What puzzles you?

The Analog Grownup

I'll start. I'm puzzled by people walking "together" where one of them is walking several feet ahead. Why? Especially couples do it. Doesn't seem like someone who cares about each other, but then why bother? I used to have friends who would constantly walk ahead of me, and I'm not walking in a slow pace, but then I figured it was a an attempt to assert some sort of dominance. Screw that I thought and I would slow down until they would realize they where 20-30 feet ahead of me and come back. Or if I got really pissed off I would just change my direction. Screw that! ;)

What puzzles you?

My golf swing puzzles me to no end. It's fantastic at the driving range, and then it's a nincompoop on the course. :eh: :banghead: :D Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

It puzzles me how the people who physically work the hardest for their money don't know how to stretch their dollars the farthest. They'll go to a convenience store, or truck stop, and pay excessive fees to have their check cashed, and pay more for their beer and cigs, and then buy lottery tickets.
  • Like 3

I'll start. I'm puzzled by people walking "together" where one of them is walking several feet ahead. Why? Especially couples do it. Doesn't seem like someone who cares about each other, but then why bother? I used to have friends who would constantly walk ahead of me, and I'm not walking in a slow pace, but then I figured it was a an attempt to assert some sort of dominance. Screw that I thought and I would slow down until they would realize they where 20-30 feet ahead of me and come back. Or if I got really pissed off I would just change my direction. Screw that! ;)

What puzzles you?

Actually kind of the opposite. When several people are walking together they will walk side by side. If you are walking by yourself in the opposite direction it seems to be a cultural assumption (in the US at least) that the lone walker get out of their way. I'm a big dude so I have performed informal experiments at no risk to me. If I hold straight on my path (to the far right though), the person on the far left will either run into me or have to dodge me at the last second. Such is the strong expectation that I should yield. This works even if that person is a small female. Try it sometime. It's the weirdest thing. It even works outdoors on a very wide walkway with as many as 5 in the oncoming group.

EDIT: I'm not talking just about strangers on the street. This is true in an office environment.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 3

What puzzles you?

Actually kind of the opposite. When several people are walking together they will walk side by side. If you are walking by yourself in the opposite direction it seems to be a cultural assumption (in the US at least) that the lone walker get out of their way. I'm a big dude so I have performed informal experiments at no risk to me. If I hold straight on my path (to the far right though), the person on the far left will either run into me or have to dodge me at the last second. Such is the strong expectation that I should yield. This works even if that person is a small female. Try it sometime. It's the weirdest thing. It even works outdoors on a very wide walkway with as many as 5 in the oncoming group.

Oh man, I hate that. Try facing a gang with strollers (also known as moms). My brother gave me this advice: Look to the sides or up in the air, anywhere but to the person going towards you. They'll see you don't have any clue where you're going and thus will avoid you. Works most of the times. Other times you get the douchebags bumping into your shoulder on purpose.

Kids can be annoying too. They are so erratic in their movements I get crazy. I used to stop and try to avoid them, but now I try not to. I'm actually doing them a favor as their parents don't give a shit about how their offspring fare among other people. It may hurt them when they bump into my slightly extended knee, but pain is a good motivator for learning.

:P

What puzzles you?

Oh man, I hate that. Try facing a gang with strollers (also known as moms). My brother gave me this advice: Look to the sides or up in the air, anywhere but to the person going towards you. They'll see you don't have any clue where you're going and thus will avoid you. Works most of the times. Other times you get the douchebags bumping into your shoulder on purpose.

Kids can be annoying too. They are so erratic in their movements I get crazy. I used to stop and try to avoid them, but now I try not to. I'm actually doing them a favor as their parents don't give a shit about how their offspring fare among other people. It may hurt them when they bump into my slightly extended knee, but pain is a good motivator for learning.

I didn't think anyone in the Scandinavian countries had kids. :huh:

What puzzles you?

Why not? :)

What puzzles you?

It was a bit of a joke, but you all have fertility rates under the replacement ratios. But I just looked it up and you're actually not as low as I thought, you're all at about 1.8.

• Like 1

What puzzles you?

It was a bit of a joke, but you all have fertility rates under the replacement ratios. But I just looked it up and you're actually not as low as I thought, you're all at about 1.8.

Damn I suck at getting these jokes :P. Yes, we don't multiply enough. Well the immigrants multiply a lot which concerns some people on the right.

I'm puzzled by people that see me in my wheelchair and feel the need to speak slowly and loudly......lol. Dudes my ears are fine. I'm just crippled, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

What puzzles you?

EDIT: I'm not talking just about strangers on the street. This is true in an office environment.

I should try this. Due to my profession, I am just programmed to "back down," and, unless I'm extremely angry, I just automatically back down. Yeah, I will definitely give it a try.

I'm puzzled by people that see me in my wheelchair and feel the need to speak slowly and loudly......lol. Dudes my ears are fine. I'm just crippled, lol

Mick

You're kidding me.

Mick

You're kidding me.

Happens over and over. right in my face shouting, lol You think people would be smarter.

Mick

Because you guys are so much more advanced than us (the US). ;)

I saw a segment on The Daily Show about Google Glasses. How did people get convinced that they would be closer to reality by sticking some technology close to their eye? If you wan't the ultimate reality then throw your smartphone in the toilet, throw your computer, laptop or tablet out the window and step outside in the fresh air and see for yourself! Reality is analog! ;)
  • Like 2

Why hockey is not bigger than soccer in all of the world. I mean, soccer players pretend they're hurt - hockey players pretend they're not. Says a lot.

It's hard to create a hockey rink in most parts of the world. And you have to be able to skate and have a stick, puck, net, pads. Wtih soccer you need a ball and you can play. Much easier to pick up and play. But hockey should still be bigger than it is.

• Like 1

Why hockey is not bigger than soccer in all of the world. I mean, soccer players pretend they're hurt - hockey players pretend they're not. Says a lot.

It's hard to create a hockey rink in most parts of the world. And you have to be able to skate and have a stick, puck, net, pads. Wtih soccer you need a ball and you can play. Much easier to pick up and play. But hockey should still be bigger than it is.

I know people who enroll their kids in youth hockey and pay hundreds (if not over $1000) for one year. Many of the great soccer players started out with a ball at most in poverty you can't even find in America. Cost is probably the foremost reason for soccer's popularity...but still it's excruciating to watch at times. Comparing soccer at even the elite level of the World Cup with the Stanley Cup Finals just concluded. There's so much more action in hockey it's not even funny.

• Like 2

Which reminds me that Denmark is hosting the World Cup of Hockey in 2018. I'm finally going to see all the big hockey nations in my own country! Double win :D

*World Championship.

It's a joke. All the big NHL Players are either going to be in the playoffs or won't bother joining Canada or the US. But it should still be an exciting tourney for you to attend.

• Like 1