Losing It - Meaning of the Lyrics

tx_rush

I am sure at some point this topic was discussed. Any insight to the lyrics? The second verse is maybe about Earnest Hemmingway?

Any thoughts?

I can hear the emotion in Geddy's voice during the verses as he clearly was dealing with the issue at the time of losing his ability to hit those beautiful piercing stratospheric emotion-filled unbelievably powerful belting wide-vibrato super high notes that the Rush "sound" was built upon for so many years.

Geddy could still technically sing high at that point, but he made the conscious decision NOT to on new material a few years earlier, for when he DID hit those high notes of yesteryear, they were merely a weaker shadow of their former selves without the power, presence, projection, control, and intensity of old...and he clearly knew it. He started struggling every now and then in the mid-70's on the 2112 tour when he audibly started having difficulty attempting to slam those high notes that were so effortlessly easy just a year or so earlier; Permanent Waves was a clear attempt to NOT sing high anymore following his inability to perform to his old ability on the Hemispheres tour; however, it must be noted that the Hemispheres tour setlist was nearly IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to sing day in and out, with "Cygnus X-1," the full "Hemispheres," and the nearly full "2112" back to back with nearly no dates off. But, the reality in listening to boots of those shows was that Geddy was CLEARLY "losing it" and I'm sure it was an emotional struggle for him at first. I can hear that turmoil in his vocals on this amazing song, one of the best from Signals.

• Like 6

"the dancer is no one in particular" -Peart

the song is about losing something you once had apparently due to age.

I like the Geddy comparison though lol. nice one spaghetti!

I can hear the emotion in Geddy's voice during the verses as he clearly was dealing with the issue at the time of losing his ability to hit those beautiful piercing stratospheric emotion-filled unbelievably powerful belting wide-vibrato super high notes that the Rush "sound" was built upon for so many years.

Geddy could still technically sing high at that point, but he made the conscious decision NOT to on new material a few years earlier, for when he DID hit those high notes of yesteryear, they were merely a weaker shadow of their former selves without the power, presence, projection, control, and intensity of old...and he clearly knew it. He started struggling every now and then in the mid-70's on the 2112 tour when he audibly started having difficulty attempting to slam those high notes that were so effortlessly easy just a year or so earlier; Permanent Waves was a clear attempt to NOT sing high anymore following his inability to perform to his old ability on the Hemispheres tour; however, it must be noted that the Hemispheres tour setlist was nearly IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to sing day in and out, with "Cygnus X-1," the full "Hemispheres," and the nearly full "2112" back to back with nearly no dates off. But, the reality in listening to boots of those shows was that Geddy was CLEARLY "losing it" and I'm sure it was an emotional struggle for him at first. I can hear that turmoil in his vocals on this amazing song, one of the best from Signals.

No to the above.

And yes about Hemmingway.

It's about, well, losing it. Whether through injury or age, we all become less able to do the things we love and have spent our lives doing. Excellent point by SL. This song was written just after the peak of the bands physical abilities and just when they changed accordingly.

One day everyone will understand Losing It.

It is not like it is something you can help either. It just happens. And there is nothing you can do about it. You can't stop it.

Here's to all of us who are losing it! :codger: :cheers:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

It is not like it is something you can help either. It just happens. And there is nothing you can do about it. You can't stop it.

I was gonna say something about this, but I forgot what it was...

• Like 1

Normally I would laugh at your joke, but the fact that I can no longer rely on my memory is kind of sad.

• Like 1

Cheers, Lorraine. :cheers:

• Like 1

I am sure at some point this topic was discussed. Any insight to the lyrics? The second verse is maybe about Earnest Hemmingway?

Any thoughts?

I always thought Neil was talking about himself in that verse. Not that he had lost anything lyrically yet but he had the vision and foresight to know that ideas would not last forever. That one day he would be staring at a blank sheet of paper and he would have no idea how to fill it.

Great... now I'm sad.

Edited by KennyLee

Never to have known it is pretty goddamned sad, too, I expect. Those who once had it at least can leave a legacy, be immortalized in a way.

Never to have known it is pretty goddamned sad, too, I expect. Those who once had it at least can leave a legacy, be immortalized in a way.

That is very true. When I was a young KennyLee I always thought this song sounded a bit whiney. Well... at least you had something. Don't be sad it's over, be happy because it happened.

Now that I'm a little older I think I can relate a little better.

I'm gonna go ice my knees now. :outtahere:

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

Normally I would laugh at your joke, but the fact that I can no longer rely on my memory is kind of sad.

Yeah,

And not being able to cross streams with no problem like I used to. That's one of the hardest things to accept. It's funny how we take things for granted.

I am losing it for sure when it comes to that. :codger: :madra:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

The saddest for me is that the cells are ticking away for Rush too.

Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete

I'm getting depressed . . .