Favorite live version of Where's My Thing?: 1992 or 2013?

jnoble

WMT is actually my favorite Rush instrumental and the live version from the RTB tour...with the spacey intro....I've always LOVED. Their live sound at the time...Ged's poppy Wal bass and Alex's saturated guitar sound really worked for that song. Wish that intro was on the studio version. Anyway, while I was happy they brought it back I was disappointed in the way it sounded last tour and the arrangement... Alex played his riff in a choppy way and didn't play that little three note melody during the chorus that goes along with the keyboards and Geddy was overplaying like crazy with his overdriven sounding Fender bass. It sounded too heavy and just didn't do anything for me like the 'Bones version did.

But that's my opinion, what do you guys think?

Edited by jnoble

I prefer today's version.

Always hated the Wal bass. It suited the music in the time it was used but I'm glad it went away after RTB. Geddy belongs on that distinct Fender (or Rickenbacker!). Alex's style of playing it, I could go either way. I always saw that song as more of a drummer's song, so I was quite pleased when they put the drum solo in the middle of it.

• Like 4

I liked how Alex sounded playing it on the last tour on the 355. It's interesting to watch the DVD and hear how much better that guitar sounds then the LP.

The ES-355 has more balls than any other guitar he's ever played.

LOVE the RTB tour version. I miss the galloping pick scraping in the first guitar part like the studio version and old live versions. Did Alex cut corners to save wrist energy? - or maybe they changed it to sound better?! But Geddy's bass playing (and tone) is exponentially better in the new version.

As far as guitars, I think his Les Paul's have more balls than the ES-335. YYZ, La Villa and One Little Victory sounded worse with less output from the pickups on the ES-335 live.

Both are great, but that's me being biased cause I love WMT and to hear it live was part of my bucket list. However, I'd give a SLIGHT edge to the RTB Tour version for one reason only. Minus Geddy's bass intro and Neil's mini-solo, I thought Alex kinda phoned in the CA Tour version to be honest. Not galloping the intro chords made it awkward sounding, to the point that if I didn't recognize the song's synths, I would've initially not recognize the song. I also loved that synth part that Alex would play along with on the guitar, which he didn't do on the CA Tour.

That aside, if you combined Geddy and Neil's part today, Alex's playing from the RTB tour with the rig he has today, the ambient intro and Monty Python sample from the RTB tour, that would make the ultimate live version of WMT? In my opinion.

I didn't like the arrangement either on CA. I actually hate the way Alex plays his part.

I think the live version on a couple boots from the time - Mirrors comes to mind and maybe Charlotte are just incredible- I can't remember exactly, but they are incredible.

On the CA tour, maybe it was just the mix, but the low note in the main riff chord overpowered the rest of the chord, and it just didn't sound right. It's hard to say for sure, but it improved a bit when he switched to the ES-335 after the drum solo. Also, the opening bass solo sounded sloppy to me compared to RTB. Give me the version from Charlotte on the second leg of the RTB tour, or even the album version, over the CA version any day.

I prefer the 1992 version mainly because of the intro that Geddy does. If you listen to some of the boots from the RTB tour his intro reminds me of Jaco Pastorius

What the hell is Jaco Pastorius?

In case there's anyone who doesn't know the version you're talking about, here's a link:

Geddy's got his Yoko thing going on. There might be a better version on the Web somewhere, but this one has a pretty freaky solo.

• Like 1

RTB tour version by a mile. Concise, clear and on point. Alex playing along with the keys is critical for me as well. Gave it that "Rush" signature. This past tour it was ok…but sounded incoherent compared to this version from the RTB tour. Edited by Todem

I prefer the 1992 version mainly because of the intro that Geddy does. If you listen to some of the boots from the RTB tour his intro reminds me of Jaco Pastorius

A highlight for sure, that was actually my favorite part of that version of the song. I kind of wish he did more of that. When considering the actual song, 2012-13 is a no brainer for me. Going in, I wondered why they brought it back, but it didn't take long to convince me it would work and even be a set favorite of mine.

A highlight for sure, that was actually my favorite part of that version of the song. I kind of wish he did more of that. When considering the actual song, 2012-13 is a no brainer for me. Going in, I wondered why they brought it back, but it didn't take long to convince me it would work and even be a set favorite of mine.

Going in, I'm sure a lot of people wondered why they brought half that setlist back :LOL: great set, nonetheless.

In case there's anyone who doesn't know the version you're talking about, here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBTCZS-iPwI

Geddy's got his Yoko thing going on. There might be a better version on the Web somewhere, but this one has a pretty freaky solo.

Geddy's hopping around like an excited rabbit in that video, especially from 4:10 onward. Makes me wonder if he choreographs his dancing to this song in particular beforehand. Probably my favorite live video of the song.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Geddy's hopping around like an excited rabbit in that video, especially from 4:10 onward. Makes me wonder if he choreographs his dancing to this song in particular beforehand. Probably my favorite live video of the song.

Probably my least favorite Geddy outfit era. Never cared for the Mary Ingalls hair style either.

Edited by EagleMoon

Probably my least favorite Geddy outfit era. Never cared for the Mary Ingalls hair style either.

I almost hurled when I saw Geddy. Lerxst looks awesome, and I miss his long hair.

...Is Geddy wearing leggings???? And that hair is worse than the raccoon hair...he looks like a substitute elementary school teacher.

• Like 1

I almost hurled when I saw Geddy. Lerxst looks awesome, and I miss his long hair.

...Is Geddy wearing leggings???? And that hair is worse than the raccoon hair...he looks like a substitute elementary school teacher.

This video had the distinction of being the first ever :rush: related video I ever saw, and just seeing Geddy hopping around with "skinnier than leggings" jeans (or at least that's what I think it is) and a horrendous hybrid of Presto-era hair in the front and current Geddy hairstyle in the back would've been an instant turn off if I didn't like the music. Quick, someone forward this videot to Geddy so he can hurl at the sight of having something that's remotely close to being worse than the raccoon hat hair!

This video had the distinction of being the first ever :rush: related video I ever saw, and just seeing Geddy hopping around with "skinnier than leggings" jeans (or at least that's what I think it is) and a horrendous hybrid of Presto-era hair in the front and current Geddy hairstyle in the back would've been an instant turn off if I didn't like the music. Quick, someone forward this videot to Geddy so he can hurl at the sight of having something that's remotely close to being worse than the raccoon hat hair!

You know, it must be embarrassing to have all your fashion faux-pas out for all the world to see. Especially on retrospect. You could never just forget it and move on. You'd always have someone digging up a video like this for the multitudes to laugh at.