Familiar songs you don't know the names of...

Blue J

But the song which I love now by The Moody Blues was "Nights In White Satan". My brother and I would go to bed with the radio on. AM back then of course. He would crash in seconds. This song would come on and scare the sh** out of me! :LOL: Maybe there is a monster under the bed or in the closet. I would go over and sleep with him. :P

Edit: Thinking about it now,

I believe it was related to watching "Dark Shadows". Plus, if there was a storm outside. That made it even worse. :LOL:

When I was a kid I thought that song was pretty spooky as well.

I loved Nights In White Satin when I was a kid. Wicked good tune. I wore that song out in high school.

NIWS is probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written. You know what music was like back then, so maybe you can appreciate the impact that album (Days of Future Passed) had on us in the late sixties. Nothing before had even come close to it.

The only other song that has had the same impact on me as NIWS is Xanadu. :wub:

But this thread is a good idea. Label a thread whatever and discuss everything and anything but what the subject is supposed to be in it. Makes for a good cover. :LOL:

I just heard a song over the PA in a restaurant that I remember from when I was a wee little one- mid to late 70's, Fleetwood Mac- the only way I can describe it is from the last line of the refrain-

"People out there, turning music into gold"...

But what is the NAME of that song?? I don't know it, for the life of me. It was my favorite song when I was four or five years old, but...?

I'm sure some people here could tell me.

I'm also sure that there are a bunch of other songs like this for the rest of us- familiar songs that you just can't identify completely.

Right?

All you had to do was a google search of the lyrics and you would've found out the song title quicker than posting and asking here. I'm just sayin :cool:

I haven't googled anything in two or three years. I actually shudder anytime I hear 'google' used as a verb. But that's just one guy's opinion.

Besides, in this case, Narpski = Google, for me. And I much prefer that. Thanks, Narp!

I actually had an inkling that it might have been called Gold, but then I thought...no, that's too easy!

And I really did think the male voice was Lindsey Buckingham, hence Fleetwood Mac. (Or I guess it could have been just Buckingham/Nicks, too).

Buckingham did sing backing vocals with Nicks on the song "Gold"

Yes. The FM stations back in the late sixties/seventies were notorious for playing a string of songs and never telling you what the title/artist was.

But there was one they played from time to time that had a line: Tinkerbell's mind is a crazy machine at the best.

I never found out who did it or what the name of the song was.

Another one: "I"ll ride my stallion if you want me to but I'd really rather walk with you."

To this day, well over forty years later, I have no idea who sang either song, but those lyrics are still in my mind.

Tinkerbell's Mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRCxknOZgE

I'd never heard of that band, or the song, but I gotta say...

that kicked a little bit of ass.

I just read that they formed in NYC in 1965 with an African-American lead singer. Interesting!

I was in a record shop one time, awhile back (I worked in record shops for about six years, earlier in my life, but this was after that time), and there was another customer who was looking for a song she didn't know the name of, and she asked the guy behind the counter. But not knowing the name of it, she just started singing it- "Gimme the beat boys, and free my soul"...and the guy just stared at her, blankly. I was standing right there, and I said, "That's called Drift Away, and it's by Dobie Gray. I think it's on one of those "Have a Nice Day, Sounds of the 70s compilations," and then I took her over to show her where to find it, and amazingly, they did have it in stock.

The guy behind the counter just shrugged his shoulders at me and said, "Thanks, man."

• Like 2

I was in a record shop one time, awhile back (I worked in record shops for about six years, earlier in my life, but this was after that time), and there was another customer who was looking for a song she didn't know the name of, and she asked the guy behind the counter. But not knowing the name of it, she just started singing it- "Gimme the beat boys, and free my soul"...and the guy just stared at her, blankly. I was standing right there, and I said, "That's called Drift Away, and it's by Dobie Gray. I think it's on one of those "Have a Nice Day, Sounds of the 70s compilations," and then I took her over to show her where to find it, and amazingly, they did have it in stock.

The guy behind the counter just shrugged his shoulders at me and said, "Thanks, man."

It's not on the 10 volumes I have. I never did get around to buying the other 15 volumes. :D