Best Geddy Vocal- Tell Us Which Song You Think Is Best!

Segue Myles

There may already be a thread like this. O well.

I will start with a list of MY favourites:

The Speed Of Love

Ghost Of A Chance

Chain Lightning

Limelight

Available Light

Bastille Day

Nobody's Hero

If I had to pick just one song from that list?

Possibly...

Available Light. That soaring vocal, that gentle melody. Sends shivers up my spine...

What are your favourites/favourite?

Edited by Segue Myles

Available Light. Definitely. Runners up are The Pass and Chain Lightning- really, though I don't like the record in full, Presto has some great vocal performances. Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

Available Light. Definately.

Glad I am not alone!

Segue, this is hard. He really does have an exceptional singing voice. His range is all over the place.

I like his harmonies on Time Stand Still. But you didn't list that.

His voice on Ghost of a Chance is so different.

You are right though about Available Light. He really can hit those notes. His voice was different by the end of the eighties. A lot stronger and more full.

Can't choose though. There are too many songs

Segue, this is hard. He really does have an exceptional singing voice. His range is all over the place.

You are right though about Available Light. He really can hit those notes. His voice was different by the end of the eighties. A lot stronger and more full.

Don't worry about my list! This isn't a poll!

And I agree, his voice attracted me from day one (it is so unusual).

I actually really love his voice on the debut album. Just raw, youthful and energetic exuberance! Suited the style perfectly...

I think his voice especially stands out on Presto and Counterparts...say what you like about the style/songs/priduction, but his voice was really emotional!
  • Like 2

Available Light. Definitely. Runners up are The Pass and Chain Lightning- really, though I don't like the record in full, Presto has some great vocal performances.

His voice elevates Presto to near MP greatness in my eyes...a few shoddy moments in songwriting here and there, but his voice is stellar!

The Pass is great, I love his style on Show Don't Tell, and Presto is beautifully sung...

I think his voice just kept getting better and better throughout the eighties and nineties. That's not to say it wasn't good in the seventies, but the more he sang, the better he got, which is to be expected I guess.

So, that's my answer.

• Like 1

PoW and CA for me. HF slays all

Headlong Flight...o my I agree 100%!

• Like 1

Available Light. Definitely. Runners up are The Pass and Chain Lightning- really, though I don't like the record in full, Presto has some great vocal performances.

I'm thinking that Presto and RTB would be well represented here. While not great albums and both suffering from production problems instrument-wise, the vocals are perfect throughout.
  • Like 1

I'm not crazy about the song, but Bravado has really nice vocals.

Exactly. Just a tiny bit of gravel in the voice, with a melody in a perfect register for Ged.
  • Like 1

I'll have to make a point to go listen to these and see if you are right..... :)

Edit: I am going to go with Tears in the meantime....

Edited by Narpski

Considering his voice has changed considerably over the years, I don't feel comfortable picking an all time one.

Screeching Geddy (1974-1978): 2112

Mainstream Geddy (1980-1991): All of Power Windows

Today's Geddy (1994-Present): Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Earthshine, The Larger Bowl, Headlong Flight, The Garden

2112 is a hallmark performance of 70's Geddy, showing his ability to scream over the heavens as well as sing in a "normal" register throughout all the parts.

Power Windows has probably the best vocal melodies I've ever heard. Those who have said before that Power Windows is a "Geddy album" are correct. Marathon and Mystic Rhythms in particular are highlights.

Nobody's Hero and Everyday Glory have some great vocal lines, Earthshine shows how well his voice had held up at age 50. Snakes and Arrows has some good vocal melodies, but The Larger Bowl stood out to me as the best. Headlong Flight is just a spectacular performance for everyone's respective instrument plus the vocals, and The Garden is beautiful for his voice.

I'll have to make a point to go listen to these and see if you are right..... :)

I think you may prefer Presto to HYF or any of the nineties albums...

Well this is a tough one. 2112 definitely for young Geddy. For middle range Geddy I'd have to say that I think his voice sounds the best and most mature on Counterparts but to pick only one song is too tough. For more recent Geddy I'd say it would be something from Snakes & Arrows. Maybe Faithless or The Larger Bowl.

PoW and CA for me. HF slays all

Headlong Flight...o my I agree 100%!

It's got it all: emotion, power, nuance, and the (wait for it) banshee wails of a badass singer. It's all Geddy, in all his vocal glory.

• Like 3

For me it's between Cygnus X-1 Book II, Witch Hunt (from P/G Live), and Xanadu. They are all such beautiful and emotional vocal performances. I also love The Speed of Love, Available Light, Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still, 2112, Resist (R in R) and Natural Science Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2