Interesting little blurb about Neil Peart on Electric Six's website

beneathbetweenbehindyourmom

I'm assuming that there can't be too many TRFers who are into Electric Six, but I just read this post on the bands facebook from a couple of days ago and thought that y'all would find it pretty neat.

https://www.facebook...-6/154062438761

• Hamilton, Ontario has birthed some giants in the arts and entertainment sphere. Comedy legends Martin Short, Eugene Levy and Dave Thomas of Second City and SCTV are Hamiltonians. Famed Hollywood director Ivan Reitman also hails from Hamilton, as does contemporary dance/pop act Junior Boys. The focus of Electric Six's discussion today is not on any of these figures, giant as they are. Instead, we choose to discuss Neil Peart, drummer for Canada's most successful rock band ever, Rush. Peart didn't have an easy climb to the top of Rock Drummer Mountain, Crazies. Before joining Rush, he lived in London where work was so scarce for him that he was reduced to selling souvenirs to tourists just to survive. Despite his awesome skin work, Neil wasn't finding things easy, but he didn't pity himself. While in London, he discovered the works of Objectivist writer and libertarian pin up girl Ayn Rand. Rand's boostrap ethos inspired Peart to not give up and to not look to the government for any drumming related handouts. He returned to Canada to work for his father and played in an Ontario band called Hush (rhymes with "Rush," doesn't it, Crazies?). After he toiled that way for awhile, he got tipped to an opportunity to audition for Rush (not Hush) and after making a strange impression, got the gig. The rest was history, as his manic drumming style and lyrical content proved inspirational to millions of nerds worldwide. Neil Peart is a classic example of what happens when you refuse to quit and apply hard money principles to one's life. On Wednesday, July 16, Electric Six will purposefully stride upon a stage at The Casbah in Hamilton, Ontario and will do so with zero assistance from the government. Like Neil Peart, Electric Six is a firm believer in the gold standard and the primacy of the individual above all else. Electric Six worries about rampant inflation and the eroding value of its money. Yet, it doesn't worry nearly as much about having to roll in a wheelbarrow full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread as it does giving the Crazies a good time each and every night. For approximately 70 minutes, inclusive of encore, Electric Six is gonna bust a musical cap in the ass of Hamiltonian Crazies. Percussion World is not Neil Peart and he doesn't have anywhere close to the same sized kit that man uses, but he's gonna lay down a non-stop beat a Crazy won't be able to resist. Percussion World is going to apply Austrian Economics principles to the drums on Wednesday night and you'll see where that gets you, Crazy. It gets you where you want to go.
    2 days ago
    10514712_10152493039863762_461925247371786634_n.jpg

crazy
  • Like 1

Weird and wrong. They will have plenty of assistance from the government through the road infrastructure they use to transport their equipment to the show and the plumbing and electrical infrastructure they will use to help provide the show.
  • Like 1

http://rockhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/neil-peart.jpg

Whenever I watch that version of Freewill and Neil makes that stupid ass face, I always imagine he's thinking "I can be funny and goofy just like Alex and Geddy!" No Neil....you just look like an idiot

Whenever I watch that version of Freewill and Neil makes that stupid ass face, I always imagine he's thinking "I can be funny and goofy just like Alex and Geddy!" No Neil....you just look like an idiot

?

?

You don't agree?

?

You don't agree?

I just . . . think that when people make goofy faces like that on purpose, they're trying to look . . . goofy, or like an idiot. It could be that when Alex makes a goofy face it's "cute-goofy" but when Neil does it, it's grotesque, or something? Or is it just so out of character from the dark, brooding personality that so many people have pasted on him?

?

You don't agree?

I just . . . think that when people make goofy faces like that on purpose, they're trying to look . . . goofy, or like an idiot. It could be that when Alex makes a goofy face it's "cute-goofy" but when Neil does it, it's grotesque, or something? Or is it just so out of character from the dark, brooding personality that so many people have pasted on him?

When Alex does something like that, more often than not it's pretty funny. But I just feel embarrassed for Neil when I see him do it. It just seems like he knows that everyone thinks he's a sourpuss, and he's just trying so damn hard to make it seem like he's a funny guy

When Alex does something like that, more often than not it's pretty funny. But I just feel embarrassed for Neil when I see him do it. It just seems like he knows that everyone thinks he's a sourpuss, and he's just trying so damn hard to make it seem like he's a funny guy

Yeah, maybe. Then again, maybe he is a funny guy. Have you watched the "drunken meal at a lodge" thing on the Documentary? I actually feel kind of sorry for him, because it seems like Alex and Geddy are sort of ignoring everything he says - like they have a rapport that doesn't include him.

Yeah, maybe. Then again, maybe he is a funny guy. Have you watched the "drunken meal at a lodge" thing on the Documentary? I actually feel kind of sorry for him, because it seems like Alex and Geddy are sort of ignoring everything he says - like they have a rapport that doesn't include him.

exactly! I'm glad you brought up the dinner! Neil isn't funny at all! Even when he tries ("I don't even buy green bananas") the other guys don't even get it!

exactly! I'm glad you brought up the dinner! Neil isn't funny at all! Even when he tries ("I don't even buy green bananas") the other guys don't even get it!

Funny needs encouragement. Neil seems pretty loose (and a bit tipsy), at least.

Funny needs encouragement. Neil seems pretty loose (and a bit tipsy), at least.

Neil has his moments during the dinner, but only when he's not trying to be funny haha

The most asscringeworthy part of it isn't the fact that Neil made the forced stupid face, but that the idiots who edited the DVD probably thought, "Oh dude that's soooo rad!!! Did you see Neil's face? Dude, we SOOOOO have to focus up on that and highlight it. Neil's the $hit, man...I hope everyone notices this totally obvious unnecessary pandering we're doing to make sure we point out Neil's goofy side!!! The dude's an intellectual, but let's make this shot last a l-i-t-t-l-e longer just so no one could ever possibly miss how cool of a face Neil makes so that they know he's just a normal silly fun guy like all of us pleebs even though he's like waaay smart!!!"
  • Like 2

I'm assuming that there can't be too many TRFers who are into Electric Six, but I just read this post on the bands facebook from a couple of days ago and thought that y'all would find it pretty neat.

• Hamilton, Ontario has birthed some giants in the arts and entertainment sphere. Comedy legends Martin Short, Eugene Levy and Dave Thomas of Second City and SCTV are Hamiltonians. Famed Hollywood director Ivan Reitman also hails from Hamilton, as does contemporary dance/pop act Junior Boys. The focus of Electric Six's discussion today is not on any of these figures, giant as they are. Instead, we choose to discuss Neil Peart, drummer for Canada's most successful rock band ever, Rush. Peart didn't have an easy climb to the top of Rock Drummer Mountain, Crazies. Before joining Rush, he lived in London where work was so scarce for him that he was reduced to selling souvenirs to tourists just to survive. Despite his awesome skin work, Neil wasn't finding things easy, but he didn't pity himself. While in London, he discovered the works of Objectivist writer and libertarian pin up girl Ayn Rand. Rand's boostrap ethos inspired Peart to not give up and to not look to the government for any drumming related handouts. He returned to Canada to work for his father and played in an Ontario band called Hush (rhymes with "Rush," doesn't it, Crazies?). After he toiled that way for awhile, he got tipped to an opportunity to audition for Rush (not Hush) and after making a strange impression, got the gig. The rest was history, as his manic drumming style and lyrical content proved inspirational to millions of nerds worldwide. Neil Peart is a classic example of what happens when you refuse to quit and apply hard money principles to one's life. On Wednesday, July 16, Electric Six will purposefully stride upon a stage at The Casbah in Hamilton, Ontario and will do so with zero assistance from the government. Like Neil Peart, Electric Six is a firm believer in the gold standard and the primacy of the individual above all else. Electric Six worries about rampant inflation and the eroding value of its money. Yet, it doesn't worry nearly as much about having to roll in a wheelbarrow full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread as it does giving the Crazies a good time each and every night. For approximately 70 minutes, inclusive of encore, Electric Six is gonna bust a musical cap in the ass of Hamiltonian Crazies. Percussion World is not Neil Peart and he doesn't have anywhere close to the same sized kit that man uses, but he's gonna lay down a non-stop beat a Crazy won't be able to resist. Percussion World is going to apply Austrian Economics principles to the drums on Wednesday night and you'll see where that gets you, Crazy. It gets you where you want to go.
    2 days ago

I'm a big fan of their songs Gold Bar Chetta, Leave That Currency Alone, La Dollar Strangiato, Farewell To Wealth, Entre Marchands, Something For Something, Where's My Fed?, I Think I'm Going Broke, The Papermancer, Market Value Will, New World Order Man, Debt Ceiling Unlimited, Inflation (part IV of Fear), The Monetary Monkey Business, Spend Rift, Malignant Capitalism, and All Cities of Gold.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze

2 days ago

I'm a big fan of their songs Gold Bar Chetta, Leave That Currency Alone, La Dollar Strangiato, Farewell To Wealth, Entre Marchands, Something For Something, Where's My Fed?, I Think I'm Going Broke, The Papermancer, Market Value Will, New World Order Man, Debt Ceiling Unlimited, Inflation (part IV of Fear), The Monetary Monkey Business, Spend Rift, Malignant Capitalism, and All Cities of Gold.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/d8/52/2b/d8522b4b8bac1f4ec303947a223eb2ed.jpg

Weird and wrong. They will have plenty of assistance from the government through the road infrastructure they use to transport their equipment to the show and the plumbing and electrical infrastructure they will use to help provide the show.

Narpski, this is what a troll is.^

Is or does?....

Settle down "you didn't make it on your own" man.

• Like 1

How do you figure?

Settle down "you didn't make it on your own" man.

What are you talking about?

$10 reward for anyone who can dig up a Neil thread where someone didn't take some cheap potshot at him.

$5 reward for anyone who remembers the original topic of this thread

Edited by MMCXII

$10 reward for anyone who can dig up a Neil thread where someone didn't take some cheap potshot at him.

Funny as I'm usually pretty critical of him but I almost feel like coming to his defense in this thread. This is a snapshot within a three-hour performance? It's like when the NY Post prints a photo of Hillary, or MSNBC of any politician right of Hugo Chavez, they grab a shot where the person has the expression of someone who's just had a hot poker shoved up somewhere sensitive. Any of us can look ridiculous at the right moment.

Re Neil's sense of humor, it seems quite good, but just like everything else, he takes his humor very seriously ;) . Obviously he's not a goof though, like good ol' Alex.

p.s., there are humans, such as N. Pelosi, who always looks scary and bizarre, no matter, but obviously Neil was just caught in a weird moment.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1