Alex sings...Geddy's voice is heard...?

toymaker

Does anyone understand how the technology works whereby Alex steps to the microphone, sings along, and magically sounds like Geddy Lee singing harmonies? Is he just triggering a pre-recorded part? Is it just done for show?

Yup, all for show. When he starts to sing you'll also see Geddy stepping on a pedal to trigger the harmony.

Alex has sung some parts before but when they sound like Geddy, they are Geddy.

Edited by KennyLee

I'm pretty sure they just turn his mic waaaay down and he sobs along with a Pre recorded Geddy vocal

Yup, all for show. When he starts to sing you'll also see Geddy stepping on a pedal to trigger the harmony.

Alex has sung some parts before but when they sound like Geddy, they are Geddy.

It seems to me that even Geddy Lee thinks it's kind of ridiculous to mime along with the pre-recorded part—if you watch Earthshine, for example, he sort of makes a half-assed (so it seems—it's like he's grinning) effort to "sing" along with the pre-chorus.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks. I've never joined one before. Haven't got a clue yet what I'm doing!

You are doing better than I did. :LOL:

I shouldn't be doing it at all right now. I'm supposed to be grading papers.

• Like 1

You are doing better than I did. :LOL:

Me too.... :cheers: and welcome
  • Like 1

I'm over 1,700 posts in and equally clueless! Just avoid talking bad about Chris Squire and you'll be fine. Right Narp?

Does anyone understand how the technology works whereby Alex steps to the microphone, sings along, and magically sounds like Geddy Lee singing harmonies? Is he just triggering a pre-recorded part? Is it just done for show?

Welcome to The Rush Forum, toymaker! :hi:

• Like 1

They probably figure that 99% of the audience isn't going to know the difference.

And they're probably right. :huh:

And 99% of those who do probably don't care.

Welcome to The Rush Forum, toymaker! :hi:

Welcome, TM! :D

• Like 1

I've met people who INSIST that Alex does sing, and that he has a great voice! :rfl:

It's been a while since I listened to Victor, but do I remember correctly that he sings part of one song on that album (At the End) and maybe sounds a tiny bit like Robert Whatshisname from The Cure?

Apparently he really, really loves singing, but he's just not very good at it. So he's probably singing his brains out, but they turn off his microphone to spare the audience.

Although he used to do a lot more actual background vocals.

Apparently he really, really loves singing, but he's just not very good at it. So he's probably singing his brains out, but they turn off his microphone to spare the audience.

This is what I was told by a friend of mine who did some local sound crew for Rush back in the early 80s. He said that, at least at the time, Alex didn't even know he wasn't mic'd :LOL:

• Like 1

Here's an entire scanner sourced bootleg from the Test For Echo Tour (this bootleg happens to be the night where they filmed the ill-fated Different Stages DVD) where you can hear Alex singing gracefully, particularly during the songs Dreamline, Stick It Out, Driven, Nobody's Hero, Freewill, Roll The Bones and Force Ten.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Here's an entire scanner sourced bootleg from the Test For Echo Tour (this bootleg happens to be the night where they filmed the ill-fated Different Stages DVD) where you can hear Alex singing gracefully, particularly during the songs Dreamline, Stick It Out, Driven, Nobody's Hero, Freewill, Roll The Bones and Force Ten.

He doesn't have a "lead singer" voice, but his background vocals sound just fine. He's a way better singer than I'll ever be! I think that Alex should get put a bit higher in the live mix. That way they can rely less on the prerecorded Geddy choir.