Armor and Sword - what do you think of the song?

treeduck

What do you think of the song ARMOR AND SWORD?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the song ARMOR AND SWORD?

• A brilliant tune - one of RUSH's top five tracks ever! And METAL!
    • Hate it - a drawn-out droning mess!
    • An excellent track, right up there with Red Barchetta
    • ASSMASTER AND SWORD FIGHTERS = gay
    • A very good tune, definitely one of RUSH's top 30 tracks
    • A weak tune, where's the melody?
    • A solid track, not their best but decent
    • Mediocre
    • It's fuckking shit!
    • Average
    • Boring
    • I like it but it's no 2112 or Xanadu
    • It's just ok, the best on S&A
    • I jerk off to this tune
    • I like the song but I hate Peart's atheist lyrics
    • I think it matches up to the Analog Kid and A Farewell to Kings
    • The heaviest song by RUSH since 1978!
    • It's great I'd put it up there with Hemispheres
    • eat my ass out - all you can anal
    • this song is like ass milk

It's a boring trudgefest that melts into the other boring, mid-tempo trudge-fests on this album. The lyrics are ok.
  • Like 1

Absolutely love this song. Best one on S&A (which I also like very much). Loved it at first listen when my dad bought the album. Really glad I got to see it live on the tour.

I like Geddy's chordal bass lines throughout the song, and when paired with Alex's acoustic guitar, it sounds even better.

Exactly. The bass lines always draw my attention.

• Like 1

I like it a good amount. It's probably my 4th favorite song of S&A (behind The Main Monkey Business, Working Them Angels, The Way the Wind Blows). I think it's a good tempo song to dance with someone (if choreographed properly), despite them stating that they are not a band to dance off to (which is true, but I think this song may be an exception).

a dance tune? Now that was something that I was not expecting. :)

When i first heard the song was like i'd heard it a thousand times already for some reason. Like it was a great classic rush track that i was just slightly bored with. Like The Trees or something.

Sounds as if it had already been written for years and the band just went through the motions of laying it down.

Beautifully composed though. Is actually very slow but comes across hard and rockin.

Compared to the rest of the album, it is an okay song, but that's not saying much considering the rest of the album.

I'd be interested to see your song-by-song analysis - just a phrase for each song would do. But then, that would probably force you to have to listen to it again, and I wouldn't want to put you through that if it would be painful.

• Like 1

Compared to the rest of the album, it is an okay song, but that's not saying much considering the rest of the album.

I'd be interested to see your song-by-song analysis - just a phrase for each song would do. But then, that would probably force you to have to listen to it again, and I wouldn't want to put you through that if it would be painful.

Are you talking about S&A? The thing with that album ,and I don't know whose "brilliant" idea it was, with all of Geddy's poppish "wooo hoo woo's" and assorted other silly stuff...do they have something equivalent to a director when they are recording?

I will be honest. To me, it sounds like they were lazy when they did that album - borrow a little from this old song and a little from one we did in the nineties and maybe do this like we did in the eighties - that type of stuff.

Then I feel bad saying stuff like this because who the hell am I? And could I do better even if I tried with all my might? No, I couldn't.

But S&A, with few exceptions, does nothing for me, and I think it is one of their, if not the, worst album they ever did.

Are you talking about S&A? The thing with that album ,and I don't know whose "brilliant" idea it was, with all of Geddy's poppish "wooo hoo woo's" and assorted other silly stuff...do they have something equivalent to a director when they are recording?

I will be honest. To me, it sounds like they were lazy when they did that album - borrow a little from this old song and a little from one we did in the nineties and maybe do this like we did in the eighties - that type of stuff.

Then I feel bad saying stuff like this because who the hell am I? And could I do better even if I tried with all my might? No, I couldn't.

But S&A, with few exceptions, does nothing for me, and I think it is one of their, if not the, worst album they ever did.

I think you've explained your opinion well. Whether they were lazy . . . well, I don't know. It sounds to me that they pushed themselves pretty hard during the making, and their producer pushed them to get the best performances. They definitely have a different way of working now. If Snakes is the album they had to do in order to get to Clockwork Angels, then I will sort of cherish it for that reason. But to me it is sort of a hit and miss album. I think Alex is stretching out a bit with some different approaches to guitar (different tunings, for example). I like about half of the album; the other half I have a tendency to skip unless I'm zoned out and don't feel like moving...

• Like 1

Snakes and Arrows is really poor by Rush standards. Sorry, but it comes across as very well played elevator prog, if such a genre were to exist.

Vapor Trails is currently blowing my mind, possibly more than Ckockwork Angels ever did. I just find everything about SA forced, the emotion, the performances. Its tight, compact, suffocating and rarely do the songs, if they ever do, find time to breathe. Its very clinical.

I will go as far as saying this is the greatest album I have ever heard that comes right at the bottom of the pile of the band in question. If every band had weak material this strong, well, it would be lovely!

• Like 1

Waah?!? "Vapor Trails is currently blowing my mind, possibly more than Ckockwork Angels ever did." You ARE a difficult one to predict. Glad you are finally seeing the light. :ebert: I'm not too excited though; next week Presto will be the greatest ;) .

I'm hoping that there will be another album, which might put Clockwork Angels into some perspective, but if CA were to be their last album, I think it's a hell of a great album to end on.

Back to the thread, though I think it a little plodding, I like the song. Don't consider the lyrics nearly as infantile as BU2B. This is his supposedly "atheistic" album, though I don't see that, he's just being critical of what he sees as ideological religiosity, or fundamentalism, I think (newsflash, I suppose). In general I think S&A lyrics are fairly thoughtful (eh, Toymaker ;) ), apart from that asinine "from the Middle East to the Middle West" line. I really love the production on S&A, including this song. Find the music MUCH more interesting than CA, though the songs aren't as strong as VT (which mostly rocks). Agree with Lorraine on the silly woo-hoos. Love A Larger Bowl despite (I cringe at the "Woah oh oh woah oh oh oh oh" beginning). But, I can overlook a few missteps. Not a great album but a strong collection of songs well-produced, and Armor and Sword is one of the stronger ones. Neil packaged some tried and true observations of human nature into a reasonably well-crafted song. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Waah?!? "Vapor Trails is currently blowing my mind, possibly more than Ckockwork Angels ever did." You ARE a difficult one to predict. Glad you are finally seeing the light. :ebert: I'm not too excited though; next week Presto will be the greatest ;) .

CoS-Presto, CP, VT and CA are all on my list of desert island discs. No lie, I love all eras of Rush, and VT is the latest edition to my pile of indispensable Rush.

As for Presto, one of my very favourite albums. VT is not comparable, as it is completely different to Presto. In fact, VT is a one of a kind style album!

I don't really have a clear favourite Rush album anymore.

• Like 1

Best on S&A and one of their Top 30. It has a lot of depth and Nick nailed the production on it. The guitars are layered marvelously.