New Floyd ?!?!?

custom55

More details about the new album: http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/more-details-on-pink-floyds-new-album-no-roger-waters-no-plans-for-tour/

So looks like Roger won't be on it. I really hoped he would be, but The Division Bell was fantastic so I'm not all that worried about his absence affecting the quality of the music.

• Like 6

Seems rather justified that the new Floyd album will be without Waters since this album was from sessions around The Division Bell era in '94. Can't say I'm a hardcore Floyd fan (I'm a slightly above a casual fan at best), but the idea of anything new by the Floyd immediately peaks my interest.
  • Like 1

Oh, it's a sessions album. Good, because without Waters is one thing but without the late Wright? Fugetaboutit!

Right i wasn't gonna buy if it was brand new. Cause Wright has passed. But a sessions album softens the blow a little.

Mick

• Like 1

Yes, great, something new from later-era Floyd. Of course I will buy.

However, as a life-long old-school PF fan, I have to say that later-era Floyd was always a bit hollow for me. I mean, I love David Gilmour's playing as much as any. I think The Division Bell was a great album. But, for me, it fell just short of Waters-era Floyd. Didn't quite have the same magic and is more comparable to a David Gilmour solo album. Great still, but not magic. I saw PF live twice, and it was quite a spectacle.

Also, I am really not crazy about Polly Samson's lyrics. A couple of songs were ok lyrically, but more had cringe-worthy lines. In general, TDB was an improvement over AMLoR (which was even more removed from Classic Floyd; at least they made an effort on TDB to not just make another David Gilmour solo album with Nick Mason on drums...and actually had Rick on it!)

So, while I am interested in this, I just can't get elated for it. Will be happy to have it though! :)

• Like 2

While David Gilmour's playing on "Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell" is just stellar,

when you read a descriptive word like "ambient" you just know that it is Richard Wright's keyboards that are going to be the true star of this release.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Rickwright.jpg/220px-Rickwright.jpg

• Like 2

While David Gilmour's playing on "Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell" is just stellar,

when you read a descriptive word like "ambient" you just know that it is Richard Wright's keyboards that are going to be the true star of this release.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Rickwright.jpg/220px-Rickwright.jpg

I'll say it again.

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/thumbnails/shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

• Like 1

Since it's been described as 'ambient' I'm going to guess a bunch of stuff like Marooned from Division Bell. I'm purchasing.

BTW, that song won best rock instrumental Grammy for that year if I remember correctly.

Edited by driventotheedge

Since it's been described as 'ambient' I'm going to guess a bunch of stuff like Marooned from Division Bell. I'm purchasing.

BTW, that song won best rock instrumental Grammy for that year if I remember correctly.

And it beat :rush:'s Leave That Thing Alone. And as much as I love :rush:, Marooned deserved to win.

Yes, great, something new from later-era Floyd. Of course I will buy.

However, as a life-long old-school PF fan, I have to say that later-era Floyd was always a bit hollow for me. I mean, I love David Gilmour's playing as much as any. I think The Division Bell was a great album. But, for me, it fell just short of Waters-era Floyd. Didn't quite have the same magic and is more comparable to a David Gilmour solo album. Great still, but not magic. I saw PF live twice, and it was quite a spectacle.

Also, I am really not crazy about Polly Samson's lyrics. A couple of songs were ok lyrically, but more had cringe-worthy lines. In general, TDB was an improvement over AMLoR (which was even more removed from Classic Floyd; at least they made an effort on TDB to not just make another David Gilmour solo album with Nick Mason on drums...and actually had Rick on it!)

So, while I am interested in this, I just can't get elated for it. Will be happy to have it though! :)

Indeed. It's my understanding that Nick Mason doesn't actually play on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Jim Keltner and Carmine Appice sat in for those sessions. The Division Bell sessions featured Dave, Rick, Nick, and Guy Pratt at the core, similar to the classic era. This might explain why I love TDB and can barely tolerate AMLoR.

Nick and Rick did both play on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, but both had to be helped along as they were very rusty. Dave Gilmour said both of them were back to top form towards the end of the tour.

Pumped for the new album.

I can't wait for it as i love Pink Floyd very very much as i love Rush they are half simurar to each other sometimes!!!!!!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/713FDVjpbqL._SL1500_.jpg

Pink Floyd Share Cover Art + Full Details of New ‘Endless River’ Album

Calling it a "return to the creative principles" of ‘Echoes,’ ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond,’ and ‘Animals,’

Pink Floyd have revealed the cover art, track listing, and release date for their new album ‘The Endless River.’

Culled from the same 1993 sessions that produced 1994s ‘The Division Bell,’ the 18-track ‘Endless River’ is shaped from a period that found Floyd members

David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright jamming on "more than a hundred pieces of music" and then finishing the arrangements with producer Bob Ezrin and a group of studio vets that included keyboard player Jon Carin, bassist Guy Pratt, and percussionist Gary Wallis.

Newly augmented by additional overdubs from Gilmour and Mason, as well as archival performances from Wright, who

died in 2008, the end result is a hybrid collection of new Pink Floyd music that Gilmour says "feels right" in 2014. "‘The Endless River’ has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 ‘Division Bell’ sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album," he explained. "Over the last year we’ve added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."

Gilmour and Mason discussed the project for a cover story in the Nov. 2014 issue of

Uncut, revealing that the album includes some organ work recorded by Wright in 1969, boasts an overall atmospheric tone, and was partially shaped by input from Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera, who listened to the tapes and offered his thoughts at Gilmour’s request. The interview also includes lyrics from the sole vocal track on ‘The Endless River,’ titled ‘Louder Than Words,’ which offers a poignant overview of the band’s tumultuous history with lines like "We bitch and we fight / But this thing that we do / It’s louder than words / The sum of our parts / The beat of our hearts / It’s louder than words."

Promising "mellifluous keyboards, jazz-tinged drums, musique concrete, ethereal vocals, and distinctive, emotional lead guitar," ‘The Endless River’ is due for release on Nov. 10.

Pink Floyd, ‘The Endless River’ Track Listing

‘Things Left Unsaid’

‘It’s What We Do’

‘Ebb and Flow’

‘Sum’

‘Skins’

‘Unsung’

‘Anisina’

‘The Lost Art of Conversation’

‘On Noodle Street’

‘Night Light’

‘Allons-y (1)’