For my 2,112 post I give you...

KennyLee

My favorite part is on their version of "Jacob's Ladder" where the guitarist, in typical guitarist fashion, is so instantly bored during the middle keyboard section that he instantly lights up a cigarette the second the guitar part is through and just kinda stands there like a member of the audience, thinking "God how f'n long is this keyboard solo?!?!?!!!" until he can play his guitar again upon which time he is once more content.

I'm trying to imagine how he might otherwise occupy his time while waiting for his cue to begin playing again...

Tuning, perhaps? Nah. Smoke if you got 'em.

No wonder why my post from yesterday never showed up. :doh: :facepalm: :LOL:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/88388-tears/page__st__20#entry3217536

• Like 1

I'd love to watch it, but you know the story.

Hahaha you always make me laugh!

I know, right? Can we all chip in and get Lorraine a high speed internet connection?

If a bunch of us gave $5/month we could do it!

• Like 1

My favorite part is on their version of "Jacob's Ladder" where the guitarist, in typical guitarist fashion, is so instantly bored during the middle keyboard section that he instantly lights up a cigarette the second the guitar part is through and just kinda stands there like a member of the audience, thinking "God how f'n long is this keyboard solo?!?!?!!!" until he can play his guitar again upon which time he is once more content.

I'm trying to imagine how he might otherwise occupy his time while waiting for his cue to begin playing again...

Tuning, perhaps? Nah. Smoke if you got 'em.

Awesome response. LMAO

• Like 1

You've inspired me to try to work out a version of Losing It on my acoustic. I think I've got it. I'm using a capo on the fifth fret and using Am, C, F, and G for the verses and A, G, D (some variation I don't know the name of), Bmaj7, C#, F and G for the other bit ("Some were born etc.). I know it's the wrong key and some of these chords are probably way off, but it's working for me. The thing that's screwing me up is the timing, but I'm playing it "loosely." What's cool is that you can throw in Alex's little guitar phrases on the Am.

You've inspired me to try to work out a version of Losing It on my acoustic. I think I've got it. I'm using a capo on the fifth fret and using Am, C, F, and G for the verses and A, G, D (some variation I don't know the name of), Bmaj7, C#, F and G for the other bit ("Some were born etc.). I know it's the wrong key and some of these chords are probably way off, but it's working for me. The thing that's screwing me up is the timing, but I'm playing it "loosely." What's cool is that you can throw in Alex's little guitar phrases on the Am.

The capo on the fifth fret is messing me up cause it's a lot of black keys. Haha

Yeah, the 5/4 timing isn't too comfortable at first but it comes. Singing over it almost helps as weird as that is.

I would love to hear it when you do it. Please post it?

The capo on the fifth fret is messing me up cause it's a lot of black keys. Haha

Yeah, the 5/4 timing isn't too comfortable at first but it comes. Singing over it almost helps as weird as that is.

You mean, like, play it and record it and then let people actually listen to it? (stomach lurches)

I don't think I would know how to post something like that. I'm not very computer saavy. Or, computers in my time zone don't permit that sort of thing. Or something like that.

• Like 1

From one bass god to another:

Take this to heart, and to your bandmates.

Please utilize all that technical ability, chops, feel, and write some damn music.

As I watch these videos I think to myself "they can do this in their sleep (like it's sooo easy wink wink). Why aren't they giving the world a piece of themselves?" As a favor to me, and the rest of TRF, don't waste your talents and God-given gifts on this Kenny. Plow new ground and you'll be rewarded.

You guys have so much more to offer. And that's the truth—with some cheese on it!

Sincerely

Duff

• Like 1

Please utilize all that technical ability, chops, feel, and write some damn music.

As I watch these videos I think to myself "they can do this in their sleep (like it's sooo easy wink wink). Why aren't they giving the world a piece of themselves?" As a favor to me, and the rest of TRF, don't waste your talents and God-given gifts on this Kenny. Plow new ground and you'll be rewarded.

You guys have so much more to offer. And that's the truth—with some cheese on it!

Sincerely

Duff

Thank you for the vote of confidence but two things I have accepted in this world.

1. I am old. I'm 43 years old and my window of opportunity to "make it" has long, long passed. Also, with a wife and 3 kids, 2 of whom play travel ice hockey, there is 0 minutes in the day that I could dedicate to song writing.

2. I am just not a very good composer. I have written songs before, mostly as a teenager. They were... meh. Not awful, I guess? Nothing I listen to now so why would anyone else?

I get some grief (not here, really too much) from original artists who don't think you're a real musician if you don't write your own material. While I have much respect for any musician who does, I just can't do it well. I wouldn't look at a concert pianist playing beautiful Chopin or Mozart pieces and think, "Hmm, just doing covers. Not a real musician." Some people can write really good songs. I'm not one of them.

I am having fun, though, and making people happy. That's enough for me at this point in my life.

• Like 8

You mean, like, play it and record it and then let people actually listen to it? (stomach lurches)

I don't think I would know how to post something like that. I'm not very computer saavy. Or, computers in my time zone don't permit that sort of thing. Or something like that.

Well, I would love to hear it... if you figure out how to post it. Don't be shy.

Sincerely

Duff

Thank you for the vote of confidence but two things I have accepted in this world.

1. I am old. I'm 43 years old and my window of opportunity to "make it" has long, long passed. Also, with a wife and 3 kids, 2 of whom play travel ice hockey, there is 0 minutes in the day that I could dedicate to song writing.

2. I am just not a very good composer. I have written songs before, mostly as a teenager. They were... meh. Not awful, I guess? Nothing I listen to now so why would anyone else?

I get some grief (not here, really too much) from original artists who don't think you're a real musician if you don't write your own material. While I have much respect for any musician who does, I just can't do it well. I wouldn't look at a concert pianist playing beautiful Chopin or Mozart pieces and think, "Hmm, just doing covers. Not a real musician." Some people can write really good songs. I'm not one of them.

I am having fun, though, and making people happy. That's enough for me at this point in my life.

And as someone who has played in both original bands and Rush tribute bands, the tribute bands were more fun. The material already has a fan base, so, unless you suck (which you guys don't), you won't be playing to an uninterested/absent audience. When you play originals, you have to win over your audience with your material, which can be hard to do until you get a following. In Austin that's extremely hard to do -- a kagillion clubs and a bazillion bands means you probably won't be playing for the same crowd from one night to the next, and Austin audiences are extremely fickle (they can afford to be: the city is a "target rich environment" if you're a club-goer).

• Like 1

Sincerely

Duff

And as someone who has played in both original bands and Rush tribute bands, the tribute bands were more fun. The material already has a fan base, so, unless you suck (which you guys don't), you won't be playing to an uninterested/absent audience. When you play originals, you have to win over your audience with your material, which can be hard to do until you get a following. In Austin that's extremely hard to do -- a kagillion clubs and a bazillion bands means you probably won't be playing for the same crowd from one night to the next, and Austin audiences are extremely fickle (they can afford to be: the city is a "target rich environment" if you're a club-goer).

And back when I was 25 I would not have minded that struggle. I was quite good, actually, at coming up with interesting bass lines or vocal harmonies (this is actually the first band I have ever sung lead) but if I don't find that guy who can put a solid structure for a good song down, I'm useless.

Maybe my stuff was actually really good and I'm my own worst critic. Who knows? Bottom line is, I won't be pursuing originals. I have a 19 year old son who can write, play and sing. The world is his now. The baton has been passed. I'm just gonna have a blast playing my favorite music.

• Like 3

Sincerely

Duff

You letter of resignation is not accepted—get busy dude! Start crankin'

• Like 2

Sincerely

Duff

Screw playing clubs...you got the internet. Think outside the box

Sincerely

Duff

Not nearly as fun. An energetic is like crack cocaine to me. :drool:

Sincerely

Duff

Yup. My gigging days are over, but my musician days are still going strong. In a few weeks, I hope to give you guys a heads-up on what I and some buddies have been up to.

• Like 1

Sincerely

Duff

I love your honesty and your ability to face reality. Not many people can do that.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Well, I would love to hear it... if you figure out how to post it. Don't be shy.

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I will, since I'll have a bit of free time this week. Is it possible to attach mp3 files to posts, or can you only link to URLs? The help file says something about attaching files "if the administrators have allowed it" or something like that.

• Like 1

Sincerely

Duff

Nice. There comes a time when its not all about you. You obviously figured that one out and realize that sacrifice for the good of your children (family) takes precedence over at least a small piece of your own happiness and fulfillment. It will pay off in spades in the end when they are grown. That has been my experience anyway...... :)
  • Like 3

Sincerely

Duff

:goodone:

I love your honesty. :cheers:

• Like 1

Sincerely

Duff

Nice. There comes a time when its not all about you. You obviously figured that one out and realize that sacrifice for the good of your children (family) takes precedence over at least a small piece of your own happiness and fulfillment. It will pay off in spades in the end when they are grown. That has been my experience anyway...... :)

I think that is wonderful for the children and family involved. Because, why have children if you're not going to care for them properly? That being said, don't forget to care for yourself! Because there is no reason to stop enjoying life or to stop having fun just because you have children. Remember, no one is going to take care of you besides you.

My friends with kids will often trade off a night out, so one parent can go out and relax for a few hours while the other stays home. Although I don't think this applies to either of you since your kids are older :)

• Like 1