So I Have Worked Something Out...

Segue Myles

..Rush may just be the best band I have ever heard, ever.

Three years a fan, and they are taking over the affections I have had for every other band: The Beatles, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac....LACUNA COIL!

Believe me, this is the most unexpected thing...its been a revelation to finally discover my own special band, a band who I have to say has a stupid number of albums I deem perfect, and a fair few close to perfection.

Perfect:

AFTK

PeW

MP

p/g

Close to perfect:

CoS

Hem

PoW

HYF

CA

Very Good:

FBN

Sig

Presto

RTB

CP

T4E

Feedback

Average:

Rush

VT

SA

Looking at those figures, no other band that I have love for has this many albums that I hold so very dear. I have yet to explore their live albums, but the snippets I have heard here and there have been revelatory.

I know this is a pointless thread, perhaps an element of attention seeking. But I have to give Rush their due: they have transformed my taste in music, how I see the world, and how they opened my eyes to the wonder of classic rock in a way not even The Beatles or Fleetwood Mac could have...

...and I suffer badly from depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Their music is a constant joy and a relief from my mental anguish (I am more ill than anyone here realises, because I hide behind a constant shiny surface veneer only those close to me can see past).

The nice thing is, this forum has proven Rush fans come in all shapes and forms, backgrounds and personal interests. I love listening to older members love for bands of their era (Narpski, ReGorLaTroy and Lorraine deserve special mention here), and it gives me joy when newer fans share their ever growing and expanding experiences with this band, considering I know of no one else in my life who likes them.

So I want to give Rush some well deserved love. No other band moves me like Rush, and I am now at a point when I couldn't deny it if I tried: Rush are my favourite band, possibly ever.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 14

...and I suffer badly from depression. Their music is a constant joy and a relief from my mental anguish (I am more ill than anyone realises, because I hide behind a constant shiny surface veneer).

:hug2:

Let Alex and his guitar, and Geddy's voice, wrap themselves around your soul.

• Like 4

Awesome post! I agree with you! I also have OCD. But it seems that it's not like yours.

Mine is very much mental, I live constantly paranoid on how I am viewed, very aware of all my failings, and obsess constantly as to how to get through my life in a way that is, how to put it, normal?

OCD is bizarre...I know a handful of sufferers and no two appear alike (arg my obsessions are ridiculous...who gets scared over the thought their teeth are shrinking?).

• Like 1

Very well said Segue :clap: but the "possibly" in the last sentence :tsk:

You obviously have no idea how much I love Lacuna Coil hahaha!

• Like 1

Segue, what do you think of Geddy's solo album?

Victor and My Favourite Headache...are they worth checking out?

Awesome post! I agree with you! I also have OCD. But it seems that it's not like yours.

Mine is very much mental, I live constantly paranoid on how I am viewed, very aware of all my failings, and obsess constantly as to how to get through my life in a way that is, how to put it, normal?

OCD is bizarre...I know a handful of sufferers and no two appear alike (arg my obsessions are ridiculous...who gets scared over the thought their teeth are shrinking?).

Maybe were not so different then! I constantly worry about what I do and how others view my actions, I'm paranoid about if people talk about me etc, I'm also paranoid about if I don't do something, something bad will happen. Much more

• Like 1

How come no "Live Albums"?

ATWAS is the launching pad!! :D

I wanted to take in and digest the albums first...twenty is a lot to go through and a lot of them were growers. Before Rush I had only listened to prog in the formfof Opeth and Mastodon, and they are not very similar...

I plan to start collecting them next, along with the various dvds!

• Like 1

The album is worth checking out. But that is only my opinion and, speaking for myself, I was very pleasantly surprised. Most solo efforts aren't that good. Listening to Geddy's made me realize just how much talent the man has.

• Like 3

Maybe were not so different then! I constantly worry about what I do and how others view my actions, I'm paranoid about if people talk about me etc, I'm also paranoid about if I don't do something, something bad will happen. Much more

The worst thing is I am such a happy person with severe depressive tendencies made worse by my obsessive nature...its very confusing in my head! I may even have bi-polar and have been suspected of a very mild form of autism...soooo...woop go Segue!

I just HAVE to be different. *sadly*

The album is worth checking out. But that is only my opinion and, speaking for myself, I was very pleasantly surprised. Most solo efforts aren't that good. Listening to Geddy's made me realize just how much talent the man has.

He wrote Cinderella Man...I have the faith!

• Like 1

The worst thing is I am such a happy person with severe depressive tendencies made worse by my obsessive nature...its very confusing in my head! I may even have bi-polar and have been suspected of a very mild form of autism...soooo...woop go Segue!

I think most of us here are "different", which is why we are here. :codger:

• Like 3

I think most of us here are "different", which is why we are here. :codger:

...Roll The Bones...

yeah I know thats why I love this place, Toto bashing and all!

How come no "Live Albums"?

ATWAS is the launching pad!! :D

I wanted to take in and digest the albums first...twenty is a lot to go through and a lot of them were growers. Before Rush I had only listened to prog in the formfof Opeth and Mastodon, and they are not very similar...

I plan to start collecting them next, along with the various dvds!

That's cool,

I can still remember hearing 2112 at a party back in 1976. It was interesting but I didn't think much about it at the time. It wasn't until ATWAS that changed all of that. :rush:

• Like 2

That first part sounds like any young person I know.

My Favorite Headache is really awesome, if you enjoy Geddy's vocals, especially. But Victor is just....bleeeeh.

• Like 1

My Favorite Headache is really awesome, if you enjoy Geddy's vocals, especially. But Victor is just....bleeeeh.

MFH sounds a lot like Rush with strings. Wait....

• Like 1

My Favourite Headache is. Victor isn't. JMO

Good post, Segue. Reading that made me happy for you. Now stop bein' a damn fool and put on a live record!

I agree. Interesting how the Les Claypool influence is there.

• Like 1