Hemispheres is my least favourite album opener.

I hate to say this, but as regards Hemispheres, I am so mixed towards it. The album sounded great last week but I just have no desire to play side one ever again. I have to change my vote.

:blink:

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/Funny%20GIFS/cat_fail.gif

• Like 3

So:

1. Show Don't Tell

2. One Little Victory

3. Test For Echo

4. Animate

Show Don't Tell is a great way to open the album! Animate too, plus it's in my top 25 :rage:

Yeah, which is a great indication that it's not a very good song compared to others.

So:

1. Show Don't Tell

2. One Little Victory

3. Test For Echo

4. Animate

Show Don't Tell is a great way to open the album! Animate too, plus it's in my top 25 :rage:

Yeah, which is a great indication that it's not a very good song compared to others.

Don't get me wrong... I don't like Counterparts... but Animate is the best track on there.

Top five opening tracks (no order):

1. Distant Early Warning (I love this song, I feel it gets overlooked but its fantastic)

2. A Farewell To Kings (My favourite Rush album alongside HYF opens with this gorgeous track)

3. 2112 (one of the best songs ever recorded. Has to ve here)

4. Bastille Day (Just great. One of my favourite songs)

5. Caravan (beating Force Ten by a hair, this is just great. Sets the tone ans style of the album up perfectly! )

Bottom five:

1. Hemispheres (it is what it is...)

2. Anthem (Would have put this second, and opened with Fly By Night)

3. Dreamline (A great song, but I wish RTB opened with the title track)

4. Subdivisions (It always feels a little flat...great song but New World Man would have been a better choice)

5. Far Cry (its grown on me...SA deserves a second chance...)

• Like 1

Man i'm glad i didn't vote hemispheres......considering my awakening.

Mick

I would hate to go back and read all of my ignorant posts in the past regarding HYF, Presto and bits and pieces of the 90's stuff. :blush: At least I am still right about the year 2002 and beyond however......
  • Like 1

Man i'm glad i didn't vote hemispheres......considering my awakening.

Mick

I would hate to go back and read all of my ignorant posts in the past regarding HYF, Presto and bits and pieces of the 90's stuff. :blush: At least I am still right about the year 2002 and beyond however......

I know i shit all over the 90's in my rant but i do like certain songs. The 00's are pretty dreadful. Even the beloved CA. Snakes i like but weirdly agree with every criticism, lol VT no matter how many "convert" I will always hate.

Mick

• Like 1