When is an Epic simply a collection of songs?

Mr. Not

When the writer says so? Sorry, I can't take that.

I've seen a comment or two here about the fountain of lamneth, and how it's more favorable as separate songs, or makes more sense that way - something like that. I see it as a full song personally, but when I read that comment it got me thinking that just because something is presented as an epic or a full extended song doesn't mean you have to accept it as such. And that's a pretty liberating concept.

So what's the criteria for an epic?

Recurring sections and patterns, yes... Definitely. That one's easy and is examined on individual basis.

Consistency is important too - each of the parts being good and fitting within the song

Now what about the lyrics? I like it best when it's a sensible formatted story: a prime example would be 2112 here.

What about a nonsensical story? I'm fine with that too, though it's slightly less preferable. example: pick a Yes song!

or does even just have to have an underlying theme? Now this I have a harder time accepting.

So what are some "epics" or "extended songs" I don't consider one piece?

Porcupine Tree's The Incident (hardly any musical recurrences, and an underlying lyrical theme) and Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (an intro/reprise, and an underlying lyrical theme).

If I were to consider these as whole songs, I'd have to consider Alice Cooper's "Goes to Hell" and "From the Inside" concept albums as single full songs too (no musical recurrences, but a sensible formatted story as the songs progress). This is all by my own criteria of course.

What say you?

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Something is epic in my book if the feel I get while listening to it feels somewhat like how I imagine an outer body experience.

CoS to Hemispheres all have songs that fit that bill...

I think there is a clear distinction between "epic" and "suite". Suite would be a collection of individual songs stuck together to create a story, while an epic utilizes transitions more and has reoccurring themes throughout.
  • Like 1

what are some "epics" or "extended songs" I don't consider one piece?

Porcupine Tree's The Incident (hardly any musical recurrences, and an underlying lyrical theme) and Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (an intro/reprise, and an underlying lyrical theme).

If I were to consider these as whole songs, I'd have to consider Alice Cooper's "Goes to Hell" and "From the Inside" concept albums as single full songs too (no musical recurrences, but a sensible formatted story as the songs progress). This is all by my own criteria of course.

Any differs here? I'm acting against the artists' intent.