2014-2015 Chicago Bears Thread

The Analog Cub

I liked Lovie, I think he is a cool guy and the team clearly played hard for him ... but he proved over and over that he could not get the offense moving, which is why he had to go.

I liked Lovie, I think he is a cool guy and the team clearly played hard for him ... but he proved over and over that he could not get the offense moving, which is why he had to go.

Which explains why they hired Trestman, a so-called "quarterback whisperer". Bullshit, probably whispering to Jay to throw as many pick-sixes as possible.

Trestman was the wrong choice for sure ... the Bears have never had so much talent across the skill positions (not really saying much at WR), they should be better and the coach has to take the hit for that

Roberto Garza signs one-year extension with Bears

On Friday afternoon, the organization announced a one-year contract extension for Garza, a move that positions the 35-year-old center to remain a key cog in the offensive line into 2015.

Roberto Garza signs one-year extension with Bears

On Friday afternoon, the organization announced a one-year contract extension for Garza, a move that positions the 35-year-old center to remain a key cog in the offensive line into 2015.

Link for reference:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4696684/bears-sign-c-roberto-garza-to-one-year-deal

I'm wary about keeping older guys like that especially on the O line which is part of the reason Cutler hasn't been able to make things happen (though certainly not the only thing)

I'm wondering what the defense is gonna look like after this is over. I bet Lance Briggs is done for good, but I'm not sure if we'll keep Tillman. We could use a veteran player for all the new guys even if he's prone to injury. Also unsure about Jared Allen and Willie Young, but I hope we keep Young.

I am a little mixed on Garza, he is old and has looked bad on occasion .. but realistically they can only replace so many players and given it is a 1 year contract (I assume structured to use up as much of whatever was left of the cap from this year and not a major hit if they cut him) it is probably not a bad deal.

Being a total masochist, I am actually watching this game. Forte set the record for most catches in 1 year by a RB with 102 ...

Looks like we lost, just as well. 7th draft pick, here we come.

If I had to pick an MVP for our shit team this season it definitely goes to Matt Forte. He wasn't fire out of the gate like Peterson, but he's on track to become possibly one of the best running backs in the league.

Trestman was too soft for the Bears. And crybaby Kromer as well. The Bears need a tough guy coach, or someone with balls at least.

At the beginning of the year, I saw him single-handedly zap momentum from his own team. In the second or third game of the season, they ran the ball down the field at will, and then once they got into the red zone, he called three pass plays in a row to knock the team out of field goal range. There is no better way to move the ball than rushing down the opponent's throat.
  • Like 1

Trestman was too soft for the Bears. And crybaby Kromer as well. The Bears need a tough guy coach, or someone with balls at least.

Someone more defensive minded, like Smith was. It seems that we're not going to get any breakthroughs with the offense as long as Cutler is quarterback, because we have a passable O line and great players in Jeffry, Marshall, and Bennett. Not to mention our high caliber running back Matt Forte. We need to take the pressure off the quarterback because he's too inconsistent to rely on making good plays, and put more focus back into the running game.

The defense is just a total mess and has been since Urlacher left, and now that Tillman and Briggs are essentially gone, there's nothing left in terms of leadership. That's why we need a head coach who isn't a pass-loving "quarterback whisperer", because the QB can't get it done. We need a defensive minded coach, because right now, that's what's killed us more than anything. The defense is a former shadow of itself, a Bear identity is its strong defense and the running game.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Looks like Ted Phillips role will be reduced as well/eliminated. Nothing official, but it is being reported. Looks like a total house cleaning.

Also good that they brought in Accorsi to lead the GM search

GM down, coach to go. Funny, I live in Flower Mound

http://wgntv.com/2015/01/08/chicago-bears-hire-ryan-pace-as-new-general-manager/

LAKE FOREST, Ill. — The Chicago Bears have reached an agreement with Ryan Pace Thursday to become the team’s sixth general manager in franchise history.

Pace joins the Bears after spending 14 seasons (2001-14) as a member of the Saints organization, including 13 in the player personnel department. He spent his last two seasons with the franchise as director of player personnel. In that role, Pace helped manage the team’s college and pro scouting operations including all facets of scouting and evaluation of college and pro prospects along with New Orleans’ roster.

The Flower Mound, Texas native got his start in New Orleans’ player personnel department as a scouting assistant in 2002, a role he held for two years before working as a pro scout from 2004-06. During that time he evaluated free agents and collegiate players entering the NFL Draft as well as scouted upcoming opponents. He joined the Saints in 2001 supporting the coordination of all game day, training camp and stadium operations.

Over Pace’s 13 seasons in the New Orleans personnel department (2002-14), the Saints compiled a 115-93 (.553) record. Since 2006, the Saints reached the playoffs five times, won three division titles, played in two NFC Championship games (2006 and 2009) and won the franchise’s first Super Bowl title (Super Bowl XLIV).

In 2008, he was selected by the club to attend the NFL’s Stanford Business School’s Executive Education Program for Managers. He was a part of the franchise in 2005 while the club dealt with immense adversity having to guide itself through several moves in base operations in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Pace played collegiately as a defensive end at Eastern Illinois (1995-99), serving as team captain as a senior, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in marketing.

Pace and his wife, Stephanie, have a daughter, Cardyn.

GM down, coach to go. Funny, I live in Flower Mound

http://wgntv.com/201...eneral-manager/

LAKE FOREST, Ill. — The Chicago Bears have reached an agreement with Ryan Pace Thursday to become the team’s sixth general manager in franchise history.

Pace joins the Bears after spending 14 seasons (2001-14) as a member of the Saints organization, including 13 in the player personnel department. He spent his last two seasons with the franchise as director of player personnel. In that role, Pace helped manage the team’s college and pro scouting operations including all facets of scouting and evaluation of college and pro prospects along with New Orleans’ roster.

The Flower Mound, Texas native got his start in New Orleans’ player personnel department as a scouting assistant in 2002, a role he held for two years before working as a pro scout from 2004-06. During that time he evaluated free agents and collegiate players entering the NFL Draft as well as scouted upcoming opponents. He joined the Saints in 2001 supporting the coordination of all game day, training camp and stadium operations.

Over Pace’s 13 seasons in the New Orleans personnel department (2002-14), the Saints compiled a 115-93 (.553) record. Since 2006, the Saints reached the playoffs five times, won three division titles, played in two NFC Championship games (2006 and 2009) and won the franchise’s first Super Bowl title (Super Bowl XLIV).

In 2008, he was selected by the club to attend the NFL’s Stanford Business School’s Executive Education Program for Managers. He was a part of the franchise in 2005 while the club dealt with immense adversity having to guide itself through several moves in base operations in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Pace played collegiately as a defensive end at Eastern Illinois (1995-99), serving as team captain as a senior, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in marketing.

Pace and his wife, Stephanie, have a daughter, Cardyn.

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

According to a Chicago Tribune Alert I was just emailed

Bears hire John Fox as new head coach

The Chicago Bears have their new head coach: John Fox. On Friday, the Bears and new general manager Ryan Pace closed the deal with Fox, bringing the soon-to-be 60-year-old on board to become the 15th head coach in franchise history.

I am happy with this I woul like to see, as rumored, Kyle Shanahan come over as OC. With ths staff, I would keep Cutler one more year, reign in the offense and spend picks and money on the defense.

What Dallas did on offense is a goodd model and Fox is the guy to do it

Fox brings his special teams guy from Denver with him: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jeff-rodgers-special-teams-coordinator-20150119-story.html

The Chicago Bears began building new coach John Fox's staff Monday, hiring Jeff Rodgers to be their

special teams coordinator.

Rodgers succeeds Joe DeCamillis, who filled the position for two years under former head coach Marc Trestman.

Rodgers served as Fox's special teams coordinator throughout their four­year stint with the Denver Broncos.

During that time, the Broncos ranked 10th in the NFL in gross punting average (45.6 yards per punt) and 11th in

net punting average (39.6 ypp). The Broncos' 24.5 kickoff return average ranked ninth in the NFL in that period.

Rodgers also worked under Fox for two seasons in Carolina, serving as a special teams assistant in 2009 before

being promoted to special teams coordinator in 2010.

Rodgers previously was the special teams coordinator for Kansas State in 2008. A native of St. Paul, Minn.,

Rodgers played linebacker at North Texas.

I watched his press conference, more and more I am liking this hire and more and more I think Cutler gets one more season and they spend their picks/resources on the defense.

Fox brings his special teams guy from Denver with him: http://www.chicagotr...0119-story.html

The Chicago Bears began building new coach John Fox's staff Monday, hiring Jeff Rodgers to be their

special teams coordinator.

Rodgers succeeds Joe DeCamillis, who filled the position for two years under former head coach Marc Trestman.

Rodgers served as Fox's special teams coordinator throughout their four­year stint with the Denver Broncos.

During that time, the Broncos ranked 10th in the NFL in gross punting average (45.6 yards per punt) and 11th in

net punting average (39.6 ypp). The Broncos' 24.5 kickoff return average ranked ninth in the NFL in that period.

Rodgers also worked under Fox for two seasons in Carolina, serving as a special teams assistant in 2009 before

being promoted to special teams coordinator in 2010.

Rodgers previously was the special teams coordinator for Kansas State in 2008. A native of St. Paul, Minn.,

Rodgers played linebacker at North Texas.

Does this division really need another Rodgers?

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/db2f5e1fb56577e7ee651a5ef700a860601b3cca/c=0-28-640-389&r=x1803&c=3200x1800/local/-/media/GreenBay/2014/08/27/wriggles.jpg