UCR Article, re: John Rutsey and Rush

Powderfinger

Good article. I think it highlights how crucial Rutsey was to the early stages of Rush, and how the band wouldn't have gone anywhere if he stayed.

After reading this article, it doesnt seem there is really any new information or insight. I feel like I could have written a similar article, and I probably know less about Rush history than the majority of people in TRF
  • Like 1

Nice article. Thanks, Powderfinger. :)

I don't know that I agree with the common wisdom that Rush wouldn't have gone anywhere if not for Neil. The debut showed that they could write well-crafted, hook-laden songs from the beginning, and I don't know why they would have stopped. Look at Fly by Night; great album for its time (still very good), but not because of Neil's contribution particularly. For my tastes, In the End is the best track and that was Alex's (as I recall). After FBN it's hard to say what they might have been without Neil. They would have been a less "serious" band no doubt, but still great. I think "Lessons" gives a good glimpse of how they might have evolved. I'm glad they took the route they did, but I expect I would have liked them the other way as well. Still, I I don't doubt that adding Neil to the mix resulted in a one of a kind history-making band that wouldn't have been otherwise.
  • Like 2

Why don't they just let the guy rest in peace?

I think he is. they're just remembering him un less I missed something?

I think Rush would have at least enjoyed a respectable career as a middling rock band. Alex and Geddy still would have evolved into the recognized, outstanding musicians that they became. Although, Neil's expert playing has perhaps pushed them slightly further than they necessarily would have progressed with Rutsey occupying the drummer's throne. For my money, Neil's lyrics and drumming facilitated a future as an iconic rock band, but they likely would have done well without him.

Then again, 2112 secured their future in the business, and that wouldn't have occurred without Neil's involvement. But at the same time, their career was in jeopardy because of Caress of Steel, which of course is a product of Neil's involvement.

I think most of us make the mistake of simply judging Rutsey's talents according to the debut album. But Geddy and Alex subsequently improved as musicians. Why don't we grant Rutsey the same potential? Geddy and Alex weren't exactly the same guys who would eventually produce albums as sophisticated as Hemispheres or Moving Pictures. Perhaps John would have grown alongside them.

Okay, I'm just spinning my wheels here... I suppose in the early 70s, Cream/The Who/Zeppelin-inspired rock bands were a dime a dozen. History simply doesn't preserve much in the way of pale imitations, thus producing nostalgia. How can we know if Rush would have been a mere also-ran, or evolved into a revered rock trio? Whatever the answer, it doesn't entirely depend on John Rutsey.

• Like 1