Boyhood

Nate2112

I really want to see this as well! Sounds like a fascinating experiment.

Not out anywhere nearby yet unless I really want to take a trip to San Francisco just to see a movie... Even then I'm not so sure I'd get in.

Guess I'll be seeing Lucy, Sex Tape, 22 Jump Street, or Tammy instead :eyeroll:

Edited by Mr. IsNot

The novelty adds nothing for me. If this had been made in a year using different actors it would have bombed, critics would have laughed at it and nobody would be talking about it after the first week.
  • Like 1

I watched it last week

I think the films that have been in running for best films last year have been a bit average

So I have trouble with the hype this film has had . ( as with Whiplash )

It`s a good film for what it is .

I guess you could have done this without "real actors " and it would have been a bit more "real"

the boy in the film was not and is not an actor .

You can tell .

What is it about ?

Life .

We all know about that and this is where it lets the film down .

Not much happens .

The novelty adds nothing for me. If this had been made in a year using different actors it would have bombed, critics would have laughed at it and nobody would be talking about it after the first week.

I watched it a few weeks ago, and while I thought it was cool, 99% of the hype is because of how it was filmed. Story-wise, I didn't find it particularly inspired. Unless the director's point was how ordinary life is.

It's slice of life. The Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midniight trilogy (so far) is much the same way (also his). Just a window, in this case, into a few hours of one day (or so).

These are movies not about "stuff" but about life and relationships. The plot is how real people deal with real situations. One might call them chick flicks except that I find the dialogue and the people to be more real than the average stupid, dumb, and predictable romance comedy, so that's a bit of a slight that I resent.

I look at it like this: you either get Linklater and that style appeals to you or you do not. I think he's brilliant at this style of filmmaking.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I watched it a few weeks ago, and while I thought it was cool, 99% of the hype is because of how it was filmed. Story-wise, I didn't find it particularly inspired. Unless the director's point was how ordinary life is.

I'm pretty sure it was the point of the movie but at the same time the viewer needs someone to relate to -- they need a window into the world created by the movie usually via the protagonist. In this case I really couldn't care less about anyone in the movie past the halfway point. The protagonist was a t.w.a.t by that point.

EDIT: TW-AT is censored, are you kidding me?

Edited by USB Connector