Kevin Moore vs Jordan Rudess

Mr. Not

Moore vs Rudess  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Has Offered More to DT?

• Jordan Rudess
    • Kevin Moore

Train of Thought is indeed one of their worst.......can't stand it. Then came Octavarium......and i was OK, lol

Mick

Oh man, I listened to this on the way to work today. You're missing out I love this album!

Oh and I think I the song that guy transcribed is the chorus to In the Name of God :D

It's just comes as a lame attempt to please a section of their fan base. When they don't really gel as metal. Then again i dislike Systematic Chaos and Blackholes too.

Mick

Train of Thought is indeed one of their worst.......can't stand it. Then came Octavarium......and i was OK, lol

Mick

Oh man, I listened to this on the way to work today. You're missing out I love this album!

Oh and I think I the song that guy transcribed is the chorus to In the Name of God :D

It's just comes as a lame attempt to please a section of their fan base. When they don't really gel as metal. Then again i dislike Systematic Chaos and Blackholes too.

Mick

I loved that album ...just kinda wish they would quit remaking it.

Kevin Moore may have been the original.....but original ain't always best. I just love watching Jordon play. There should be an option on one of their DVD'S to just watch Jordan, lol Man is a wizard.

So i pick Jordan.

Mick

I agree. More than with any other band, I need individual cameras of each player.

Such a shame how underrepresented Myung was on their latest DVD.

They did something like (if not exactly) what you described for Live at Budokan, I believe.

http://youtu.be/WtkQMdiT_tk

Personally, I like watching the Myung camera for this one.

Dude is a beast on the keys. I need to go back and check these out. I only have Live At Budokan, Live At Luna Park and Score on DVD. What should I get next?

Kevin Moore may have been the original.....but original ain't always best. I just love watching Jordon play. There should be an option on one of their DVD'S to just watch Jordan, lol Man is a wizard.

So i pick Jordan.

Mick

I agree. More than with any other band, I need individual cameras of each player.

They did something like (if not exactly) what you described for Live at Budokan, I believe.

Dude is a beast on the keys. I need to go back and check these out. I only have Live At Budokan, Live At Luna Park and Score on DVD. What should I get next?

Watch this clip:

http://youtu.be/fFfeQgRcaEE

Believe me when I say you've now seen the "Chaos in Motion" DVD highlight :)

Go for Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York.

Edited by Mr. IsNot
  • Like 1

So i pick Jordan.

Mick

Watch this clip:

Sounds really Rothery-esque.

Watch this clip:

Sorry to have lied... But there is another highlight or two of the DVD. My point is with the "highlight" talk is that all in all Chaos in Motion isn't worth it. The set isn't favorable... But let's face it, if you like this and that DT DVD, chances are you'll like the rest too. You can't really go completely wrong with Dream Theater DVD.

Here's another fantastic bit from Chaos in Motion:

This solo also wasn't in the original "Surrounded", Jordan added it in to make up for Kevin's inability ;)

Amazing solo, honestly. Beautiful and would have made Surrounded a 5 star song rather than 4.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't play this solo for Live in Luna park :( They should always play the song with this solo added in when they play it.

• Like 1

I voted for Kevin Moore but was only able to comment today. When it comes to keyboard playing, Jordan is absolutely unbeatable. I voted for Kevin simply because I like Images & Words and Awake more than any other album they put out. But of course I´m aware that his abilities are simply not the same anymore, as he chose to do some ambience stuff, and not doing leads like he used to on the first three DT albums.

On the other hand, I find myself liking less and less what Jordan has been putting out...his choice of arangements are very strange to me sometimes. Look at the solos on Beneath the Surface and Along for the Ride - almost exactly the same notes, and with that Peruvian flute sound...awful!

When it comes to tasteful keyboard sound, I´d say DT´s best is actually Derek Sherinian. Unfortunately he was the scapegoat for all the problems they had in their career from ´96 to ´98 and he was let go.

• Like 1

Sorry to have lied... But there is another highlight or two of the DVD. My point is with the "highlight" talk is that all in all Chaos in Motion isn't worth it. The set isn't favorable... But let's face it, if you like this and that DT DVD, chances are you'll like the rest too. You can't really go completely wrong with Dream Theater DVD

It looks much worse than Budokan and Sounds much worse than Score, but you do get In the Presence of Enemies pts 1 & 2 back to back which is a highlight for me.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

I voted for Kevin Moore but was only able to comment today. When it comes to keyboard playing, Jordan is absolutely unbeatable. I voted for Kevin simply because I like Images & Words and Awake more than any other album they put out. But of course I´m aware that his abilities are simply not the same anymore, as he chose to do some ambience stuff, and not doing leads like he used to on the first three DT albums.

On the other hand, I find myself liking less and less what Jordan has been putting out...his choice of arangements are very strange to me sometimes. Look at the solos on Beneath the Surface and Along for the Ride - almost exactly the same notes, and with that Peruvian flute sound...awful!

When it comes to tasteful keyboard sound, I´d say DT´s best is actually Derek Sherinian. Unfortunately he was the scapegoat for all the problems they had in their career from ´96 to ´98 and he was let go.

Funny I was just listening to FII today too. I like his little leads in "Just Let Me Breathe" over the verse that starts 'A daily dose of MTV..'.

And Hell's Kitchen! And let's not forget he played keys on the mighty ACOS too!

Sorry to have lied... But there is another highlight or two of the DVD. My point is with the "highlight" talk is that all in all Chaos in Motion isn't worth it. The set isn't favorable... But let's face it, if you like this and that DT DVD, chances are you'll like the rest too. You can't really go completely wrong with Dream Theater DVD

It looks much worse than Budokan and Sounds much worse than Score, but you do get In the Presence of Enemies pts 1 & 2 back to back which is a highlight for me.

I´ve grown to love Forsaken and The Ministry of the Lost Souls as well, both of which have great live versions on Chaos in Motion. But it was clear to me that the tensions within the band had started when they made Systematic Chaos, with Mike Portnoy taking more and more production duties, and invading LaBrie´s territory by adding more backing vocals.

Del_Duio, have you checked the Metropolis Part 2 demo with Derek? It´s great stuff as well! If only he had more material recorded with the band...

I think so- Is that the one giant song that's basically most of SFAM but without vocals? I've only heard it once so I'm not positive that's the one you mena.

It's an interesting piece of musical history for sure, but I sure am glad they turned this into SFAM in the end.
  • Like 1