Hey... what's up?

Necromancer

Good for you! Photography is a hard way to make a living. So many people buy a camera, set it on "automatic", start a Facebook page and say "I'm a pro". It has really affected the photography industry. People just don't value professional photography the way they used to. I guess I am lucky. 100% of my income has come from photography for about 15 years now. Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks, no, i took the slow route. I started with inexpensive compacts, moved up to an intro dslr and LEARNED photography. No apps or cell phone trickery. And I didn't even make a facebook page for my stuff until things had began selling. When I upgraded to professional gear, I made videography an addition to what I offer. Seemed a shame not to use the video capability that the Canon 5DMkIII has to offer, y'know? I've seen exactly what you were talking about by many people out there who bought a camera so thought they were a photographer and jumped right into "business". I've even seen some of them do kinda well at it, despite their obvious lack of skills. THAT has consistently blown my mind. LOL

Always learning. Can't call yourself a photographer if you think you know it all. I don't see that as possible. The craft is so open to so many different ways of exp<b></b>ression, that you just can't possibly know everything. It's a great journey, and I'm glad that what started as a hobby, which was really fostered a bunch of years ago in THIS forum, has turned into possibly my final career.

Good for you! Photography is a hard way to make a living. So many people buy a camera, set it on "automatic", start a Facebook page and say "I'm a pro". It has really affected the photography industry. People just don't value professional photography the way they used to. I guess I am lucky. 100% of my income has come from photography for about 15 years now. Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks, no, i took the slow route. I started with inexpensive compacts, moved up to an intro dslr and LEARNED photography. No apps or cell phone trickery. And I didn't even make a facebook page for my stuff until things had began selling. When I upgraded to professional gear, I made videography an addition to what I offer. Seemed a shame not to use the video capability that the Canon 5DMkIII has to offer, y'know? I've seen exactly what you were talking about by many people out there who bought a camera so thought they were a photographer and jumped right into "business". I've even seen some of them do kinda well at it, despite their obvious lack of skills. THAT has consistently blown my mind. LOL

Always learning. Can't call yourself a photographer if you think you know it all. I don't see that as possible. The craft is so open to so many different ways of exp<b></b>ression, that you just can't possibly know everything. It's a great journey, and I'm glad that what started as a hobby, which was really fostered a bunch of years ago in THIS forum, has turned into possibly my final career.

The 5D MKIII is a really nice body. I use 1 series bodies most of the time. I do have a 5D Classic that I still use for for portrait work. It just has a quality that I can't explain. I guess it's the big pixels on the full frame sensor. It just produces beautiful images.

Your right about always learning. I have been shooting rodeo for about 10 years. It keeps me very busy almost every weekend all over the southeast. Even after 10 years of learning the sport and what the contestants like, it seems that I find new ways to shoot all the time. I really think that continuous improvement is why I'm still in business.

Keep it up! Good luck!

• Like 2

I'm noticing the board is actually SLOW. I thought it was my computer, though i highly doubted it, but i installed google chrome anyway, just to see if that was the case, as well as did some computer maintenance. I don't have the best internet up where I live right now, but TRF is moving like a half dead turtle, compared to other sites that I am running fine on. Maybe that's why?

I check in every now and then, but as you said... not a lot of the old timers are here, and I'm just not seeing the same thing that made the place as special as it was when we were all here. And believe me, I hate saying that, cuz there were older timers than me that used to say the same thing about me and my contemporary members here. Now I guess i get it... but we PROVED our point and made things pretty fun around here. I'll keep looking and see if any of that's going on anymore. I do miss it, especially since a few friends refused to accept that facebook is pretty awesome. LOL

We're (hopefully) fixing the slowness thing real soon. We're moving to a new hosting service within the next week or two. We're not blown away with the current one for what they're charging us.

• Like 4

Necro, have you spoken with Vincent lately. How is he doing?

Vincent's been a lazy prick lately. LOL There has been rumor of his return, but in a non-rush capacity.

Actually... in all seriousness, I've just been too busy with the band stuff that I do now. I'm not only doing the photography and video for many bands in my area, but covering national acts for the magazine i work for, as well as constantly promoting our local music scene and even managing bands and doing show promotions. Just booked a huge show for our area with some out of town as well as local bands. I don't know how the hell it's grown to this level of busy, but i'm not complaining. :D

I just started looking at old Vincent stuff though, and there's just SO much I could do with him. Maybe soon. ;)

• Like 2

So I thought I'd check in. :D For those of you who care, and haven't been following on facebook, here's what me and Ceej have been up to. Last year, we retired, bought an RV with plans to travel the country and make a living off our photography. Well, the travel part got kicked in the ass because of some pretty bad health issues on my part, and other family issues, but the photography/video business is going pretty decent finally. We're sustaining our lives with it anyway, and it's growing everyday. We've branched out a LOT. Not just doing nature stuff, even though THAT is still the passion. We really broke out into band and music photography and video. Seems to be the majority of the work, along with portraiture and wedding stuff as well. The music part has morphed into being band management as well as promotions. We're really loving it and are swamped right now with all the work. Hopefully the lucrativeity of it will follow as our name gets bigger, but right now, it's not horrible. Hopefully I'll have some time to keep checking in and catching up with all my old friends and enemies. LOL I have missed you all, but it's just so hard to do everything online there is to do. I spend so much of that online time on FB and twitter now, promoting either my own work, or the bands I work with. I will surely give myself and them some shameless plugs along the way here as well. LOL I don't think you'll mind, as I'm working with some AMAZING bands. :D Take care.

Way to go GUYS!!!!!!

• Like 2

I'm noticing the board is actually SLOW. I thought it was my computer, though i highly doubted it, but i installed google chrome anyway, just to see if that was the case, as well as did some computer maintenance. I don't have the best internet up where I live right now, but TRF is moving like a half dead turtle, compared to other sites that I am running fine on. Maybe that's why?

I check in every now and then, but as you said... not a lot of the old timers are here, and I'm just not seeing the same thing that made the place as special as it was when we were all here. And believe me, I hate saying that, cuz there were older timers than me that used to say the same thing about me and my contemporary members here. Now I guess i get it... but we PROVED our point and made things pretty fun around here. I'll keep looking and see if any of that's going on anymore. I do miss it, especially since a few friends refused to accept that facebook is pretty awesome. LOL

We're (hopefully) fixing the slowness thing real soon. We're moving to a new hosting service within the next week or two. We're not blown away with the current one for what they're charging us.

I dont know, seems one can spam awfully quickly :)