Would Geddy Lee be as cool and loved if he was more like...

KennyLee

say Gene Simmons? Not his playing or vocals but his "off the stage" antics, arrogance and money grubbing nature.

We all know how talented he is but don't we all love him just as much because he's that nice Jewish boy from Toronto? He is so modest and down to earth.

How differently would we feel about him if he was just not that nice of a guy?

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 4

Let me put it this way: I couldn't care less for Kiss and Gene Simmons, so I'm gonna stick with a nice modest jew from Toronto ;)

Nice guys always win in the end.

I totally agree but how would it affect your view of Geddy if he were like Gene in his personal life and his business sense.

A Rush coffin would kind of irk me I think.

• Like 1

A long time ago on this forum I said that if the men of Rush were anything other than who they are, I wouldn't love their music as much as I do. The reason why I even love their music more today than I ever did is because I've gotten to know them (as much as a fan can) better by listening to and watching countless interviews/documentaries.

If Geddy was like Gene Simmons, forget it.

I've wondered, and would like to ask them, how they have managed to stay kind in the cut-throat business they are in. Eyes don't lie. Geddy has the most kind and gentle eyes I've ever seen on a man. Somehow he, and Alex, have managed to avoid getting hard and bitter. How they managed that is a mystery to me. The business has not been kind to them.

• Like 8

A long time ago on this forum I said that if the men of Rush were anything other than who they are, I wouldn't love their music as much as I do. The reason why I even love their music more today than I ever did is because I've gotten to know them (as much as a fan can) better by listening to and watching countless interviews/documentaries.

I've wondered, and would like to ask them, how they have managed to stay kind in the cut-throat business they are in. Eyes don't lie. Geddy has the most kind and gentle eyes I've ever seen on a man. Somehow he, and Alex, have managed to avoid getting hard and bitter. How they managed that is a mystery to me. The business has not been kind to them.

You're saying what my heart is feeling. While I would totally respect the music the band wouldn't be as special to me.

Love you, Lorraine! :wub:

• Like 2

I would definitely think less of him. I'm happy that he's not a squeaky-clean church (temple) boy, but I'm also quite happy that pretty much the worst thing he can be accused of is smoking pot and the occasional swear word.
  • Like 5

This may sound like a tired theory, but having a good and solid upbringing does make a difference. Money, fame, drugs, fake friends, and loose women can never take the place of growing up with a strong support system. Geddy is a guy whose parents learned just how important life is through an indelible experience, and they were clearly smart enough not to waste the time they still had. And that mom of his... I mean, seriously, do you think Geddy could face her after being like Gene Simmons? She would have put a stop to the whole band with her bare hands!
  • Like 7

I would definitely think less of him. I'm happy that he's not a squeaky-clean church (temple) boy, but I'm also quite happy that pretty much the worst thing he can be accused of is smoking pot and the occasional swear word.

And thank god he did smoke pot. If not for Rush being major stoners back in the day, we would not have been given such great songs like Xanadu haha
  • Like 5

Let me put it this way: I couldn't care less for Kiss and Gene Simmons, so I'm gonna stick with a nice modest jew from Toronto ;)

Nice guys always win in the end.

I totally agree but how would it affect your view of Geddy if he were like Gene in his personal life and his business sense.

A Rush coffin would kind of irk me I think.

I would lose sympathy with Geddy and thus probably not give Rush many chances in their musical endeavor. I think a big reason why so many fans has stuck with them is not only because of the great music but the great men behind it.

• Like 4

This may sound like a tired theory, but having a good and solid upbringing does make a difference. Money, fame, drugs, fake friends, and loose women can never take the place of growing up with a strong support system. Geddy is a guy whose parents learned just how important life is through an indelible experience, and they were clearly smart enough not to waste the time they still had. And that mom of his... I mean, seriously, do you think Geddy could face her after being like Gene Simmons? She would have put a stop to the whole band with her bare hands!

There's nothing like a good Jewish mother! :LOL: If I remember correctly, Geddy promised her he would never do anything to cause her shame or embarrassment. Obviously he is a man of his word. He still brings her along to his baseball games, and she has to be close to ninety by now!

• Like 5

Well put :)

• Like 5

There's nothing like a good Jewish mother! :LOL: If I remember correctly, Geddy promised her he would never do anything to cause her shame or embarrassment. Obviously he is a man of his word. He still brings her along to his baseball games, and she has to be close to ninety by now!

She's probably staying alive just to keep an eye on that boy. These rock stars can get into a lot of trouble, you know. :tsk:

• Like 5

I agree with everything said. Although it is probably cart before the horse. I'm sure their music is so wonderful and heartfelt because of who they are. Their good souls created good music.

I guess that is why I hate Kiss's music, too. :huh:

• Like 5

The cool thing about back in the day was I barely even knew they were Canadian. The thought of them or any of the bands I loved being good, bad people, their religious affiliations etc. never crossed my mind. It was all about the music for me. It just worked out that I loved Rush and couldn't stand Kiss either way....... :)
  • Like 6

I don't think I would love him as much if he was arrogant and stuck up. He's perfect the way he is and I'm very glad that he's modest.
  • Like 3

The cool thing about back in the day was I barely even knew they were Canadian. The thought of them or any of the bands I loved being good, bad people, their religious affiliations etc. never crossed my mind. It was all about the music for me. It just worked out that I loved Rush and couldn't stand Kiss either way....... :)

I definitely didn't know at first. Until B-man's book Visions came out, I didn't have a clue and I was a total Rush nut. Reading that book definitely brought me closer.

• Like 1

Isn't Gene Simmons a nice Jewish boy from NY? Seems like a decent enough guy to me, but then I haven't followed them since Destroyer (actually I bought Rock n Roll Over; it did for KISS what Power Windows did for Rush at the time; I moved on). I think he and Geddy are buds, too.

I somehow knew they were Canadian and I thought that was really cool because my mom and half my family is Canadian. I knew almost nothing else about them until a handful of years ago when I decided to read up on Wikipedia.

I've never liked Kiss' music, and knowing what I now know about them as people I have even less reason to want to listen to them.

• Like 3

Isn't Gene Simmons a nice Jewish boy from NY? Seems like a decent enough guy to me, but then I haven't followed them since Destroyer (actually I bought Rock n Roll Over; it did for KISS what Power Windows did for Rush at the time; I moved on). I think he and Geddy are buds, too.

I think Geddy and him are friends but Gene is nothing like Geddy.

Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people. He peddles all his Kiss crap and bleeds his fans. He also thinks he's way more talented than he is. He treats music like just a paycheck. Nothing artistic at all in it for him. Just a jerk in my opinion.

• Like 2

"Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people"

Not defending him as I really know nothing about him outside of his stage persona except that he dated Cher for awhile and had (has?) a tv show (which I never watched). That said, the quote above looks like something one would say tongue-in-cheek (no pun intended concerning Gene) to someone who sort of puritanically accuses you of being rich while other's suffer; you say something like that just to piss them off or get under their skin, not because you really think that. I always get into trouble with an uptight Leftist acquaintance of mine because he can't hear anything without thinking that it expresses someone's deepest-held convictions. It's nearly impossible to joke around with the guy.

"Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people"

Not defending him as I really know nothing about him outside of his stage persona except that he dated Cher for awhile and had (has?) a tv show (which I never watched). That said, the quote above looks like something one would say tongue-in-cheek (no pun intended concerning Gene) to someone who sort of puritanically accuses you of being rich while other's suffer; you say something like that just to piss them off or get under their skin, not because you really think that. I always get into trouble with an uptight Leftist acquaintance of mine because he can't hear anything without thinking that it expresses someone's deepest-held convictions. It's nearly impossible to joke around with the guy.

To be fair, Gene Simmons isn't known for being very serious about anything. And he does have a sick sense of humor, which is something I admire in anyone. Unfortunately, some rock stars become so drug-damaged and psychotic that their narcissism becomes a public hazard whenever they're in town. So far, the worst I've seen with Simmons is that he's arrogant and sleeps around a lot. Big anomaly there.

• Like 1

To be fair, Gene Simmons isn't known for being very serious about anything. And he does have a sick sense of humor, which is something I admire in anyone. Unfortunately, some rock stars become so drug-damaged and psychotic that their narcissism becomes a public hazard whenever they're in town. So far, the worst I've seen with Simmons is that he's arrogant and sleeps around a lot. Big anomaly there.

Who would want him anymore (not that he was someone who ever appealed to me enough to even think that way about him)? I doubt if he is anything to write home about these days in the sack.

Never trust a man who won't take off his sunglasses. :cool:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1