Ungrateful Friends

Boots

I will admit that the kind of behavior the OP describes leaves me disappointed when I'm on the receiving end. I do not do nice things for people to be thanked or even recognized.

However, it's a letdown to find out someone you think highly of lacks basic manners and consideration for others. If I care enough for a friend to spend $150 on something I know they like and find useful, the selfishness indicated by the failure to acknowledge makes me think a little less of them.

However, I can forgive the occasional lapse depending on the circumstances. But if such behavior starts to show a pattern, I'm out.

• Like 1

I am still sort of new to this but when I asked months ago the definition of "troll" (because I heard it so many times) I must have been misinformed. I see nothing in this thread that meets the description I was given..... :sigh:

It's an internet pejorative for someone who typed something you didn't enjoy reading. In other words it means the same thing as most pejoratives...nothing.

I am still sort of new to this but when I asked months ago the definition of "troll" (because I heard it so many times) I must have been misinformed. I see nothing in this thread that meets the description I was given..... :sigh:

It's an internet pejorative for someone who typed something you didn't enjoy reading. In other words it means the same thing as most pejoratives...nothing.

Sounds like that would be a "me" problem and not the typist on the other end....

Not sure who this comment is directed at... no bother. i'll try to explain where i'm coming from further. but no where in my previous post did i say anything about being self centered. All i was trying to convey is that when a persons actions come with any kind of expectation, and the expectation is then not fulfilled, you are then disappointed. those feelings are yours and yours alone. you control those. Not the actions (or lack thereof) of other individuals.

you can avoid said disappointment by not expecting anything from a person when performing any kind of action. Give of yourself freely - out of love, care, concern for humankind, and be content or at peace with yourself that you are a person with integrity, compassion & empathy.

and for the record, i am far from a troll.. i am an (almost) 10 year veteran of this board.

I can't believe someone thought you were a troll Amy! :o :o :o :o :o

:o

Not sure who this comment is directed at... no bother. i'll try to explain where i'm coming from further. but no where in my previous post did i say anything about being self centered. All i was trying to convey is that when a persons actions come with any kind of expectation, and the expectation is then not fulfilled, you are then disappointed. those feelings are yours and yours alone. you control those. Not the actions (or lack thereof) of other individuals.

you can avoid said disappointment by not expecting anything from a person when performing any kind of action. Give of yourself freely - out of love, care, concern for humankind, and be content or at peace with yourself that you are a person with integrity, compassion & empathy.

and for the record, i am far from a troll.. i am an (almost) 10 year veteran of this board.

i know, right?

:eyeroll: :sigh:

Give of yourself freely - out of love, care, concern for humankind, and be content or at peace with yourself that you are a person with integrity, compassion & empathy.

However, it's a letdown to find out someone you think highly of lacks basic manners and consideration for others. If I care enough for a friend to spend $150 on something I know they like and find useful, the selfishness indicated by the failure to acknowledge makes me think a little less of them.

Both of these views are right, IMO.

In every close relationship, be it friendship, family, or romantic, there are always valid expectations of simple politeness, respect and consideration. We can certainly give freely to those we love, but there is always a need for some form of reciprocity, even if that reciprocity is a simple "Thank you". If the Give & Take is a constant one-way street (I'm always giving and you're always taking), then that is not a relationship. It's exploitation.

Truly unconditional love and giving don't exist. As with any utopian existence, they're ultimately unattainable....but we keep trying to get there..... :sundog:

i know, right?

:eyeroll: :sigh:

You'd be the hottest troll around if you were one though...

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/PROBLEM_065b30_2416766.jpg