2014-2015 Chicago Bears Thread

The Analog Cub

Trestman needs to go ... he might be a good OC, but the Bears need to hire someone with a track record this time around

Need a new head coach, need a new QB that actually gives a shit and doesn't throw as many picks as Brady and Rodgers throw touchdowns combined, and a defense that doesn't give away 50-burgers.

At least we're not as bad as the Raiders...

Trestman needs to go ... he might be a good OC, but the Bears need to hire someone with a track record this time around

Need a new head coach, need a new QB that actually gives a shit and doesn't throw as many picks as Brady and Rodgers throw touchdowns combined, and a defense that doesn't give away 50-burgers.

Probably not, but since the Raiders appear to still care, they'd probably win if you played this week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/16/very-angry-chicago-bears-fan-christmas-video_n_6334492.html

On Sunday, just prior to the Bears' loss Monday -- their third in a row and their ninth of the season -- Guay uploaded to YouTube this Christmas carol collection parody, titled "A Very Angry Bears Fan Christmas."

The compendium includes such gems as "Cutler the Would-Be QB," a riff on "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," and an ode to wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (not "Jeffries") sung to the tune of "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

But perhaps the highlight is the refrain from Guay's "Deck the Halls" cover, which explains that these tongue-in-cheek carols are a means for Guay to "save his mind":

Keep this up and we'll draft second,

Fail fail fail fail fail, fail fail fail fail.

Every game we watch the wreckage,

As fans, we wear our Bears apparel,

To save my mind I sing these carols,

Anyone see these carols? Man, too bad this guy can't sing....

Maybe a strong head coach could help with Cutler. You just have so much damn money in him to let him go for nothing. And because of his salary, he'd be really hard to trade. And if you traded him, how much could you get in return? If I was the GM, I would have a fire sale and deal them all for a shit load of draft picks. Start from the bottom and work all of the way up. You could get a boat load of picks from your offensive skill players.

WOW. Jimmy Clausen to start this week...

e Chicago Bears have benched quarterback Jay Cutler and plan to start Jimmy Clausen against the Detroit Lions on Sunday, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed Wednesday evening. ESPN first reported the news.

The move, which comes in the death throes of a season in ruins, is a seismic shift for an organization that has exalted Cutler as its franchise quarterback.

In January, general manager Phil Emery signed Cutler to a new seven-year, $126.7 million that includes $54 million guaranteed.

Cutler, however, leads the NFL with 24 turnovers. His inconsistency is a big reason why the Bears are 5-9 and their offense failed to match expectations despite returning all 11 starters from a unit that ranked third in the NFL in yards per play during coach Marc Trestman’s debut campaign in 2013.

Trestman for weeks has defended Cutler’s status as the starting quarterback. However, he did not directly address the issue during his Wednesday press conference when he was asked about ESPN analyst Jon Gruden’s assertion that Cutler should be benched.

“Jon certainly has a right to his opinion, and each and every week we go through our evaluations all the way around, and as I said, Jon's got a right to his opinion,” Trestman said.

The embattled coach did say, though, that it’s “evident” he hasn’t gotten the best out of Cutler.

“Am I working at it? Yes,” Trestman said. “We’ve seen moments, but we haven’t done it on a consistent basis. I can’t hide from that. I haven’t been able, and we haven’t been able to do the things that we want to get done. We’re working towards that.

“But the answer to that is obvious. I’m trying to give you the most truthful answer, and that is we’ve seen moments of it, but it’s not where we need to go. It’s not where we need to be. But it’s not all about Jay. It’s about our entire offense, working together to get it done.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-bench-jay-cutler-20141217-story.html

Holy shit!

Well. At this point it can't hurt to try!

Cutler, while a huge problem with the reason the Bears are utter shit this season, isn't the only problem. This still won't solve the defense...

Holy shit!

Cutler, while a huge problem with the reason the Bears are utter shit this season, isn't the only problem. This still won't solve the defense...

Have you seen Jimmy Clausen play? The stats MAY do him justice but IMO he's actually worse than this.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmyclausen/497108/profile

Holy shit!

Have you seen Jimmy Clausen play? The stats MAY do him justice but IMO he's actually worse than this.

http://www.nfl.com/p.../497108/profile

I have heard of him but never watched him play. I knew he was on Carolina but figured one of the main reasons he was regarded as shit was because he was on a very shitty team.

Holy shit!

I have heard of him but never watched him play. I knew he was on Carolina but figured one of the main reasons he was regarded as shit was because he was on a very shitty team.

He took a shitty team and made them worse. He has no chance of success.

The Bears should be 2 TD underdogs starting him; it will be interesting to see what happens with the line.

Holy shit!

The Bears should be 2 TD underdogs starting him; it will be interesting to see what happens with the line.

I'll give him a chance, maybe his time in the NFL since has whipped him into better shape.

Hell, at this point I'm prepared to give anything a chance after dealing with wonderboy who doesn't know what team he's on.

Holy shit!

I'll give him a chance, maybe his time in the NFL since has whipped him into better shape.

Hell, at this point I'm prepared to give anything a chance after dealing with wonderboy who doesn't know what team he's on.

Try the single wing with Forte running it. It has a greater chance of success.

Holy shit!

Forte was the only one there to play against New Orleans on Monday.

Holy shit!

Chris Conte is saying...I'm taking 15 years off my life for this??? :wtf:

The Cutler benching might be step 1 to get him out of town. From what I read his contract becomes more expensive if he gets hurt ($10mil buyout), so they may be benching him to keep him healthy and make it easier to dump him in the off season. They also signed Fales off the practice squad, wonder if he might see the field next week.

Holy shit!

Chris Conte is saying...I'm taking 15 years off my life for this??? :wtf:

What Conte says makes sense, football may take years off your life, but he enjoys it (and the money/lifestyle that comes with it) and it is worth it to him. People do that all the time, I could cut back/eliminate some stuff I eat and add years, but the trade off is worth it.

I think it actually shows Conte is pretty smart in knowing the tradeoff and saying he is cool with it.

• Like 1

What Conte says makes sense, football may take years off your life, but he enjoys it (and the money/lifestyle that comes with it) and it is worth it to him. People do that all the time, I could cut back/eliminate some stuff I eat and add years, but the trade off is worth it.

I think it actually shows Conte is pretty smart in knowing the tradeoff and saying he is cool with it.

People should never forget that these football players are grown men. If they want to risk their long-term health to play pro football and make Big Money, then who are we to babysit them and tell them that they shouldn't?

• Like 2

I did go to the game this past Sunday, they shockingly played pretty well. It makes you wonder why the defense has not played more man to man this year when the corners are a strength of the team. Clausen looked good too, unfortunate that he got hurt. I would not want to see him starting, but he would be good to keep as a backup.

The off season should be interesting.

I did go to the game this past Sunday, they shockingly played pretty well. It makes you wonder why the defense has not played more man to man this year when the corners are a strength of the team. Clausen looked good too, unfortunate that he got hurt. I would not want to see him starting, but he would be good to keep as a backup.

Depending on how much house they clean in the offseason, I wonder if they'll hold onto Clausen.

I think we can say goodbye to Trestman for sure, maybe Kromer and maybe Emery. I think it's still in the air if they decide to ditch Cutler.

Depending on how much house they clean in the offseason, I wonder if they'll hold onto Clausen.

I think we can say goodbye to Trestman for sure, maybe Kromer and maybe Emery. I think it's still in the air if they decide to ditch Cutler.

What's the cap hit if they cut him?

I assume you're talking about Cutler.

Looks like around $4 million, plus the guaranteed ~$15 million.

http://overthecap.com/jay-cutler-benched/

More hate towards Trestman, now Robbie Gould had stuff to say it seems.

With a season like this I wish they had kept Lovie Smith.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/23/baffoe-the-spite-in-and-for-lame-duck-marc-trestman/

I assume you're talking about Cutler.

Looks like around $4 million, plus the guaranteed ~$15 million.

http://overthecap.co...cutler-benched/

Yep I was referring to Cutler...thanks!

Well, I don't despise the Bears as they aren't division rivals. The league is much more fun when they are good. I feel the same about the Raiders. I don't see any other course of action other than firing the coach and GM, cutting Cutler (and absorb the cap hit), trade high quality skill position players, and then acquire a ton of draft picks.

If you get lucky, Jimmy Johnson may take one more run at it. He probably won't. So, to me, the perfect fit for that city is Bill Cowher.

Trestman needs to go, I think Lovie needed to go to, they just picked the wrong replacement for him. They need to decide on Cutler real quick, there is a 3 day window once the new league year starts that they need to cut or trade him .. otherwise some roster bonus kicks in

I imagine they will try to bring Clausen back no matter what happens with Cutler, unless he asks for some insane amount of money.

Trestman needs to go, I think Lovie needed to go to, they just picked the wrong replacement for him. They need to decide on Cutler real quick, there is a 3 day window once the new league year starts that they need to cut or trade him .. otherwise some roster bonus kicks in

I imagine they will try to bring Clausen back no matter what happens with Cutler, unless he asks for some insane amount of money.

When faced with things going badly, Lovie Smith just stood on the sideline, expressionless and mute. Da Bears' current head coach pretty much does the same thing. Just my opinion, but perhaps da Bears need a head coach who will show some fire and passion on the sidelines. Trestman looks like he would be better off in some office, doing paperwork or something. Da Bears have good players, but it seems to me that they're not getting the inspiration that they need.