New MASSIVE insect discovered in China...

treeduck

The stuff of nightmares! New species of insect discovered in China - and it has a wingspan of more than EIGHT INCHES

The largest aquatic insect in the world has been found in Chengdu, China

It is of the order Megaloptera and has a wingspan of 8.3 inches (21 cm)

This is larger than the previous record, which stood at 7.5 inches (19 cm)

The giant insect has huge mandibles that it uses during mating

Can be found near wet environments such as lakes but lives just a few days

A newly discovered member of the Megaloptera family has been found that could be the largest aquatic insect in the world.

It was found on a mountain in Chengdu, Sichuan province in China.

The mysterious specimen of which little is known has a wingspan of 8.3 inches (21 centimetres).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8FB400000578-551_634x497.jpg

The family of Megaloptera includes about 300 species of fishflies, dobsonflies and alderflies.

The name Megaloptera describes that insects have large (megal) wings (ptera) compared to their bodies

This insect, of the order Megaloptera, has a wingspan of a whopping 8.3 inches (21 centimeters), making it the largest aquatic insect in the world

+3

This insect, of the order Megaloptera, has a wingspan of a whopping 8.3 inches (21 centimeters), making it the largest aquatic insect in the world

And this latest find is no exception, dwarfing other such insects of the order.

According to Scientific American members of the Megaloptera family are not well known.

When they are larvae they spend a lot of time out of sight in the water, only leaving when they pupate and they become adults.

They can be found in or near a variety of wet environments including ponds, lakes and swamps.

The huge mandibles at the front of the insect, meanwhile, are not used for eating but rather to attract females and hold them in place during mating.

The species is also known for its ferocious bite, which can break human skin.

Megaloptera insects typically live for only a few days as adults, so many will spend there few days of adulthood mating, producing new larvae to grow underwater.

With a wingspan 8.3 inches (21 centimetres), this species breaks the previous record holder for largest aquatic insect, the South American helicopter damselfly, which has a wingspan of 7.5 inches (19 centimetres).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8FE800000578-948_306x438.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8F9400000578-334_634x437.jpg

The huge mandibles at the front of the insect, shown, are not used for eating but rather to attract females and hold them in place during mating. The females of the species are also known for their ferocious bite, which can break human skin. Megaloptera insects typically live for only a few days as adults.

The stuff of nightmares! New species of insect discovered in China - and it has a wingspan of more than EIGHT INCHES

A newly discovered member of the Megaloptera family has been found that could be the largest aquatic insect in the world.

The mysterious specimen of which little is known has a wingspan of 8.3 inches (21 centimetres).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8FB400000578-551_634x497.jpg

The family of Megaloptera includes about 300 species of fishflies, dobsonflies and alderflies.

The name Megaloptera describes that insects have large (megal) wings (ptera) compared to their bodies

+3

According to Scientific American members of the Megaloptera family are not well known.

When they are larvae they spend a lot of time out of sight in the water, only leaving when they pupate and they become adults.

They can be found in or near a variety of wet environments including ponds, lakes and swamps.

The huge mandibles at the front of the insect, meanwhile, are not used for eating but rather to attract females and hold them in place during mating.

Megaloptera insects typically live for only a few days as adults, so many will spend there few days of adulthood mating, producing new larvae to grow underwater.

With a wingspan 8.3 inches (21 centimetres), this species breaks the previous record holder for largest aquatic insect, the South American helicopter damselfly, which has a wingspan of 7.5 inches (19 centimetres).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8FE800000578-948_306x438.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2704111-1FEE8F9400000578-334_634x437.jpg

The huge mandibles at the front of the insect, shown, are not used for eating but rather to attract females and hold them in place during mating. The females of the species are also known for their ferocious bite, which can break human skin. Megaloptera insects typically live for only a few days as adults.

See,

The Mayfly is an angel compared to this!! :LOL:

+3

See,

Some Chinese women use it as a sex toy! :smoke:

• Like 1

+3

See,

That is some painful pleasure! :LOL:

+3

See,

They LOVE it! :o :eh: :clap: :smoke: :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

+3

See,

No pain, No gain! :P

+3

See,

No pain, No gain! :P

Aye! :cosmo:

• Like 1

I'd sure hate to have that crawling up my arm in the middle of the night…

On the bright side, his face almost looks like Alex!

Edited by Disk98

Oh you wouldn't mind it might be able to get to that itch you can't reach...

Waiter there's a bug in my soup... better yet, it can have it, I'm out :outtahere: tahere! Edited by librarian
  • Like 1

Oh you wouldn't mind it might be able to get to that itch you can't reach...

You're not talking about Alex, are you? :LOL:

Yikes!!! Thanks Duck, now I can have nightmares in my new house! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

This makes the spiders I've seen the last few days look okay....

Yikes!!! Thanks Duck, now I can have nightmares in my new house! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

This makes the spiders I've seen the last few days look okay and harmeless...

Sorry folks.....double post.....

Edited by rushfanforever!

Awesome, how long before they deep fry it and bundle it with the Beef and Brocolli?