What tour would you go back to see if you had a time machine?

YYZumbi

133 members have voted

1. 1. What tour would you go and see?

• Rush Tour
    • Fly By Night Tour
    • Down The Tubes Tour (Caress Of Steel)
    • 2112 Tour
    • All The World's A Stage Tour
    • Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings)
    • Hemispheres Tour
    • Permanent Waves Tour
    • Moving Pictures Tour
    • Exit Stage...Left Tour
    • Tour Of The Nadars (Signals)
    • Grace Under Pressure Tour
    • Second Tour Of The Nadars (Power Windows)
    • Hold Your Fire Tour
    • Presto Tour
    • Roll The Bones Tour
    • Counterparts Tour
    • Test For Echo Tour
    • Vapor Trails Tour
    • 30th Anniversary Tour
    • Snakes & Arrows Tour
    • Time Machine Tour
    • Clockwork Angels Tour

I went for the Hold Your Fire Tour. Before the Clockwork Angels Tour happened it would have been the Power Windows tour, but that tour has a good mix of songs from Power Windows, the then new songs off of Hold Your Fire, and a fair mix of old too. Other Tempting ones would be to go back to a Permanent Waves Show (For Xanadu and Jacob's Ladder), back to the Test for Echo Tour (first leg, not the second), or go back to the Clockwork Angels Show in Winnipeg again (So far my favorite that I have seen). Or wait, Could I travel to the future to see a concert yet to come?!

Moving Pictures isn't my favorite album (third), but I had to go with that tour. The setlist still features enough of the earlier classics, while giving us PeW and MP material as well. Signals is my favorite album, but by that tour a bit more of the classic 70s material had fallen off the setlist.

Also, it would have been cool to see them when they were widely recognized as a top rock band. I watched them on MTV during that time, but I was still a young boy and couldn't yet attend concerts. It would have been cool to experience that particular brand of energy and popularity live.

The Moving Pictures tour was the first time I saw them live. I don't remember the audience being particularly wild or anything. Just your typical rock concert audience. But audiences were a lot more crazy back then from what I remember. Probably due to the illegal substances people were partaking in. I would love to go back and see that concert again.

Thank you for sharing this perspective. I was just thinking of the segment in the Beyond the Lighted Stage film where Neil talks about how Rush was on top at that moment, how all the kids in school were like "Hey man, you going to see Rush?" "Yeah man, I got my tickets!"

I guess I wouldn't want a more obnoxious audience anyway, which can be the case for a bandwagon band.

• Like 2

Tour of the Hemispheres. Kenny stated it very well, great musicianship and that voice - Priceless!

Well, if you can only use the time machine once, you'd be stuck wherever you go. If you choose the Rush tour, then you (eventually) get to see all of them.

I didn't think of that, but I feel super clever choosing the Rush tour now. :blush:

• Like 1

Well, if you can only use the time machine once, you'd be stuck wherever you go. If you choose the Rush tour, then you (eventually) get to see all of them.

so you're the rush geek the journalists won't shut up about? :P

Down the Tubes because there are no quality boots from the tour and there are from all the others.

And knowing what we know now I would love to tell them I'm from the future and trust me, it's all going to work out just fine.

NO, Don't tell them anything! you should take a lesson from Marty McFly here and leave the space time continuum alone.. I like 2112 just the way it is thank you ;)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

I would go back to Farewell to Kings tour so I could see Rush AND UFO in their prime :) Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 3

Lets say that you had a time machine, but you could only use it once, to go and see a Rush concert, what tour would you see then and why?

Go back to 1974 and then just . . . stay?

Ah...I see someone already had this idea...

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Come on. Permanent Waves setlist was incredible.

It had almost all of 2112

Cygnus X-1 Book's I & II

La Villa

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

Xanadu

The addition of those Permanent Waves songs makes it trump the Hemispheres tour.

Edited by savagegrace26

First choice would be the mysterious COS tour headlining show (which has never been confirmed to exit) with Fountain Of Lamneth

Hemispheres would be incredible, so that would be my backup

Honorable mention - Some dive bar in the greater Toronto area around 71/72. Would be interesting to see them play songs you are not familiar with and a bunch of covers.

Hemispheres, no question. It is their strongest set, with only PeW, MP, T4E and R30 coming close.

However, if I were given some high quality and easily concealed recording gear, I'd bite the bullet and go to a headlining CoS show, just to settle the Lamneth myth once and for all.

I see someone here had the idea of a second choice. In that case, I would go with Grace Under Pressure just so I could see The Weapon, and Alex, Geddy and Neil at their finest looks-wise. Incredible energy.

Has anyone here wondered what they think when they watch videos of their old concerts? I have, and I wonder what they think.

Has anyone here wondered what they think when they watch videos of their old concerts? I have, and I wonder what they think.

Geddy: "Oh my gawd, can you believe I used to sing that high?!"

Alex: "Oh my gawd, look at all that hair I used to have!"

Neil: "Oh my gawd, I don't look completely grumpy!"

• Like 1

Geddy: "Oh my gawd, can you believe I used to sing that high?!"

Alex: "Oh my gawd, look at all that hair I used to have!"

Neil: "Oh my gawd, I don't look completely grumpy!"

:Alex: I wish I could still hop around on stage like that.

:geddy: I wish we could still kick our legs up that high.

:Neil: I wish you two would just shut up.

• Like 4

I chose Snakes & Arrows not because it was all that amazing of a tour - although it WAS a good show...

I chose this tour because i saw this show at 5 different venues in Canada & the States and met some of the most amazing people that are still friends in my life.

Met all 3 admins of this forum... :blush:

and had the best time ever creating these friendships and meeting people - members of this board from all over the world. i would LOVE to do it all over again...

Pagscon , Party at the Exxon! Cincicon, Ladicon, London Ontario, Toronto...

I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

:coy:

• Like 4

I chose Snakes & Arrows not because it was all that amazing of a tour - although it WAS a good show...

I chose this tour because i saw this show at 5 different venues in Canada & the States and met some of the most amazing people that are still friends in my life.

Met all 3 admins of this forum... :blush:

and had the best time ever creating these friendships and meeting people - members of this board from all over the world. i would LOVE to do it all over again...

Pagscon , Party at the Exxon! Cincicon, Ladicon, London Ontario, Toronto...

I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

:coy:

That would be one of the highlights of going to a Rush concert - meeting in person those I have come to know here.

• Like 2

I'd love to see Caress of Steel played live, and there's no good boots of these shows.

If I wanted more bang for my buck, I'd probably go with Hemispheres.

as someone who has seen every tour since, AFTK, I would easily say Moving Pictures. just look at the setlist

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)

Freewill

Limelight

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Beneath, Between and Behind

The Camera Eye

YYZ

Drum Solo

YYZ

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Closer To The Heart

Tom Sawyer

Vital Signs

Natural Science

Working Man (reggae intro)

Hemispheres (Armageddon)

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->

In the End

In The Mood

2112 (Grand Finale)

Encore: La Villa Strangiato (electric guitar intro)

Easily the Hemispheres Tour. The voice plus most of the best of their proggy seventies genius. If I could pick two I'd go with T4E though, if only for the full 2112.