Constantine

war2112

I thought it was going to totally bite.

Mostly, I heard it sucked.

Well, I liked it. It wasn't "awesome" or anything but I really thought it was pretty good.

The highlight was absolutely and most certainly Tilda Swinton in the role of Gabriel. Gabriel is an angel (archangel?) and she just nails it.

Anyway, she was perfect in this role. She's always real good anyway (see The Deep End and you'll see what I mean).

Good for a rental, if only to check out her performance.

I went to see this with a totally open mind as I'm not much of a comicbook fan, in no way a Keanu Reeves fan and very much a Rachel Weiz fan.

I've got to say that it was nothing earthshattering but, all in all, a fairly enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

I'm starting to to really like war2112's movie tastes. I seem to agree with him on a lot of stuff. I think he's my long lost brother or something.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, I will check this one out in the next month or so.

cool.gif

Schro

Currently watching:

Undertow

I went to see Constantine when it was release in the cinemas, and I thought it was well worth seeing. On the contrary to Dweezil, I thought Keanu Reeves did an great job of playing Constantine!

I found the whole stroy and plot line was very interesting and kept me intreged for the couple of hours it was on. Deffinatly worth a look IMHO cool.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jul 24 2005, 05:33 AM)
I'm starting to to really like war2112's movie tastes. I seem to agree with him on a lot of stuff. I think he's my long lost brother or something.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, I will check this one out in the next month or so.

cool.gif

Schro

Currently watching:

Undertow

Hey, thanks bro Schro (I hope that's ok, it just sounded cool).

I would not mind having a long lost brother. Most of my nuclear family think I am a genetic abnormality; I simply could not come from the same stock!

Undertow - hmmm. I recall seeing this title somewhere though I don't recall the film's theme. I seem to remember reading good things about this picture, though.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jul 25 2005, 11:00 AM)
Keanu Reeves is the reason that I have not seen this movie.

He f***ing sucks at acting.

You know, you are essentially (hell, absolutely is more like it) correct. Keanu Reeves is probably the luckiest thespian on the face of the planet. The guy simply cannot act. That struck me as I was watching this particular film.

I thought to myself "Gee, I could probably play that role as well or better than he did". It seems he has roles tailored for his lack of talent because he does usually bring good box-office. It's not his talent; moviegoers just know that the story or action is probably going to be pretty decent to make up for his lack of acting skills.

Hollywood puts him in movies that have intriguing storylines - Reeves should be paying his agent double the going rate.

For this reason, I tend to actually like the guy pretty well. He's probably well aware of the fact that he's no Deniro or Brando, but he just does the best he can do. Admittedly, it's not much, but I have to give the guy credit for being able to land roles time and again despite his lack of acting chops. He's kind of like the Average

Joe at the box-office and that may explain part of the appeal.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 26 2005, 10:42 AM)

You know, you are essentially (hell, absolutely is more like it) correct. Keanu Reeves is probably the luckiest thespian on the face of the planet. The guy simply cannot act. That struck me as I was watching this particular film.

I thought to myself "Gee, I could probably play that role as well or better than he did". It seems he has roles tailored for his lack of talent because he does usually bring good box-office. It's not his talent; moviegoers just know that the story or action is probably going to be pretty decent to make up for his lack of acting skills.

Hollywood puts him in movies that have intriguing storylines - Reeves should be paying his agent double the going rate.

For this reason, I tend to actually like the guy pretty well. He's probably well aware of the fact that he's no Deniro or Brando, but he just does the best he can do. Admittedly, it's not much, but I have to give the guy credit for being able to land roles time and again despite his lack of acting chops. He's kind of like the Average

Anyway, you've also got Rachel Weiz in there drool1.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 26 2005, 12:28 PM)
[/quote]
Anyway, you've also got Rachel Weiz in there drool1.gif drool1.gif

yes.gif So true!

She is a total babe! That's the best my manly mind can come up with - total babe!

She's one of those select few that actually give me pause, make me stop to remember to breathe, make me ponder whether there is a God in Heaven and if so, He definitely knows how to make'em!

She's luscious!

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 26 2005, 05:47 PM)

Anyway, you've also got Rachel Weiz in there drool1.gif drool1.gif [/quote]
yes.gif So true!

She is a total babe! That's the best my manly mind can come up with - total babe!

She's one of those select few that actually give me pause, make me stop to remember to breathe, make me ponder whether there is a God in Heaven and if so, He definitely knows how to make'em!

She's luscious!

Plus its an added bonus that she's a pretty good actress as well.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 26 2005, 05:42 AM)

You forgot to add the fact that he's considered "hot", at least by every woman I know.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 26 2005, 05:42 AM)

I'm not a super fan of Keanu, but I'm fine with him.

To me he represents a stereotype, one that guys (and gals) can identify with. He doesn't go beyond his archetype, but I sincerely doubt people would want him too.

People complain that certain people can't act, but honestly, there's some "actors" that we really don't want to "act up a storm."

Does anyone want to see Gene Hackman play a gay waiter? Does anyone want to see Al Pacino as Rain Man?

Most would say no. I'm not saying Hackman or Pacino are bad actors by any stretch. But Gene plays a very similar character in most of his films, as does Pacino.

But noboby minds.

We don't mind, because we want Gene to play Gene. And we want Al to play a classic Pacino role. Because they're so damn good at it.

I'm not saying Keanu is in their league. He's not. But Keanu plays Keanu, and alot of people are ok with that, because he does do a decent job playing Keanu, and there's a place for a Keanu in some films, even if it's perhaps not as much effort as Gene playing Gene or Al playing Al.

Does anyone want to see Keanu play a gay waiter, even if he could? I wouldn't.

Some may disagree, but I put Keanu in more or less the same camp as Sandra Bullock. I've never considered her a great actress. But I recognize she plays a character type many women can identify with. She can't pull off Katherin Hepburn like Cate Blanchett did in The Aviator, but who's to say Sandra shouldn't be onscreen if women keep going to see her movies?

My two poker chips,

cool.gif

Schro

I don't want to see Keanu play anything.

I do not find him attractive.

He looks stoned most of the time, sounds stoned most of the time and acts stoned most of the time.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Hell, I'd take Jack Black over him. At least Jack has a personality.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jul 27 2005, 01:40 PM)
He looks stoned most of the time, sounds stoned most of the time and acts stoned most of the time.

I love Jack Black! smile.gif

I don't care for Keanu.

QUOTE (Schro @ Jul 27 2005, 02:18 PM)
P.S.  I'm sensing some hostility here.  I'll be in my cave if you need me.

I KNEW you were familiar for a reason! I'm in the cave next door. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jul 27 2005, 02:18 PM)
Cool, another fan from DFW!

Hey liquidcrystalcompass!

bekloppt.gif

Schro

P.S. I'm sensing some hostility here. I'll be in my cave if you need me.

Hello bekloppt.gif

Maybe the Keanu bashing is over and you can leave your cave.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 27 2005, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jul 27 2005, 01:40 PM)

I love Jack Black! smile.gif

I don't care for Keanu.

Tenacious D!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jul 27 2005, 01:36 PM)

To me he represents a stereotype, one that guys (and gals) can identify with. He doesn't go beyond his archetype, but I sincerely doubt people would want him too.

Some may disagree, but I put Keanu in more or less the same camp as Sandra Bullock. I've never considered her a great actress. But I recognize she plays a character type many women can identify with. She can't pull off Katherin Hepburn like Cate Blanchett did in The Aviator, but who's to say Sandra shouldn't be onscreen if women keep going to see her movies?

My two poker chips,

cool.gif

Schro

Two good points here.

One, Keanu does play a certain archetypal character that moviegoers expect to see. They know he's not going to bust out some DeNiro; it's just not in him. He's kind of like a comfort food in that regard.

Two, great comparison to Sandra Bullock. I also don't consider her a great actress, but she has a niche in physical comedy. She's real good at this stuff- perhaps one of the best in the business. She can branch a little more than Reeves, though (see Murder by Numbers). But still, she's not what I would consider a top-flight actress, but I have to reluctantly admit she is damn cute. I used to think she was too cute, but I've revised my thinking.

As an aside, that Kate Hepburn channeling from Cate Blanchett in The Aviator was just incredible. That literally, and I do mean literally, made my mouth hang open. I could not believe what I was seeing. I had to ask myself, how in the hell did this Aussie chick (an accomplished Aussie chick, no doubt) pull this off? Her performance was one for the ages.

P.S. Because I would feel a little guilty not mentioning it - Leo DiCaprio was very good in the role of Howard Hughes. He did a fine job.