What are your thoughts on the Roll the Bones album?

Brucey

Rate Roll the Bones  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this album?

I like the first three songs, Dreamline the most. And, I like Heresy. The rest is innocuous.

Not a bad album, overall. There are far better ones, however.

First time I heard RTB and T4E, I loved them.

First time I played Presto, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Permanent Waves and A Farewell To Kings I thought I may at first have made an error. I thought they were lame.

My point? The best of the best albums get better with time.

• Like 1

First time I played Presto, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Permanent Waves and A Farewell To Kings I thought I may at first have made an error. I thought they were lame.

Totally get it......your shift just kind of shocked me.

For me....i still LOVE rtb. But yes i have cooled on it slightly.....not much though. I still contend it's easily the best of their 90's run.

Mick

For me....i still LOVE rtb. But yes i have cooled on it slightly.....not much though. I still contend it's easily the best of their 90's run.

Mick

Really? Counterparts is seriously good stuff!

Roll The Bones sounds really lame, and when I first got hooked on the album, I was floored by the strength of the first three songs! But Face Up, Heresy, Neuritica and the last song which I cannot remember are the worst of the worst.

Mick

Roll The Bones sounds really lame, and when I first got hooked on the album, I was floored by the strength of the first three songs! But Face Up, Heresy, Neuritica and the last song which I cannot remember are the worst of the worst.

Counterparts i've always said would have made a great EP

1. Animate

2. Stick it Out

3. Cut to the Chase

4. leave that Thing Alone.

and that's it........nothing else works for me.....like......at all.

And forget T4E...yuck

And i love Heresy

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

1. Animate

2. Stick it Out

3. Cut to the Chase

And forget T4E...yuck

And i love Heresy

Mick

I like/love everything on CP! Cold Fire, Everyday Glory, Speed Of Love, Cut To The Chase, Animate...

• Like 1

Mick

1. Animate

2. Stick it Out

3. Cut to the Chase

And forget T4E...yuck

And i love Heresy

Mick

Totally agree with T4E. That album does absolutely nothing for me and I also dig Heresy.

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

RTB is less than mediocre, by Rush standards. The chorus is lame, I dislike the guitar sound throughout the song, and that horrible rap! I understand the rap thing was done as a joke, but if you have to explain it then it's not funny.

For those who missed it...

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/batboystiiiwater/BRAVADO_zps57a2e3a3.jpg

The Westboro Baptist Church changes its mind as often as Segue.

To be fair, its been months since I praised RTB!

Its simply the Rush album with the most filler, the only Rush album I am tempted to skip tracks.

But those first three songs, plus The Big Wheel and Ghost Of A Chance, are the only songs I remember really digging! The awfulness of the rest took me a while to overcome, and the more I grew to enjoy Presto, HYF, PoW, CP and recently VT, the worse RTB has become! It sounded great to my ears the first time because of all the albums I heard for the first time around the same couple of weeks, RTB was the most immediate! In about two months I acquired about ten Rush albums, and RTB was at first the only one I liked...the rest, like most of Rush, was an aquired taste.

I'd take RTB over Counterparts any day. I think that album totally blows save for Animate, Cut to the Chase, and Alien Shore (and Everyday Glory depending on my mood).

I'm one of the few here who would take T4E over the two of them in a landslide. I love T4E, even seven years after first hearing it. Something about that album has always stuck with me, and I realize I'm a small minority. I just love it!

I'd take RTB over Counterparts any day. I think that album totally blows save for Animate, Cut to the Chase, and Alien Shore (and Everyday Glory depending on my mood).

I'm one of the few here who would take T4E over the two of them in a landslide. I love T4E, even seven years after first hearing it. Something about that album has always stuck with me, and I realize I'm a small minority. I just love it!

I'm with you. I feel the same way about Counterparts and T4E. Think the production is very good on Counterparts especially but I don't care for a lot of the songs.

Edited by EagleMoon

Despite the fact I am not blind to all the faults other fans have pointed out, I mysteriously love T4E as well in the right mood! Sure, lyrically its embarrasing, but it has a unique charm that really pulls me in...but I have to be in the mood. Other times I play it and I have to turn it off immediately.

• Like 1

Face Up? Neurotica? You Bet Your Life? Are you kidding me? I get that they are within the context of the album, but....

I quite like the rest of it, and what was played live was even better and given a lot more depth.

"I'm on a roll now - Or is it a slide?"

• Like 1

I listened to the 90's trilogy back to back to back today. After really paying close attention to CP and T4E especially........it's not even close for me. RTB all the way. Just can't get into the other 2.

Bottom of the heap records for me.

Mick

Dreamline - Great theme with some strong lyrics. Strong musically once it gets going.

Bravado - Well-crafted song, with nice vocals from Geddy. Excellent solos, especially live.

Roll the Bones - No thanks.

Where's My Thing? - Fun, straight forward instrumental. A bit repetitive.

Face Up - I actually enjoy the fact that it's an up-tempo song among the generally plodding ones.

The Big Wheel - Meh.

Heresy - Taken in context of what was going on in Eastern Europe at the time, it makes sense. Wind of Change is better.

Ghost of a Chance - Great song, musically and lyrically.

Neurotica - Great initial hook, the songs shows promise, but the chorus... :facepalm:

You Bet Your Life - Horrible album closer. No thanks,

Overall, some great moments. Inoffensive, but nothing worth posting in a forum about.

Despite the fact I am not blind to all the faults other fans have pointed out, I mysteriously love T4E as well in the right mood! Sure, lyrically its embarrasing, but it has a unique charm that really pulls me in...but I have to be in the mood. Other times I play it and I have to turn it off immediately.

:goodone:
  • Like 1

I generally meet the consensus on a lot of things here, but T4E will never be one of them. You're right, it has a unique charm that pulls me in, and I'm not sure what that charm is. It's never spoiled for me and while it's not a Top 5 Rush album for me, it's certainly in the Top 10.

I see the flaws everyone points out, too. Doesn't matter much. It sounds good to my ears. I love Alex's guitar tone, the emphasis on acoustic guitar, and Neil's "new" drum approach in its infancy. It's a neat record.

• Like 2

I generally meet the consensus on a lot of things here, but T4E will never be one of them. You're right, it has a unique charm that pulls me in, and I'm not sure what that charm is. It's never spoiled for me and while it's not a Top 5 Rush album for me, it's certainly in the Top 10.

I see the flaws everyone points out, too. Doesn't matter much. It sounds good to my ears. I love Alex's guitar tone, the emphasis on acoustic guitar, and Neil's "new" drum approach in its infancy. It's a neat record.

While I don't care for the album at all, you state a good case. As long as it works for you.

• Like 3