Segue Myles

Ok, I have noticed a trend with this album: you either love or hate this...very little in the way of a middle ground...

Well, I love it! The eighties ended on a higher note than expected, and not one song gets skipped...Superconductor came close, but truth be told, I find much to love in that song...

So come on, what is your verdict?

Is Presto Magic, or Mucous?

Have fun!

• Like 1

Its a good listen, but not many tracks on it that I would pick out on a whim. On a condensed listen (car trip that is less than an album long) The songs commonly skipped for me are War Paint, Anagram (For Mongo), and Hand Over Fist. Bigger problem with the album is the sound quality, if Presto had the Power Windows punch to it, then it would be fantastic.
  • Like 1

I don't love it or hate it. I think it's a decent record—hardly great by Rush's standards but with a few great moments (The Pass, Available Light, Show Don't Tell).

It gets a little dull in the middle. Skipping Scars helps me avoid getting bored.

The bass sounds awful. The sound is weak in general, but Rupert did far more harm to the Roll the Bones songs than he did to these ones, as most of these don't exactly rock to begin with.

• Like 2

Recently bought Presto remastered and although it's an improvement sound wise the problems remain. The songs suffer from a start-stop-start approach which make them hard to enjoy, you don't get a chance to enjoy one part before there is a change and quite a different change at times. There is also some terrible production for example the title track which I like, doesn't flow as it should, and there's a guitar chord sequence after, "I'm not one to believe in magic" , acoustic or semi-acoustic? which sounds like someone kicking tin cans or glass bottles.

I have a hearing problem......

Nah. You just don't complain about every little thing. You either like it, or you don't. No biggie!

How anyone can complain and say Presto is badly produced amd rave about anything from VT to CA is beyond me...

(By the way I love CA)

I prefer the sound of presto to the big wall or sound from CA

Same

We both must have a hearing problem then. The production and sound beat the shite out of VT or CA. Or is our hearing to keen?.....

We both must have a hearing problem then. The production and sound beat the shite out of VT or CA. Or is our hearing to keen?.....

I just like the fact that its so much easier to pick out the individual instruments, can actually hear what notes they play. I get the fact that its "thin", but its preferable to tons of overlapping parts. I also think Geddys voice is rock solid on presto

• Like 5

I just like the fact that its so much easier to pick out the individual instruments, can actually hear what notes they play. I get the fact that its "thin", but its preferable to tons of overlapping parts. I also think Geddys voice is rock solid on presto

Agreed. Something went wrong at the turn of the century.....

The problem is not unique to Rush sadly...Metallica...Springsteen...every modern radio rock bamd you care to mention...even pop is overproduced, loud and ugly...

Hence the resurgence of interest in classic rock with the younger crowd...

• Like 2

The problem is not unique to Rush sadly...Metallica...Springsteen...every modern radio rock bamd you care to mention...even pop is overproduced, loud and ugly...

The clean sound beats all in my view. Call it thin or whatever you want but it is more pleasant to the ears in my opinion....
  • Like 2

The clean sound beats all in my view. Call it thin or whatever you want but it is more pleasant to the ears in my opinion....

Agreed. I never realised how cluttered CA sounded until I started to explore there earlier work fully...after CA, I went from casual fan to uber fan, but overall I find it easier to listen to AFTK or PoW, two examples of well produced albums at opposite ends of the Rush spectrum. Worst production on a Rush album, aside from VT, is RTB. So squeaky clean, it must have been embarrassing for them when grunged started to emerge with its grime and rawness.

• Like 1

Ok, I have noticed a trend with this album: you either love or hate this...very little in the way of a middle ground...

Well, I love it! The eighties ended on a higher note than expected, and not one song gets skipped...Superconductor came close, but truth be told, I find much to love in that song...

Have fun!

"Magic or Tragic"?

I'll go with magic, for the album as a whole. The first five tracks are pure gold to me. Thin production, but great instrumental clarity with a refreshingly stripped-down approach taht marks a u-turn away from the key-laden approach found on HYF. It's not till the title track that that classic RUSH sophomoric clunkiness sneaks in.

I actually like Superconductor for what it is, and love the bridge. It's a great live track, as I recall from the PRESTO tour. Red Tide is awesome, and Available Light is a perfect closer. One of teh best ever. Hand Over Fist isn't terrible, and I like the sentiment. I appreciate Anagram as one of those tongue in cheek playful RUSH tracks, like Going Bald or Dog Years.

Overall, one of their more consistent efforts with great musicianship.

• Like 3

Amazing vocals throughout. :yes:
  • Like 1

Have fun!

"Magic or Tragic"?

I'll go with magic, for the album as a whole. The first five tracks are pure gold to me. Thin production, but great instrumental clarity with a refreshingly stripped-down approach taht marks a u-turn away from the key-laden approach found on HYF. It's not till the title track that that classic RUSH sophomoric clunkiness sneaks in.

I actually like Superconductor for what it is, and love the bridge. It's a great live track, as I recall from the PRESTO tour. Red Tide is awesome, and Available Light is a perfect closer. One of teh best ever. Hand Over Fist isn't terrible, and I like the sentiment. I appreciate Anagram as one of those tongue in cheek playful RUSH tracks, like Going Bald or Dog Years.

Overall, one of their more consistent efforts with great musicianship.

At the moment, the only Rush album I rank higher is AFTK. Not a single wasted moment, even Superconductor has warmed its way into my heart...

• Like 2

Agreed. I never realised how cluttered CA sounded until I started to explore there earlier work fully...after CA, I went from casual fan to uber fan, but overall I find it easier to listen to AFTK or PoW, two examples of well produced albums at opposite ends of the Rush spectrum. Worst production on a Rush album, aside from VT, is RTB. So squeaky clean, it must have been embarrassing for them when grunged started to emerge with its grime and rawness.

Which is why Counterparts was produced loud and raw, while still sounding pleasing to the ear. Since then, only one of those has been true.

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

Which is why Counterparts was produced loud and raw, while still sounding pleasing to the ear. Since then, only one of those has been true.

CP and T4E have such wonderful sonic clarity...its pathetic how it all got so silly in the new century...

• Like 1

You know my thoughts most underrated album and i will defend it forever. it's number five in my top five. Sure production wise it's weak. But i prefer this production to something like the wall of noise that is CA or VT. Plus the hooks and melodies on Presto are just delicious.

Adore it.

Mick

• Like 1

Meh. I listened to it again the other day and at that time upgraded my opinion from horrible to not terribly offensive. Just not my style.
  • Like 4

I have a hearing problem......

Nah. You just don't complain about every little thing. You either like it, or you don't. No biggie!

How anyone can complain and say Presto is badly produced amd rave about anything from VT to CA is beyond me...

(By the way I love CA)

The volume level is terrible!! BTW, I love the album. The other two albums you mention at least have a decent volume level.

• Like 1