What was the real reason why John Rutsey left Rush?

YYZumbi

What is really the real reason why John Rutsey left Rush after their first album?

I have heard so much different reasons. Some are saying he left because he was sick and couldent do tours. Other is saying it is because he liked different kind of music-style then Geddy and Alex did. And I have also heard other things.

So what is really the real reason?

Thanks.

Possibly all those reasons...

He wasn't interested in playing more sophisticated rock music and certainly wasn't as ambitious as the other two. I believe he didn't lead a "healthy lifestyle" and that exacerbated his diabetes.

Did he go onto do anything else musically?

Did he go onto do anything else musically?

Not sure but apparently he was a keen body builder. I seem to remember Lifeson saying that Rutsey competed as an amateur body builder.

They said the tour would have killed him. His diabetes was pretty bad and he wasn't taking care of himself at home. Road life would have absolutely killed him.

He was a very good drummer. They did not have Neil to compare him to yet.

They said the tour would have killed him. His diabetes was pretty bad and he wasn't taking care of himself at home. Road life would have absolutely killed him.

Rutsey? A very good drummer?

I always thought John left the band because he was still finding his "way," but when he needed some love he tried to take himself a friend (being in the mood for some Geddy) when Geddy jumped up and said, "Hey man I felt that!! I know what you're doing!!! You tried to put it in here again!!!" when he was promptly kicked out, back to being a working man which is precisely what he had been before and after his stint in Rush.
  • Like 6

Spaghetti Lee rhymes with Funny.

Anyone else see the irony?

It would've been a blessing in disguise.

Now, back to the cryptic post.....

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is the last song on "Trespass."

Well, why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Spaghetti Lee, I am bored.

BRING THE CRAZY, I WILL POP THE CORN!!

• Like 1

I thought everyone had him blocked. I know I do. :LOL:

• Like 1

I thought everyone had him blocked. I know I do. :LOL:

How do you block a pleb?

Whatever the reason, Rush's time would have been short-lived if he stayed. So I guess it's good that he left (or got kicked out, whatever).

I read something recently from an old interview where Alex says that John just gave up drums after he was let go from the band. Plus that he had hard feeling about it for a long time. That's sad.

I read something recently from an old interview where Alex says that John just gave up drums after he was let go from the band. Plus that he had hard feeling about it for a long time. That's sad.

That breaks my heart, he was a good drummer. It's always sad to see someone give up on a hobby.

• Like 1

Rutsey? A very good drummer?

I would say so. Just from a playing standpoint, he's the kind of drummer that a lot of people would want. He had solid time, he could groove, and he didn't overplay. That's like, the trifecta of good drumming traits. I think that he probably could've had a decent career in drumming if he would have kept it up.

• Like 5