Alex sings...Geddy's voice is heard...?

toymaker

Here's an entire scanner sourced bootleg from the Test For Echo Tour (this bootleg happens to be the night where they filmed the ill-fated Different Stages DVD) where you can hear Alex singing gracefully, particularly during the songs Dreamline, Stick It Out, Driven, Nobody's Hero, Freewill, Roll The Bones and Force Ten.

He doesn't have a "lead singer" voice, but his background vocals sound just fine. He's a way better singer than I'll ever be! I think that Alex should get put a bit higher in the live mix. That way they can rely less on the prerecorded Geddy choir.

I agree. Both Alex and Steve Howe don't have particularly amazing lead singer vocals, but once you add the entire band together, their backing vocals makes the mix feel complete and whole IMO. The FOH soundmen don't need to raise the volume on Alex's mic as high as Geddy's but they should raise it just enough that we can subtly hear that it's actually him singing rather than him triggering a vocal sample on the MIDI pedal.

• Like 1

Here's an entire scanner sourced bootleg from the Test For Echo Tour (this bootleg happens to be the night where they filmed the ill-fated Different Stages DVD) where you can hear Alex singing gracefully, particularly during the songs Dreamline, Stick It Out, Driven, Nobody's Hero, Freewill, Roll The Bones and Force Ten.

Hey, thanks for this link. I was at that show, so it'll be cool to have a listen.